Support VWWC

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: VW T5.1 excessive oil use

Users Country Flag

I noticed that the just announced New D Max has gotten a larger 3 litre Turbo Diesel instead of the smaller 2.5 Litre for the Europeans.

The old engines were 2.8 litre if i recall so it is a small increase, but heading the right way.

I do think, that the tech guys are quite amazing to get the amount of power out of the smaller diesels, but i think that durability is sacrificed in the process, regardless of the materials used, pressure brings out any failures within the material, sooner than later.

Less stress = longer life, well in theory

Be nice to see a small V6 turbo diesel 3 litre framed in that front end of the Transporter.

Well they had a V6 petrol one in the T4 but probably due to the surge in diesel popularity at the time it was dropped , I do believe it was a bit thirsty on fuel .

Users Country Flag
    Not emissions friendly, either.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Well they had a V6 petrol one in the T4 but probably due to the surge in diesel popularity at the time it was dropped , I do believe it was a bit thirsty on fuel .

V6 Petrols do like a drink around town and when loaded

Users Country Flag
    The dealership just sent me my engine number it is a CFC engine then followed by numbers, i thought it would be a CFA motor, but it doesn't say what version.

Where do you find out that Info?

I pick it up on Tuesday after a process lasting almost 7-8 months.

But to an ordering issue, which wasn't my fault, the lift for the van won't be here for another 2 months

So i have a perfectly good van sitting in the carpark for 2 months until I can use it

What and VW cared about emissions ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Not emissions friendly, either.

Users Country Flag
    To be fair, at least they discontinued it, rather than cover up pollution issues.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn23 View Post
    Less stress = longer life, well in theory

Be nice to see a small V6 turbo diesel 3 litre framed in that front end of the Transporter.
    ...and in a real life as well.

Not all manufacturers went the same route - downsizing madly. At least VW realized that it's not a right time for it.

Look at the USA car market, the V8 6.7L petrol engine for passenger cars are very popular there and they still meets the emission standards, isn't that amazing? Or is the world that stupid.

I would imagine with all the VR6 engines in Golfs etc that they could have fitted one to the T5 with a few mods at production . All those Golfs had up to date emission gear on them anyway . Lets face it the world was all buzzing about how great these new diesel engines were with economy so every car maker jumped on the band wagon . Look at the American market can you imagine a Dodge Ram or Chev pick up or F250 with a small 4 cylinder 2.0 litre engine turbo or not ? the American car buyers would have strung them up by their family jewels . That's why they have stuck to V6 or V8 engines petrol and diesel .

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    ...and in a real life as well.

Not all manufacturers went the same route - downsizing madly. At least VW realized that it's not a right time for it.

Look at the USA car market, the V8 6.7L petrol engine for passenger cars are very popular there and they still meets the emission standards, isn't that amazing? Or is the world that stupid.

In theory comment covers my view 100%, in real life it does vary depending on the engine manufacturer, hence the in theory comment.

But it just common sense that a less stressed engine will survive longer.

As for the USA, of course they love their V8's we would to if we were paying $2.21 US for a gallon. (thats just a US average from Oct 2016 for regular unleaded, each state varies)

Thats $2.91 AUD for 3.78 Litres, i for one would be driving around in a V8 if i was paying those prices here.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast