Support VWWC

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: VW T5.1 excessive oil use

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn23 View Post
    ... i still can't get my head around $17k
    I know. It's like the quotes keep going up in 5k increments everytime someone posts here. I've decided to keep my 2010, in part because I didn't want to offload such a potential timebomb onto some other poor unsuspecting soul. I think I've decided when I get my first repair bill I judge is not worth paying I'll just wreck my vehicle and then try to find something else simple and reliable that I can stand to drive...or ride a bike
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

Users Country Flag
    A few guys on the CFCA oil FB page have now done the complete DPF EGR delete with some pretty good results. One of the guys has put larger oil coolers on to help but his van never goes over 95°c and runs like a trooper. I've had my first oil test come back with high Ai & Si but I hope it's because the EGR was replaced half way though the service. It's now had another complete VW service and I need to do 5000km before the next test to see how the EGR is performing.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/vwcfca/

Users Country Flag
    It would be good to have a proper temperature gauge in these vans!
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

You can buy a HUD unit which connects to the OBD port it gives a temp readout along with other stuff W02 Car HUD Head Up Projector Display OBD Interface Speed Warning Speedometer | eBay

Users Country Flag

DISASTER 2.0L T5 2011 Oil Consumption

EDIT: Head to page 8, you will find two people who have had the issue repaired under goodwill (both 2nd owners AND out of the warranty period), there is also a link to a facebook group, the group has details on which code you need to lool for on your EGR cooler if your motor is using LARGE amounts of oil, see my original post below...

Hey Guys,

Just found out my ex ambulance engine has broken/worn piston rings and needs a replacement. It sucked through 5Litres of oil in 2000kms

I know theres a thread somewhere on here about someone elses who has had the same problem.

Its the CFCA engine code. 2011 T5.1 2.0L Biturbo 132KW model

Has anyone managed to replace theirs?? and cheaply? I have found a couple of replacments on gumtree and ebay. But I want to fit it out as a camped and am scared it will just happen again.

Dal Jones Automotive Ltd / Porsche BMW and All German Engine Rebuilds

The guys above supply a rebuilt motor which they claim will not lose oil.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by saltd0g; 09-05-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Want to write at the top a solution was found head to page 8

Well for a start the rebuilding place is in the UK , I would hate to think how much the freight would be for a whole engine !! I would get in touch with this crowd for starters ASV Euro Car Parts – European Auto Spares, they may be able to find a late model engine for you or they may know of someone who does reco work . But a warning I asked a diesel engine rebuilding company at Nerang on the Gold Coast some years back about rebuilding my son's T4 diesel engine 2.4 litre OUCH ! they told me it could cost around $12000 to do a complete overhaul . So I bought a whole good working T4 van off ebay for $3600 pulled the 2.5 petrol engine out gearbox fuel tank lines and electrics and exhaust and did a transplant . The son got a great more powerful engine and we refitted the old diesel back in to the Ebay van did some panel and paint and general tidy up and managed to sell it back on Ebay for close to $6000 !! How many kays has the van done by the way ?

Users Country Flag
    This is common, see T5-Life
    Also Facebook Page

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Well for a start the rebuilding place is in the UK , I would hate to think how much the freight would be for a whole engine !! I would get in touch with this crowd for starters ASV Euro Car Parts – European Auto Spares, they may be able to find a late model engine for you or they may know of someone who does reco work . But a warning I asked a diesel engine rebuilding company at Nerang on the Gold Coast some years back about rebuilding my son's T4 diesel engine 2.4 litre OUCH ! they told me it could cost around $12000 to do a complete overhaul . So I bought a whole good working T4 van off ebay for $3600 pulled the 2.5 petrol engine out gearbox fuel tank lines and electrics and exhaust and did a transplant . The son got a great more powerful engine and we refitted the old diesel back in to the Ebay van did some panel and paint and general tidy up and managed to sell it back on Ebay for close to $6000 !! How many kays has the van done by the way ?
    I reckon you could buy a new engine off VW for that!
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

You are probably right , lets face it parts are ridiculous in price these days from dealers . I have had two Mercedes B class cars in the last month which have had damaged sunroofs . Both cars were written off by the insurance company because Merc wanted $10000 just for the whole sunroof , the cars were only insured for around 8 to 10 grand . A gearbox for a T series would be around $10 k mark from the dealers and engine around the same , to me thats pretty hard to swallow the engine is worth almost one quater of the vans original cost . The article Andrew posted is pretty alarming as it seems VW knows there is an issue and I would have thought if anyones engine was a victim they should replace it free of charge .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 30-11-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Users Country Flag

Well thats crap, if i recall there were a few guys on here how pressure VW Aus..

I don't know if they got any %%% off a new engine through goodwill.

but it is worth sending them a private message, as this might give you an idea on recourse of a known manufacturing issue.
    2017 VW T6 3200KG GVM LWB 132kW 7 Speed DSG (Campervan Conversion)

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast