Thread: T5 Towing Mirrors

Users Country Flag

T5 Towing Mirrors

Hi all, has anyone addressed the issue of towing mirrors for multivan please?
    I have decided to hook a van on behind but am reluctant to fit mirrors that might damage the vehicle or be useless anyhow. Not keen to strap anything on the existing mirrors. The magnetic ones don't look too bad but wondering if the window gets scratched going up and down with the bit that hooks over the door.
    Comment appreciated.
    regards
    PeterD

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pjondeck View Post
    Hi all, has anyone addressed the issue of towing mirrors for multivan please?
    I have decided to hook a van on behind but am reluctant to fit mirrors that might damage the vehicle or be useless anyhow. Not keen to strap anything on the existing mirrors. The magnetic ones don't look too bad but wondering if the window gets scratched going up and down with the bit that hooks over the door.
    Comment appreciated.
    regards
    PeterD
    We tow a car trailer, closed-in box bodied, which is 1.9m wide behind our T5 LWB ... . Don't see the need for anything extra and never been pulled over by the ; I'm sure they've got more important issues to deal with. Visibility is fine both sides IMO...
    2011 T5 132kw 7spdDSG 4motion, '89 Citroen 2CV, 2006 Subaru Forester SG 5spd

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by greymad View Post
    We tow a car trailer, closed-in box bodied, which is 1.9m wide behind our T5 LWB ... . Don't see the need for anything extra and never been pulled over by the ; I'm sure they've got more important issues to deal with. Visibility is fine both sides IMO...
    As long as what you are towing is not wider than the towing vehicle you wont need towing mirrors.

If it is wider you will as the law says you must be able to see clearly down both sides of the rig.

Basically if you measure the distance between the inside edge of your mirrors and if that is less than the width of the trailer you should have them

Have seen this argument endlessly on Caravan forums and despite those who say they dont need them, you do especially when towing a van which is 2.4 m wide.
    Have been stuck behind idiots without towing mirrors who have absolutely no idea whats behind them due to the fact the van is wider and they cant see past it unless the following car moves about half a lane outside them.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the responses. The width of the van is the same as the distance between the outer edges of the vehicle mirrors so yes, I do need mirrors. I'm not so much concerned about the law as the scenario Hillbilly mentions. I like to know what's behind me. I will have a camera on the back of the van but would still prefer the mirrors. Will keep looking. cheers P

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pjondeck View Post
    Thanks for the responses. The width of the van is the same as the distance between the outer edges of the vehicle mirrors so yes, I do need mirrors. I'm not so much concerned about the law as the scenario Hillbilly mentions. I like to know what's behind me. I will have a camera on the back of the van but would still prefer the mirrors. Will keep looking. cheers P
    \

A pair of Aussie Truck Mirrors are the ideal thing About $69 each at Repco. They dont rub on the glass as they have plastic on the pieces that slide into the window area

I had a camera on the back of the Caravan as well as the Cruiser and could switch between them The camera on the Caravan was no good for seeing cars that were up beside the van and ahead of the rear of it. Hence the need for the mirrors.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

For future reference if anyone searches this forum I've bought a pair of these and they are great for towing our caravan:

Milenco Grand Aero 3 Towing Mirror - Milenco, Europe's leading manufacturer of award winning caravan products

Quick and easy to fit, good visibility and very little vibration.

Shop around but we got the best price for ours on eBay.