Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G60 Vs VR6

G60 Vs VR6

Hello all.

Am wondering what the differences are between the two other than the obvious engine, and 4/5 stud wheel/brakes.

Is there a difference in the track similar to the difference between a mk3 golf 4cylinder and mk3 VR6? anything else? Cheers.

mk2 GTi 16v
    Corrado G60

Yep pretty much mate, VR's had a wider rear beam, same as Golf VR Mk3 set up at the front, wider by 10mm. G60 standard wheels were ET33 and standard VR were ET43, so the centre line is shifted out but the outside of the rim is in the same place.

Bodies are slightly different depending on age, the early 4 cyl Corrados had a bonnet like this -_- and the VR's were like this _-_ (buldge in the middle), and the front guards were slightly wider. Early 4 cyl and early VR6 had slightly different bumpers, the swage line is different and the fogs and indicators are more set back. Pre '92 also had more slats in the front grill. Early (pre '92 except G60's) had different dashboards too. The heater controls are all dials rather than sliders, they moved the electric window switches. Have a look at some pics on the-corrado.net you'll see what i mean. I think that's about it.

Thanks for making me realise what a nerd i am, logging out

fogs and indicators are different early to late as well,earlys are seperate and the later ones the fogs are part of the housing(v.expensive to source and replace). Iirc there are differences in the headlights as well as the grills.

The g60 is meant to be a more balanced handling car but a vr6 will always beat the G

Yeah daz is right, the headlights are different, so are the actual fog light/indicator set ups.
    Biggest changes are the dash really, they are the same shape but the heater grills, indicator stalks, switches, ash tray etc are all different, door cards are much different too. I've only seen a few early VR's with early dash set ups.

the reason I ask is, am being tempted again..... few cars around for sale at the moment, no "real" vr6 ones, but not sure if I should wait forever to find a VR6 if the only real benefit is the sound??

Anyone else care to comment on the handling attributes of either or?

mk2 GTi 16v
    Corrado G60

You mean 'real' as in having all the later dash/bumpers etc?

I've never driven a VR6, so can't compare them. The G60 was amazing around a corner though!

Damn import laws eh! I want my Rallye!

well by real I mean the red VR6 may have a 2.9 VR but wasn't it originally a 4cylinder?

mk2 GTi 16v
    Corrado G60

Nope, it is an original VR, just an early one, with early interior, bumpers, fogs etc. Has the bulge bonnet. Not sure where it came from originally, it'd have to of been europe somewhere i reckon. Was a LHD though.

Ah thanks for that, will keep that in mind, personally I wouldn't want an early one or one that'd been converted.

Just have to work out if I'd be satisfied with a G60....

mk2 GTi 16v
    Corrado G60

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ausgolfer View Post
    Ah thanks for that, will keep that in mind, personally I wouldn't want an early one or one that'd been converted.

Just have to work out if I'd be satisfied with a G60....
    A G60 sounds pretty good with a chip and pulley on. Even with a standard airbox. With head work and a cam they make more power than you could get cheaply from the VR6.

I have been in my mates Storm in Adelaide a few times and it and VRs in general go really well, just not as good on the twisties.

There is a chance of getting a G60 but not much of getting a VR6...

Gavin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast