Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tailgate Tyre/Jerrycan carrier.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by saltd0g View Post
    If you have the dollars Tyre Trek, 4WD, Rear Bar, Tyre Carrier, Jerry Can Holder, Tow Bar Mounted Tyre Carrier, Swing Away Mounted Tyre Carrier, 4WD Accessories, Australian Made have an unreal mount for spare wheel and two jerries! The plus is you can put it in the shed when not using it, when i start touring there is a good chance thats what i will be getting!!! I want it mainly so i can hang two bikes off of the spare!
    Saltd0g, I have a different version of that tyre carrier and I find it very cumbersome. Now the Tyre Trek does look a lot better. The carrier I have weighs about 50kg unloaded so that is a lot of weight hanging out the back of the van, then put on two jerrycans and a tyre is a fair amount of weight. The Tyre Trek appears a lot lighter than that and is easier to mount with the tightening bolt at the back, I need about a 400mm extension on the socket spanner to tighten mine.

I will persevere with the tailgate idea and see how it works or not as the case maybe. I saw the Tyre Trek after I bought mine but isn't that always the way.

Bruce CQ

Users Country Flag
    Just wonder if this model will survive rough roads

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...33a366e655.jpg

Users Country Flag
    Tailgate Tyre/Jerrycan carrier.-photo-2-jpg

I bought a Tiregate and modified it.

Its ok but clearance with tailgate when opening is very tight. I had to make shims up to avoid contact.

It was flogged out over time and flaps around a lot.
    If doing it again I'd design my own using a trailer axle system like many tyre carriers on 4wds, but still mount off reece hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bug View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of being able to open the tailgate without having to swing out a tyre carrier as well.

Yes the gas struts definitely have to be upgraded.

The second photo showing the one using that adjustable tie down track looks possible to make. I think the track is held to the door with nutsurts and adhesive. It looks very neat.

This one is Canadian and is made by Gary Lee for the T4 tailgate. May be able to be modified for the T5. The swing-out versions he makes for the T3 are really well made.

Bruce CQ

Attachment 27862
    Do you need to drill into the tailgate to mount this or does it clamp to the edge of the doorskin?

Trying to copy these ideas from the T4/T5 to adapt to my Holden Adventra:
    Tailgate Tyre/Jerrycan carrier.-addy-png
    Last edited by Pricey88; 22-01-2020 at 11:55 PM.

[QUOTE=Pricey88;1309495]Do you need to drill into the tailgate to mount this or does it clamp to the edge of the doorskin?

Trying to copy these ideas from the T4/T5 to adapt to my Holden Adventra:
    That Gary Lee version hooks over the top of the door and is tightened by the clamps on the bottom. I ended not going with that version as it was way too heavy so I discarded it and went with a lighter version.

Tailgate Tyre/Jerrycan carrier.-dsc04536-jpg

The Airline Track/Versa Track attaches to the door with stainless steel bolts, nutserts and adhesive. Then the frames are bolted to the track. I only lightly load it, 10 litres of water, 10 of diesel when needed, Maxtrax and shovel. Worked well on the Cape York trip. I based it on this design. I

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
    20200126/28a8e35e70fd4adda6297804420e7d99.jpg[/IMG]

I’m ever mindful of having too much weight on it as the door hinges are fairly small.

Bruce CQ

I will have another go at sending the photo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12