Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: T5...and then it went bang...looks like another costly careless mistake

Users Country Flag

A lot of VW experts don't do too much work on Transporters, I've found.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Fair point.
    But in this case every time I've been there, there are always 3 or 4 different transporters in the queue out the front...which is worrying in itself
    And he reckons his old man has one too.
    I suppose you can't know every detail about every vehicle.
    His reviews on here are as good as I'm gonna find I reckon
    Kudos to Volkscare VIC- GTI 105k service
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

ok - had my front passenger side drive shaft and stub axle replaced (for 2nd time in 18 months) - and the knocking noise I had is gone.
    I had thought it must be the steering knock issue - but the vw mechanics diagnosis was correct.
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

Users Country Flag
    That's good news.
    Did he happen to say why it failed so soon?
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

He's always so rushed I didn't get a chance to chat when I picked it up - 2 people waiting behind me - he's always so busy
    Anyway, I'm going to book in and pay for some of his time to discuss a range of things about my van so I will ask again then.
    When he first pulled it apart (before realising the wrong parts had been delivered) he said he suspected non genuine parts had been used - but he also said he wasn't certain of that - I didn't ask about if grease had been used previously - I also didn't ask again about his earlier comment that the new splines would be modified but it was for the passengers side?
    Almost a couple of years back when my drivers side broke - I got the passengers side done at the same time - believing the part would be modified - but it wasn't - when I didn't need it done - and now I've had to get it done again - oh well.

Also wanted to add that the steering feels tighter now...although that could just be my imagination.
    It is a relief to be rid of that bloody knocking noise when turning the wheel at low speeds though.
    Last edited by aSimpleLife; 14-04-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Users Country Flag
    It looks like I have a similar issue at the moment. But until the mechanic pulls the car apart i'm not sure if it is the stub shaft splines or the rear engine mount that is failing???

Anyone else had similar issues??
    I'm told the rear engine mount should be good for over 200K but mine is only at 140K.

The knocking noice when turning at low speeds is the bearings in the top of the shock tower. mine have been making horrible noises now for 80Kkms. They aren't a massive problem. Maybe i'll replace them if i go the king spring lift at some point.

Hmm so yeah gotta fix then, the cruise control switch and put a new condenser in the AC now. I reckon i'll be up for over $3K to get it all done Hopefully i get a job soon!!!!

Good luck in your search for work - I wouldn't be able to afford to run one of these if it wasn't a business expense - had wanted to keep it in to my retirement but that will only work till the first significant repair bill - my plan for this is to wait until the first big failure and then wreck it for parts - seems to be the best way to get a return on the residual.

I don't know much - but just from my own experience - in reference to your comments.

My problems began with a slackness in the drive train - around 80k - and some knocking when turning - my then mechanic diagnosed it as the rear engine mount - replaced it but made no difference - eventually the drivers side stub axle failed - so I got everything replaced on both sides thinking they were modified - only after I was told passengers side did not need to be done.
    By 110k I had a knocking noise back when turning at low speeds - thought it must have been the steering knock - but my new mechanic told me the problem was in the passengers side stub axle - which has been replaced unnecessarily - so I had that and the shaft replaced again - problem was gone.
    I also have always has a groaning type noise in the front end at low speeds when turning - but I am not even going to bother chasing that one up - and it sounds much less severe than the knocking noises.

Users Country Flag
    That groaning is just the power steering doing it's stuff.
    They all do it if you listen hard enough............some more than others.
    The Mrs's Volvo is a lot worse.........electric assisted hydraulic.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Thanks for that. I don't have any other vehicles I can compare it with. But I think it has been there since the beginning or close to it. And it doesn't seem to have got worse. But I do a fair bit of low speed maneuvering - which is probably why I seem to notice it.

"...don't over think it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
    Guessing future repair bills is simply an opportunity to get a consulting psychiatrist rather than giving you any comfort...
    ...Don't let your imagination run away with reality!...
    ...Again...don't over think it.
    Hey Seano. Sorry to hear about your T4 but glad you got a resolution. Now that wasn't a little over thinking I detected in your first post was it
    Anyway, while it's definitely off topic, although I suppose it is my topic, I just wanted to acknowledge that I now better understand now how accurate your comments were.
    I have long known I was an over thinker...but I had always thought that was a strength.
    However about a year back I got begrudgingly exposed to a bloke called Eckhardt Tolle. Had to do it to keep in good with my main customer. After listening to a bit of him it was like a revelation. I am a chronic over thinker. And it is a weakness. Probably my greatest. Well what do you know. Just like Seano told me those few years back
    So I thought at least an acknowledgement was required.
    Anyway, knowing it, and being able to change it, are two completely different things. However I can't tell you how much happier it makes me just knowing. Bit like when I finally realised it's not the photo's that make you look older but the mirror (courtesy of your mind) which lies to you.

And as far as the T5 goes. Well I have decided recently (finally) to keep it till the end. And wear the running/repair costs until I eventually wreck it.
    These drive shafts have been the only major problem I have really had in almost 8 years and over 150,000km. And that was probably brought on by how I was parking it and then using a local mechanic who made further mistakes. And having had it from new it is the devil I know (I would never buy a VW...or any other euro vehicle...2nd hand...the risks of a big repair from poor maintenance are just too high for me). And it's got everything done to it that I need.
    I was poised to sell it though. Sooo close. As a mint condition vehicle before I have an expensive problem. But had a debacle with the roof repair for the latest lot of hail damage and despite 4 trips to 2 repairers just haven't been able to get it right. Which meant the roof looked repainted and I would take a big hit on the resale. So I took it as a sign from above that I was meant to keep the van. It was telling me not to leave it. That is was there for me when I needed it and how dare I now leave it for another...or at least that's how it felt
    I'd even already bought and rebuilt the AU Falcon wagon to replace it. So now that has to go. It was going to be hard to fit everything into it anyway. I must say the Au is a very nice car to drive. Easier to work on I find. And paying only 10-20% of the VW price for spares is so refreshing. I even got 2 spare engines and transmissions for a couple of hundred bucks all up. Could tow 2.3 tonne. But the fuel economy is not as good. Rust is always an issue. They probably have more problems? And it doesn't feel as well engineered/finished as the T5...although that could be the 10 year age difference.
    Last edited by aSimpleLife; 17-11-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast