Support VWWC

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: T5 transporter aftermarket radio options

Users Country Flag

While I understand "the cheap and cheerful", I don't see the reason now, when you can get the Pioneer model with the apple car play, which most likely will outlast several Chinese knock offs. It integrates wth the car well and the Google navigation or any navigation on your phone can be used on the units.

The only draw back of using smart phones for GPS is the data usage it can kill you if used all day like a courier driver might do . And then if you are outside mobile coverage then it wont work at all . There was an article on the media a few years back of a tow truck driver who used his phone exclusively for GPS and ended up with a $2000 bill . I have researched the Pioneer and several other major brands and several main things are evident in their shortcomings you have to buy the Bluetooth module as an extra not sure if you can connect reverse camera or add extra screens for rear seat passengers . Then the screens are much smaller 6.1 inch I do prefer the 8 inch Android one we have currently and then cost over 2 k for the Pioneer plus $100 for Bluetooth module and from other VW enthusiasts the Pioneer does not integrate with MFD at least the Chinese ones do Personal choice for me . I look at it this way $450 with all the latest functions versus $2000 plus after 4 years I could still replace with the latest model and updated maps from China every year and still be in front .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    The only draw back of using smart phones for GPS is the data usage it can kill you if used all day like a courier driver might do.
    Not any more. You can use offline navigation mode, which works very well, using your smartphone's or tablet's sensors.

The latest Pioneer with apple play is just under $1000 dollars.
    Last edited by Transporter; 19-07-2015 at 11:50 PM.

Which model I did a search and on another VW forum they claimed 2 K but I will acknowledge that info is wrong this one is much cheaper and in my opinion looks like a cheap one to Pioneer AVIC-F9310BT - Multi-sensor GPS, Entertainment & Communication System exclusively for Volkswagen With Plug n Play Module + Antenna Adaptor - Frankies Auto Electrics, I would state here this Chinese ones look ten times better than the Pioneer does . Erisin ES9405A 8 HD Android 4.4.2 Car DVD GPS VW PASSAT GOLF TOURAN CADDY JETTA SEAT [ES9405A] - US$353.00 : erisin.com

The hardware these days is probably pretty standard. VW stuff is simply overpriced. what you are paying for however is well tested and solid software in the unit.

I bought the 8" 2015 quad core unit and whilst i was sceptical I'm pretty impressed. Screen mirroring works really well with an android phone. I've got spotify installed with music locally, the navi works well and you can install any nav you want (android)

plug in was simple, its a direct plug n play. I get more functionality than i did with my rcd510. whilst the stock 510 unit is solid I'm happy with the swap. I've not seen any chinese characters yet on it.. bluetooth seems to work well (not that i can tell what i sound like to other end) reversing camera was easy as it came with a video cable with power lead in it and the head unit can power the cam.

I'll get some pics but it looks pretty stock.. tells me the weather too. only downside is the boot time of 20s but the reverse camera works within a few seconds of car turn on.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    While I understand "the cheap and cheerful", I don't see the reason now, when you can get the Pioneer model with the apple car play, which most likely will outlast several Chinese knock offs. It integrates wth the car well and the Google navigation or any navigation on your phone can be used on the units.
    132kw LWB Van. Not a tradie..

Users Country Flag
    Keen to see pics, sounds like a nice budget option.

here are some pics from the unit. i forgot the phone app. the bluetooth calling sounds way better than my VW one ever did and no-one has complained that they have problems hearing me which was a constant complaint with the old one.

So, i was actually really impressed with how easy it was to install, plug and play. the canbus does heaps, the screen with car info is all canbus but you can also hook up odbc via bluetooth if you want. canbus triggers reversing, you get your vw sensors (i don't have) on the reversing cam, it tells you doors are open etc and apparently talks to your MFD if you have one (i don't). steering wheel controls are easily programable via a config page. (you can set them to whatever you want)

sounds pretty good, has vid in/out for 2 other displays, pre-amp outs, reverse camera can be powered direct from headunit if you buy his one the cable has the power lead in it and there is a 12v that comes on when in reverse. (cable just long enough for a LWB) and the camera fits by replacing one of the rear plate lamp covers. (i ordered the multivan one)

This unit appears on ali****shop a lot but the SW is different. looking at the guys videos it seems he is doing a lot of the dev himself and he has a lot of good test equipment in the background. its also android 4.4.4 and he's working on android 5. he Ali ones are android 4.4.2 or lower.

the wifi works, tomtom on it is awesome, google maps can display offline limited maps but you have no search. you can plug in a usb 3g dongle if you want, I just wifi to my phone. it's all very well integrated and you can have FM (or any audio) behind any app. (you have to turn the radio off to use spotify etc)

has 2 usb cables, I've not hooked up the aux in yet as i need a cable. 2 mem card slots (one for gps)

all in all I paid $500 with the cam and postage. pretty happy with it. It still looks pretty stock... buttons are a little hit n miss sometimes but the touch screen is very good adn the resolution is very good too

T5 transporter aftermarket radio options-dsc_0395-jpgT5 transporter aftermarket radio options-dsc_0394-jpgT5 transporter aftermarket radio options-dsc_0393-jpgT5 transporter aftermarket radio options-dsc_0392-jpgT5 transporter aftermarket radio options-dsc_0390-jpgT5 transporter aftermarket radio options-dsc_0396-jpgT5 transporter aftermarket radio options-dsc_0397-jpgT5 transporter aftermarket radio options-dsc_0398-jpgT5 transporter aftermarket radio options-dsc_0399-jpg
    132kw LWB Van. Not a tradie..

Thank you for a great write up we also have the Android system from China in ours since early January and seems it has all the same functions that your does and yes all the functions work without interference from VW wanting their donation of blood to make all those functions work . Ours also has the guide lines in the reversing camera which turns as you turn . Does your home screen show a few functions and then in the top RH corner there is a symbol which when touched brings up three screen pages of apps ? Interesting to see they are working on the next Android system ours is the 4.4.02. I would caution you about those back ground shots in their video I have also seen similar plus a lot of the sites show "factory workers "at test equipment and a nice shiny reception , problem with that is several companies use the same photos it seems . From what I have learnt over the last 8 years dealing with some of these Chinese companies is that some are only little shops onselling the units which are made by only a few major companies but then sold through dozens of smaller traders on a variety of Chinese websites . Some one posted few years back that as he was travelling to one city there , he was going to pick up his unit direct from the "showroom " the owner panicked and told him it was not possible because as I suspect he only was an online trader with no actual "factory" as seen on his site . But hey they work so no big deal .

Users Country Flag
    Sunny- so you import these?

Yes have done for many friends and other VW owners as well .

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast