Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: T5 transporter aftermarket radio options

Had this little beauty fitted last week. Does everything apart from make the tea.
    Perfect fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T5 transporter aftermarket radio options-img_4058-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    Just realised I forgot to post up that list of parts I used - in case it's of any use.
    I'm not unhappy with my higher spec unit - but I don't get the best out of it - Kenwood DDX9017DABS
    It's been over 6 months and so far I haven't put any time into properly learning it.
    Despite being supposedly technically minded - I have found Android Auto to be a nuisance - from having to plug the cable in - which also means lots of part charges of the battery which will break that down early - to my auto elec insisting on connecting it to the handbrake which now means it tells me when it wants to operate - to most of my music not having correct tags so most of the available music players don't correctly index it and I can't find what I want while driving - I find I just keep using Bluetooth for connecting including music.
    Also the screen is much harder to see than the phone screen in sunlight - so it's easier to just keep using the phone for Google Maps navigation.

Parts list for a 2010 T5;
    Kenwood DDX-9017DABS Car Multimedia + CMOS-130 Reverse Cam &Kenwood DRV-N520 Dash Camera
    Kenwood Universal Patch Harness CHVW3C $99.00
    Aerpro Kenwood / JVC to ISO AV Wiring Harness - APP8KE4 $13.85 1 $13.85
    STINGER ST27AA25 2xFakra Amplified Antenna Adaptor - ANTENNA $30.00 1 0 $30.00
    ADAPTER
    STINGER_MT999011_05-Up Volkswagen Dash Kit (DD & SD) $60.00 1 0 $60.00
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

I would disconnect the handbrake first as it detects some video use and will shut off vision , on my Chinese ones you simply tick a box in the settings menu or swipe the screen sideways and you can still hear the music or video but not see the images . The screen is only hard to see when in full direct overhead sunlight but not enough that you cant see the GPS mapping etc again there is a screen brightness you can adjust on ours .The one we have is a direct factory size fitment so you get a full 7 or 8 in screen depending on what model you order no border around the sides etc . Its plug and play no coding or adaptors for wiring is needed either plugs into the original VW harness so steering wheel controls work as well . Each to their own I suppose I have used the Android mirror but its too much of a pain so I use Bluetooth to play internet radio from the phone and also answer make calls from the head unit as well , surfing the internet is easy from the headunit as long as your near a wifi hotspot . Does the amp for the antennae work {not that I listen to FM AM radio } I do listen to Digital radio from the head unit it works quite well around the city but obviously not once you are more than 40km from the city .

Users Country Flag
    I thought I answered yesterday but must have forgotten to press the post button

No box in kenwoods settings to turn off I can see - I know some one who installed the same head unit in a pajero - without the handbrake - I might get them to assist me.

My expensive unit is supposed to have a great screen - but for large amounts of the day it is useless - but I haven't tried adjusting anything yet.

Android Auto - which is the equivalent of Apple Carplay - both require you to plug in the usb cable - I don't think you would get that with the Chinese unit anyway as they are proprietary - but as I said - who can be stuffed plugging in the cable and stuffing your phone battery eventually anyway.

Wireless mirroring is apparently quite good in this kenwood unit - however I found with music - and that's mostly what I use - it experiences stutter and lag - which I don't get when using bluetooth - so we are in full agreement there.

The AM and FM radios are excellent - so that adapter must be doing it's thing - digital radio reception is not as good where I am in the foothills of the Dandenongs.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

Users Country Flag
    Just bought a Transport T5 My15 TDI400 4 Motion LWB with RCD 210 and bluetooth and multi function steering wheel. Interested in replacing the head unit with an Android based unit with reverse camera. Been checking out Xtrons, Erisin and also Joying, none of them seemed to be compatible with the MY15 model, mostly up to 2011 model only. The main loom and connectors all seemed the same to me. At the back of the RCD210, there is also a small green plug that plugged into, I think, the telephone mute port.

My questions are
    . will one of those units work with the MY15 T5?
    . will the oem bluetooth interfere with the bluetooth in the unit?
    . will steering control still work as normal?

Thanks.
    Last edited by vwT5; 01-07-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Can I suggest that because those Chinese suppliers were catering for the early model T5 2012 to 2016 and have not updated their compatibility to the T6 . If I remember correctly from looking at a T6 the opening in the dash is still the same as the T5 so they will still fit and if so I would imagine the plug will be the same . Not sure about the Bluetooth already in the car but your phone would only sync with one at a time anyway , at home if I am working in the driveway I use a Bose Bluetooth speaker with my phone . If I turn the van on to move it the head unit will take the bluetooth away from the bose . Steering wheel functions should also work as the units come with the low output impedance wires for that standard . Our vans did not have steering wheel controls which I overcame with an aftermarket one same as this Car SUV Wireless Steering Wheel Button Remote Control Universal for DVD GPS Kits | eBay Does the green plug have two sort of socket connections as I suspect it is the diversity radio antennae connector as VW use each side mirror for GPS and Radio .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 01-07-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Sunny43.5. I made a typo in the post, the car is MY15 T5. Here is the image of the green plug
    Attachment 34246

Here is the wiring diagram on the rcd
    Attachment 34247

I think the green plug is bluetooth related. If I don't disable the onboard bluetooth, the steering wheel may not be able to control the bluetooth in the Android head unit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T5 transporter aftermarket radio options-img_20180630_165450-jpg   T5 transporter aftermarket radio options-img_20180630_165440-jpg  

Last edited by vwT5; 01-07-2018 at 01:55 PM.

After looking at those photos I think you must have a newer version as the Tel Mute button must be specific to that model RCD210 , now the plugs on the back of the RCD unit are they the only ones or is there another plug just abit further back in the harness . With the Chinese ones normally you just unplug the original and it connects to the new headunit plug directly . I,ll do some more checking for you .

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Howard. I didn't check the other end of that cable. I'll pull it out again this weekend to check. Thanks for checking.

BTW, love your work on those vans. I'll be going down similar path with mine. Might need your advice then. Thanks again.

Hi all,

Referring to this old thread and apologies in advance if I should have started a new thread.

I am seeking views on latest options for T5 preface 2009 lift models with Double Din shape. ( not slightly rounded off or wider at top than bottom etc on later T5.1/T6 models. Could be latest Chinese versions that Howard has advocated, VW oem or aftermarket known brands such as Pioneer etc.

factoring in reverse camera and Sat nav.

My understanding is latest VW Discover Media infotainment does not fit or is not compatible pre face list T5, correct? So what are the latest viable VW oem units that can retrofitted to the earlier T5s if at all?

It would be good to have an up to date list of options for in dash for full functionality ( or above dash options for camera/sat nav).

Regards,

Scott

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast