Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: T5 engine oil

T5 engine oil

Hi all decided today to check oil level in 2004 T5 2.5 diesel found it needed some , easier said than done after checking on this forum for alternative oils I went on a fruitless search for what was needed . After visiting 5 different auto stores . Gave up in disgust , jeez you would have thought I owned some obscure car from russia or the like . Not one bloody store has the oil that was suggested , the only suggestions I got was try VW surely there must be suppliers of alternative oils with the correct specs . I found heaps of oils with the correct rating 5W-40 but none of them matched the 506.01 specs VW recommend . What do you guys find as an alternative and where do you find this elusive lubricant , [and what do the numbers 506.01 mean ?] as I found some oils with 502 505 etc but none with the one I needed .Howard

Users Country Flag
    NO ALTERNATIVE OIL! Try Liqui Moly, they for sure have one and it is the cheapest option, I can guarantee you that. Have a look in this thread http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...are-32995.html and don't try any alternatives you could regret that. The oil has to be approved for VW506.01 by VW, if the label doesn't say that, don't use it.

edit: http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/Liqu...us/default.asp
    Last edited by Transporter; 17-07-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Users Country Flag
    What about Penrite HPR Diesel 5?

Quote Originally Posted by www.penriteoil.com.au
    HPR DIESEL 5

Semi-synthetic high performance engine oil for use in the modern generation of high performance diesel engines including turbocharged. Ideal where this viscosity or SAE 5W-30 or 10W-30 is recommended. Primary recommendation for Land Rover Td5, Range Rover/BMW Td6, Ford, Mazda, Mercedes and Holden Jackaroo 3.0L diesel engines and in diesel engines fitted with hydraulically controlled fuel injectors. Vehicles fitted with DPFs may need to use Enviro+, Diesel LA or Diesel SP as appropriate. SAE 5W-40, API CI-4/SL, ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5, VW 506.00/506.01, Global DLD-2/3
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Users Country Flag
    Yeh, as an emergency top up or flushing oil but not if there was approved 506.01 oil available. There is at least 1 more oil in Penrite range that is marked as meets 506.01 (from top of my had it is Enviro+ 0W40) but I wouldn't risk it for the sake of $30-$40.

Don't get me wrong the HPRDiesel5 is one tough oil and if there was no oil available I would use it.

Users Country Flag
    Just mentioning it as most auto joints would stock it.

How much is 5lt of LM?
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Thanks guys for the info so far I was in an Autobarn today but the guy didn,t seem to have the Liqui Moly in the correct spec , with the details Transporter has given I will try some other Auto Barn shops . Thanks again will let you know where I get it from Howard

Users Country Flag
    Just email LM they may have a distributor near to you or you can get the oil from them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikinoz View Post
    Just mentioning it as most auto joints would stock it.

How much is 5lt of LM?
    I believe it is $100

Since the introduction of "504.00/507.00" which consolidates all previous VW oil specs, "503.00/506.00/506.01" lubricants have become even more rare in Australia (as if it wasn't obscure enough beforehand) because it's now only required for certain R5 and V10 engines.

Here are some approved oils that may still be available in Oz:

Castrol SLX Professional Longtec Longlife II 0W-30 [Contact]
    Elf Evolution CRV 0W-30 [Contact]
    Fuchs Titan Supersyn Longlife Plus 0W-30 [Contact]
    Liqui Moly Synthoil Longtime Plus 0W-30 [Contact]
    Motul Specific 506 01 506 00 503 00 0W-30 [Contact]

You probably won't find them on retail shelves here, instead they'll more likely come in bulk containers (e.g. 20L or higher) and have to be purchased from a distributor - but because these oils are so hard to come by (not to mention the large sump capacity), buying in bulk may not be such a bad idea anyway. Contact the manufacturer for a list of distributors in your state.

In regards to Penrite, AFAIK they never received VW approval for "503.00/506.00/506.01", and unlike all other approved "503.00/506.00/506.01" oils the viscosity is incorrect - should be 0W-30.

Good hunting.

Thats good info Diesel Vert one last silly question HOW IN THE HELL do I know if ours has the DPF or not its the only thing that has me confused ???? Howard

Vehicles with a diesel particulate filter can be identified by their PR No. (Primärausstattung) "7GG" cited on the vehicle's data sticker.

In any case, Transporter models with engine codes AXD, AXE or BLJ must use 506.01 oils.
    Last edited by Diesel_vert; 03-08-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast