Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Towing with Multivan

Users Country Flag

I have done a few Ks now, towing a van with a T5. HR towbar rated for 2500Kg. Van I have been towing is a nominal 16 ft, independent suspension with airbags. Van has the axle line set quite a long way back but the ball weight is easy to keep just under the 100 Kg by taking some care with load distribution. Static ball weight is about 92 Kg. Water tanks in the van are just either side of the axle line and the house batteries and fridge sit just either side of the axle line. I specifically bought a van with low standard ball weight and all the heavy stuff close to the axle line and very little mass towards the ends. Van has an ATM of 2200 Kg but I ensure it is never over 2000 Kg if it is going on the back of the T5. T5 is a 4 Motion and weighs a good 30% more than the van when I travel. I don't flog the setup around corners or down the road. I want to tow to WA next year and use the campervan for those side trips into the NPs and when parked up for a week or two.

Bottom line is that the van is easy to match up to the T5's towing limits and follows its lead without problems. I just work with what I have and don't need to worry about any upgrades to towing capacity.

Iza

Since my last post I have purchased a tandem off-road caravan, all up around 2 ton with a ball weight of about 180kg, so reasonably heavy beast. To park it in my carport I had to get a special hitch fabricated which raises the drawbar due to clearance issues. Doesn't work with my dual cab 4wd ute, so I thought I'd have a go with my kombi beach. Actually does the job quite admirably, and after towing in and out of the driveway, and with a slight incline I am actually pretty impressed with the capability. I think it does that little job well. I hope my clutch agrees though as there is some intricate manoeuvres required!

Users Country Flag

towing with multivan

Quote Originally Posted by pjondeck View Post
    Hi Scott
    The Engineer's name is Ray Spence. He is on 0409360171. He can modify to Australian standards so it is acceptable in all states.
    Contrary to Hillbilly's advice it IS legal to make engineering changes to a tow-bar, it can of course only be done by an engineer qualified and licenced to make those changes. On the multivan there is a beam across the back just behind the towbar which even had threaded bolt points that looked like they were meant for it. The Tiguan might be a whole different proposition and he would need to see it to know if it can be done. You probably wouldn't achieve much gain in towed mass but the down-mass on the ball is usually the issue with European vehicles. The problem for you might be that he is in the ACT and you would want to know before you make the purchase.
    I'll keep an eye on the forum if you have any more questions that I might be able to help with.
    Good luck
    Peter
    Peter, this is great info as we were questioning the same thing whilst looking at a new one. How does the multivan tow with that sort of weight on the back? and are you using the bigger engine?

Cheers Pete

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pjondeck View Post
    Hi Scott
    The Engineer's name is Ray Spence. He is on 0409360171. He can modify to Australian standards so it is acceptable in all states.
    Contrary to Hillbilly's advice it IS legal to make engineering changes to a tow-bar, it can of course only be done by an engineer qualified and licenced to make those changes. On the multivan there is a beam across the back just behind the towbar which even had threaded bolt points that looked like they were meant for it. The Tiguan might be a whole different proposition and he would need to see it to know if it can be done. You probably wouldn't achieve much gain in towed mass but the down-mass on the ball is usually the issue with European vehicles. The problem for you might be that he is in the ACT and you would want to know before you make the purchase.
    I'll keep an eye on the forum if you have any more questions that I might be able to help with.
    Good luck
    Peter
    Peter, this is great info as we were questioning the same thing whilst looking at a new one. How does the multivan tow with that sort of weight on the back? and are you using the bigger engine?

Cheers Pete

I'm real surprised and shocked that the T5 can only have a ball weight of 100kg.
    My last car could carry 180kg on the ball weight and it was a soft-roader (Evoque) I actually bought the T5 to carry by bike (dirtbike) on the back of but now.....

Looking at the spec for the 2018 Multivan shows it has a 2500kg tow rating now, still with 100kg ball weight. Will have to double check to make sure mine has the correct hitch fitted when I get it, not that I'd pull the full 2500kg it's nice to have that headroom when towing.

Users Country Flag
    Just had to check my own specs and thought I'd post it - T5 2010 LWB 103kw 6spd manual;
    Towing specs - towball weight 100kg - Brake:2000kg Unbrake:750kg
    Hayman Reece towbar trailer only – part 02911R - 100kg towball - 2000kg
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

Users Country Flag
    As we have a lift tailgate not barn doors when using the Hayman Reese weight distribution hitch we were unable to open the tailgate with the caravan attached.

I stopped in to Autobarn and bought a new tow hitch yesterday, this one can be fitted "up" or "down" unlike the genuine VW one which has strengthening ribs welded underneath so is unable to be fitted upside down.

Happy with the result, now we can open the tailgate to get our dogs in and out without having to remove the caravan (it was a PITA on the recent trip to Adelaide stopping and removing the caravan to toilet the dogs).

Apologies for the dodgy picture it was getting dark last night when I test fitted and test drove.

Towing with Multivan-20180515_091325-jpg

When I was a young fellah we did a hell of a lot of heavy towing the old man's trailer sailer, approx 2.5 t fully loaded, with mum, dad and 4 boys in the car. We would tow from Brisbane to Airlie beach and back again, did that twice in fact. Also Brisbane to Hervey Bay and back every September for at least 10 years. the old man's best mate had the exact same boat but towed with a Leyland P76, we had an old V8 Ford Fairlane and then changed to a Landcruiser. They both swore black and blue they would never be without their Hayman Reese weight distribution hitches (or sway bays as they were called back then). When the old man retired and decided to do a lap of the country towing a caravan the first thing he did after buying the van was fit another set of H.R. sway bars. They pretty much eliminate sway altogether and help keep plenty of weight on the front wheels of the tow vehicle. The windage off big semis going flat out in the other direction never bothered us but we sure did see plenty of other rigs getting all out of shape.

I've recently done a bit of heavyish towing with my T5..... About 2t ??? It was surprisingly good on the highway, took a little while to get wound up of course but under 90kph it was very safe. Over that it became a bit more marginal, you only needed to hit a few bumps and she would start to sway a little bit. Some HR sway bars would have been lovely. I think the vans are generally pretty good for towing because of the huge wheelbase, but the biggest problem I've always had is the tow bar is way to low which certainly does not help, especially with a dual axle trailer. I think ideally it needs to be a good 200mm higher over the standard towbars.

Cheers,

Sherwy.
    Last edited by Sherwy; 15-06-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123