Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: T6 Transporter/Multivan/Caravelle

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    That's a VR6 fitted to the early T5 and T4.

It's about half the width of the CRTDI V6 in the Touareg and Amarok, because it only has one cylinder head. And even then, it was a very snug fit.

Attachment 27646

It's not going to fit.
    Would fit longitudinally.
    ....and what's stopping VW to modify the body to fit the V6 or develop a new V6. A new Crafter will have engines fitted both ways.

Yes I suppose the development and cost will be so far out in the future that they will have us all by then driving remote controlled battery cars anyway .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Would fit longitudinally.
    ....and what's stopping VW to modify the body to fit the V6 or develop a new V6. A new Crafter will have engines fitted both ways.
    As I said, they may as well start from scratch with a clean-sheet design.

And lets be really frank the T6 is a dashboard upgrade with minor exterior tweak. IMHO, it doesn't deserve the T6 name considering what was upgraded/updated over a T5GP. One think I discovered though, the tailgated T6 has different tailights and profile to a rear wing doored model, the wing door has a carry over profile from the T5. I only noted this after I thought about buying a T6 with tailgate as there is pretty much no stock in the country of wing doored vans and then swapping them over with my van as I would keep my T5.

That Crafter will be with the east/west engine configuration, unless you want to wait even longer for the RWD variant. The 4Mo will also be the east/west set up, so unless it's superb vehicle, I'll be driving my Sprinter 4x4 for a bit longer until something crops up, maybe the Rockton will come to Au again. But, I know for sure that I'll never buy 4motion T6 with the DSG with the 3 years warranty only.
    When there is an Iveco with the manual box, 205PS/470Nm 3.0L TDI, built on the proper chassis and can be had with RWD and factory diff lock, or full blown 4x4 with 3 diff locks and 2 reduction gearboxes.
    It would make for high repayments but a 3 year/0% balloon would solve that risk or maybe a "factory" extended warranty and more common 5/yr terms .
    My only problem is that a mid-size van, Vito/T6 suits my needs best with a need to get into CBD carparks and can be used as a weekend 2nd car and parked inside my driveway.

Yes and I wonder which part of VW decided that the T6 should have drink holders in the top of the dash ? might be convenient but pretty stupid in our climate . The head unit is the same size as the T5 .2 so all they did was make the facia different .
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado T5 View Post
    And lets be really frank the T6 is a dashboard upgrade with minor exterior tweak. IMHO, it doesn't deserve the T6 name considering what was upgraded/updated over a T5GP. One think I discovered though, the tailgated T6 has different tailights and profile to a rear wing doored model, the wing door has a carry over profile from the T5. I only noted this after I thought about buying a T6 with tailgate as there is pretty much no stock in the country of wing doored vans and then swapping them over with my van as I would keep my T5.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Yes and I wonder which part of VW decided that the T6 should have drink holders in the top of the dash ? might be convenient but pretty stupid in our climate . The head unit is the same size as the T5 .2 so all they did was make the facia different .
    Same goes for my Honda, that has its cup holders in front of the air con outlet.

I have to smash that hot coffee before the aircon turns it into a iced coffee.

The T6 cup holders are quite a distance away from the seat as well, it'll keep my coffee warm, but ill be stretching to reach it.

Similarly sized or maybe even a fraction smaller Vito is available with V6 3.0L engine longitudinaly fitted. So, why VW shouldn't be able to do it?
    It's not that hard, even if you have to make the van's front a little bit longer it would be worth it. Though the Vito's front is maybe even shorter.
    Sadly, it's much easier for manufacturer to fit engine from the Golf into the Transporter and even Sprinter.
    And you should see how well those Vito 122cdi v6's are holding their value...I thought long and hard about buying a Vito 122cdi Crewvan (only comes in mid-wheel base) which was $52K, 40,000Km until the Christmas rush showed me that I really still need the long wheel base length of a Vito/T6. And then there's the fact almost $62K (list price) drive away gets you can get a brand new heavily optioned T6 with 2nd a/c, dual sliding doors, 4motion/dsg/lwb, glass all round but no factory 2nd row of seats, rather an aftermarket set with no split fold.

While ranting you can buy a Caravelle LWB with all the interior trim lining, full glass, twin sliding elec.doors, 9 seats, rear passenger airbags for LESS than a Transporter...but there's no wing door option or tdi400 though....wtf.
    Last edited by Tornado T5; 15-01-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado T5 View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

Users Country Flag

I was at a dealer today doing some preliminary investigation. I have a 2012 crewvan and i want to get a new one. Turns out the caravelle is cheaper even with 9 seats and all the fluffy comforts.
    The 2012 crewvan was perfect for me, as it had air con in the rear. The new 2017 crewvan has it as an $2000 optional extra. Standard of course on the caravelle.

the issue of manual vs auto is also solved by VW offering auto or auto. do i look elsewhere like Vito or Iload?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast