Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: T6 Transporter/Multivan/Caravelle

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado T5 View Post
    I'd wait for the new Crafter if possible, 8 speed conventional auto, far better looking and some great features if the local bananas decide to offer them.
    That Crafter will be with the east/west engine configuration, unless you want to wait even longer for the RWD variant. The 4Mo will also be the east/west set up, so unless it's superb vehicle, I'll be driving my Sprinter 4x4 for a bit longer until something crops up, maybe the Rockton will come to Au again. But, I know for sure that I'll never buy 4motion T6 with the DSG with the 3 years warranty only.
    When there is an Iveco with the manual box, 205PS/470Nm 3.0L TDI, built on the proper chassis and can be had with RWD and factory diff lock, or full blown 4x4 with 3 diff locks and 2 reduction gearboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    As repairs become more & more expensive & cars/vans depreciate faster, there will be a pile of scrapped cars waiting to be crushed.
    Maybe, with electric vans just around the corner it's inevitable anyway.
    In the case of the T4, the youngest being around 13 years, there is increasing interest in conversion to manual trans.
    In the UK there are some available from the wreckers, but in the US they have to go back to a '93 to find a manual donor.
    I am prepared for the future. All my cars/van are manual that will probably last until they take my licence away.
    I agree the manuals are pretty bullet proof just a shame they mated it to that diabolical DMF thingy , my T5 work horse has now over 300000kays and its married to the pitiful 2.0 litre petrol engine { VW should have fitted a turbo like the new T6 in Europe has } but at least after 300000 kays it has only cost me one clutch kit around $600 . Unlike our previous family van where its Tiptronic failed after only 120000 kays at around $8500 for a non genuine rebuild { $12500 dealer price } DSG ? well the jury is out but I am still incredibly vigilant with our current one after it faltered twice at only two weeks old .

Users Country Flag
    Just about any Euro diesel will have a DMF these days.
    You'd be pretty lucky if you got a petrol T6 in Australia.
    I think they are special order.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicprObe View Post
    Just about any Euro diesel will have a DMF these days.
    You'd be pretty lucky if you got a petrol T6 in Australia.
    I think they are special order.
    I was initially thinking of ordering a petrol T6 but Volkswagen Australia told me they can't be ordered.

Yes it seems that VW Australia have once again misread the market expectations of Australian drivers , for years we were bombarded by the economy of the diesel engines so every man and his dog got on board offering diesels in almost every brand . Now it seems that some of the new generation petrol engines can be just as economical and less polluting than diesels T6 turbo petrol as a case in question . But again Australian buyers are not given the option . I noticed in a video that came out when the T6 was released in late 2015 a reviewer in Germany even stated some models of the diesel equipped T6 would be hard pressed to successfully carry the load expected . But if you want an Amarok yes you can get a V6 engine so why not the vans ? lets face it many van owners would probably want to carry or tow similar weights as the Amarok .

Users Country Flag
    Please show me how a longitudinal V6 fits into a T5/6 engine bay.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Similarly sized or maybe even a fraction smaller Vito is available with V6 3.0L engine longitudinaly fitted. So, why VW shouldn't be able to do it?
    It's not that hard, even if you have to make the van's front a little bit longer it would be worth it. Though the Vito's front is maybe even shorter.
    Sadly, it's much easier for manufacturer to fit engine from the Golf into the Transporter and even Sprinter.

Users Country Flag
    You might as well start from scratch.

There's no way in the world an Amarok/Touareg drivetrain would fit in a T5, and be suitable for mass-production. The vans were never designed with this in mind in the first place.

Well there were V6 engines in the T4 and I did not notice any modifications made to those , I suppose they could have made allowances for the V6 option in the T5 but they then had the 2.5 TDI so it was preferred engine . And I am sure you would know the V6 in the T4 was east west anyway .Out of interest before VW days I had a 4cylinder Toyota Hi Ace with a 1600cc engine , I got sick of lousy performance and shoehorned a 186 Holden 6 cylinder engine into the engine bay , if you know the model Hi ace the engine was under the front seat and I made it fit with some home made modifications . Raised the engine cover 25mm made my own new engine mounts and welded them to the subframe plus new gearbox mounts and exhaust plus modified radiators [yes two ] had to keep the sucker cool somehow . So at a factory level I am sure they could do the same for a V6 in a VW
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post

Users Country Flag

That's a VR6 fitted to the early T5 and T4.

It's about half the width of the CRTDI V6 in the Touareg and Amarok, because it only has one cylinder head. And even then, it was a very snug fit.

T6 Transporter/Multivan/Caravelle-hero_v6-jpg

It's not going to fit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast