Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G60 Vs VR6

Quote Originally Posted by ausgolfer View Post
    Ah thanks for that, will keep that in mind, personally I wouldn't want an early one or one that'd been converted.

Just have to work out if I'd be satisfied with a G60....
    Yeah i know what you're saying, i like the look of that Mk2 16V for sale, but it's not an original so i'm put off by it. I want a 'real' one too!

What Gav is saying is true though, they go well and don't cost too much to get more power out of. G60 vs VR6 an age old debate, lots of pros and cons for both, the VR6 is a great engine and what the Corrado is known for, so you'll probably always want one if you want one now!
    To be honest i miss my Mk4 R32 more than the Corrado. And it's a close one between the Mk2's i've had too. Are you bored with either of yours?

Thanks for the advice guys, still doesn't make it any easier. I can just imagine the awesome looks of a Corrado with the awesome sound of a VR6 coming from it and I have a moment...

Yeah I am bored with the R32, no doubt its a rock solid, reliable, awesome car, am still blown away by the fact is has no squeaks or rattles. But I'm just not in love with it like I am the mk2.

I've always been more of an induction noise fan myself as opposed to exhaust, and the R32 just doesn't have that same induction as the VR6.
    Last edited by ausgolfer; 13-04-2012 at 11:27 AM.

mk2 GTi 16v
    Corrado G60

Users Country Flag
    I might have someone for your R32 Carl! That's one step in the right direction!

Gavin

Early vs late, i thought Jonny's was a '92, but his bumper is an early one. Haven't got a pic of the front of it.

Not the best photos but if you can zoom in you'll see the differences more clearly..

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Actually, i did have a pic of Jonny's, looks like a late bonnet to me;

Grrrr. It does look like a late one. Does look in good condition. Why can't they all be VR6's!!!!

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Do any corrados have a/c as standard?

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

The G60 doesn't have a/c not sure I could go without it now

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ausgolfer View Post
    Grrrr. It does look like a late one. Does look in good condition. Why can't they all be VR6's!!!!

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Do any corrados have a/c as standard?

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

The G60 doesn't have a/c not sure I could go without it now
    Not on the RHD ones. Nigel's Storm has a really expensive dealer fit system in it which works great. It's a combination of MK2 and 3 Golf stuff IIRC. He has a full set of diagrams and parts list too.

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    i Ausgolfer,

My VR6 Storm is still with me and looking better than ever after a good detailing and going over with a clay bar and carnauba polish, leather treatment and all plastics detailed!! She is a beauty, and as Gavin said, she has the very rare Aircon dealer fit option that works very well. She is fully serviced here by German autos, who know their stuff better that VW Solitaire regarding unusual cars.
    So if you're still interested in her then ping me a reply to this mail. As I said before, everything has a price and is for sale!!
    I don't agree with Gavin on the drive-ability front (sorry Gav), I think the VR6 is an absolute blinder to drive down good country twisty roads, plus has plenty of good old bollocks for a straight line run. The G60 id good but fragile (although G60 owners would never admit that). I commute 69kms to work and back again, so sometimes when the weather is perfect, I take her for a blast. My journey is over demanding twisty roads and I think she is still one of the best cars I have ever, ever driven, and I have driven heaps of good cars....a perfect drivers car. That VR6 mill on full song is something to die for. I had her wound up to 225kms a few weeks back as some chancer in a VE V8 ute was trying it on... ha ha... he was history mate!
    I love it!

Nige

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag
    I fitted one of those Ac kits back in the day, OMG no way again, still mind you i fitted one to an Audi 90 Quattro 7a so yeah it was heaps worse. I went on the factory course when the AAA and the ABV was released, i was converted from the Glader then, its great but i too love the VR.
    Cheers
    Jmac
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

Users Country Flag

Ha ha,

Yeah, I have a copy of the official 'Diavia' install manual for the Corrado VR6 aircon fit. You're right, its not just a bolt in thing, heaps of cutting and modifying of the shell, taking out major under dash items, fitting the a/c rad to the engine rad (front end of the car off, including slam panel), etc etc.... must have been scary taking a power drill and file to a brand new zero miles £22000 storm!
    Funny thing is when I got mine, I noticed that the fan speed was the same on 1,2 and 3, but fast on 4. I did some troubleshooting and found the fitter had hooked up the resistor pack incorrectly from new! So I was surprised the original owner hadn't spotted it. From memory the resistor pack is a Fiat or Lancia part??? The whole kit is a bit of a parts bin special really, but it does work quite well and is better than no a/c at all! Funny thing is that the US models had a/c as a factory fit by Karmann using the old Golf MK2 vacuum system, so why you couldn't get that for the UK models is a bit of a mystery to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    I fitted one of those Ac kits back in the day, OMG no way again, still mind you i fitted one to an Audi 90 Quattro 7a so yeah it was heaps worse. I went on the factory course when the AAA and the ABV was released, i was converted from the Glader then, its great but i too love the VR.
    Cheers
    Jmac

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12