Thread: T5 connecting Scangauge 2 problem

Users Country Flag

T5 connecting Scangauge 2 problem

Hi,

I have a Scangauge from a previous vehicle that I am trying to hook up to my T5 Caravelle, which plugs into the OBD port. I am not getting any power to the Scangauge, so I checked the fuses according to the FAQ for T5.2 but can't find anything wrong. Any suggestions as to where to look next? I know the Scangauge was working 2 days ago, so I don't think that is the problem.
    Thanks!
    Current Ride : 2013 Caravelle
    Previous Ride : 2001 Caravelle

Conspiracy theory time , it would not surprise me that VW have changed the diagnostic ports to stop home mechanics from using them . I will stand corrected but these days nothing surprises me with the levels car makers go to stop tinkering by owners . I remember when the T5.1 came out no fuse cards only a mention in the owners book that told you that due to ongoing developement of your vehicle they could not tell you which fuses were located in the fuse box . Strange thing was that they could print the owners book with that little ditty and obviously tell the dealers about locations but could not show fuse locations to the owner , as we all know car makers plan new models years before release and the line that ongoing developement is a crock .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Retch View Post
    Hi,

I have a Scangauge from a previous vehicle that I am trying to hook up to my T5 Caravelle, which plugs into the OBD port. I am not getting any power to the Scangauge, so I checked the fuses according to the FAQ for T5.2 but can't find anything wrong. Any suggestions as to where to look next? I know the Scangauge was working 2 days ago, so I don't think that is the problem.
    Thanks!
    If you have the VCDS or any other scanner that works on the VW, try connecting it. If not get in touch with someone who does.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I have ordered a Ross tech cable, so will wait and see what happens when that arrives. Thanks!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Conspiracy theory time , it would not surprise me that VW have changed the diagnostic ports to stop home mechanics from using them . I will stand corrected but these days nothing surprises me with the levels car makers go to stop tinkering by owners . I remember when the T5.1 came out no fuse cards only a mention in the owners book that told you that due to ongoing developement of your vehicle they could not tell you which fuses were located in the fuse box . Strange thing was that they could print the owners book with that little ditty and obviously tell the dealers about locations but could not show fuse locations to the owner , as we all know car makers plan new models years before release and the line that ongoing developement is a crock .
    Sunny, it seems that you are onto something.
    I received my Ross tech cable today, and it works perfectly. So, there must be something in the dongle that is overcoming the VW protection. I don't think I will bother trying to get the Scangauge working now, the VCDS will do a better job. This might be useful info for someone else in future.