Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: VW T5.1 excessive oil use

I suppose the water could be from a degrease as someone may have gotten a bit over the top with a gurney , the oil dropping that much is a concern . There could be a couple of reasons bad rings blowby from the turbo , if there was an issue with water getting into the engine itself then I would imagine the oil on the dipstick would show that or at worse an increase in level as it would mix partiually with the oil . But telling would be if it was water getting into the engine you would see a drop in the water cannister level. When our water pump went it would use a litre of water every 100 km's or so .

Water level is dropping, I can smell it sometimes. Probably from Max to min every 1000k or so?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ozgti; 03-01-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I had to recently replace a crappy little water junction with a temp sender bolted onto the head.
    Had to remove a lot of stuff to get to it.
    When I got it off, it looked like they at 'nicked' the seal on installation at the factory.
    Lasted over 300kms though!

Number 3 in this diagram.

VW T5.1 excessive oil use-n19-10418-png

The culprit....

VW T5.1 excessive oil use-a19-10642-png

At the back there's a special, orange O ring/seal that VW sell.............but the whole unit with the sender was under $100 and the amount of work to get to it, it was best to replace the whole thing.
    This might not be your problem but it took about three weeks before the leak became prominent enough to see where it was coming from.
    That said, I do over 300KMS a day so on casual driving, it may well take longer.
    (no oil problems though)

edit - this is a CAAC engine.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag
    So i got a quote from VW....I also noticed a rattling from the flywheel which sounded like it had marbles in it.

I called VW who quoted.

Engine and Gaskets $7113

Flywheel $1742

Oil $130

Labour $3050

Total $12035

(But i wouldn't get a 2 year warranty on the motor)

To get a 2 year warranty, i also need...

$1435 Cat Convertor

$1782 DPF

$110 Sleeve and Clamp

$426 o2 Sensor.

So total is $15,788

Insurance would write most vans off for that!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Yep. Definitely speak to your insurance company and see if they cover mechanical failures. Some do.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Park it on a steep hill like I did even with the handbrake on and in gear it still rolled down our hill , luckily it went very slowly against the compression or lack thereof and finally came to rest against another car and power pole . Insurance fixed both cars and mine got a full repaint from door to door and it was 12 years old at the time !! Now you didn,t hear that from me or on this Forum , but food for thought or wait untill the next big hailstorm .

Users Country Flag
    it would be interesting to see a third party quote, if you do get one, can you post the prices?

i'd be rebuilding the engine without the DPF.

its just plain stupid pricing from VW, when its their DPF design that is causing the issues.
    2017 VW T6 3200KG GVM LWB 132kW 7 Speed DSG (Campervan Conversion)

Users Country Flag
    VW Australia have refused assistance due to age. I will be escalating it, contacting consumer affairs and pursuing this at the highest levels. We have been failed by VW since they recognise the engine is failing prematurely but are hoping for it to happen out of warranty.

My EGR was the suffix 'A' model. You can find it by looking directly below your bonnet catch for a metal plate with a sticker on it. The letter on the end is the suffix. The only one that doesn't break down prematurely is suffix 'D'

Has anyone had any luck with VW after there initial rejecting goodwill request "due to age of the vehicle"?

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast