Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install

Users Country Flag

Those mirrors are cool and all, but if they aren't saving that much space is it worth the effort?

How are you finding them?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Nah I would say it's not worth the effort TBH .. the upwards folding is a bit ridiculous and the rain then pours onto the mirrors causing water stains. The only cool feature is you can tell instantly from far away if you forgot to lock the car

Nevertheless I really really wanted the mirror LED puddle lights, mirror-mounted indicator turn signals, and warning lights in the doors at the same time: Since I had all the doors/mirrors and dash in pieces for those it's not much extra effort to wire the folding mirrors.

But if my mirror hadn't been smashed off I never would have gotten elec. folding mirrors either.
    - 2011 Multivan T5.2 - 2,0L 135kW BiTDI. Mod info here
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED

Users Country Flag
    Hello Guys,
    my van is a t5.2 2011 multivan shuttle.
    i have power folding mirrors fitted from factory with door switch.
    i have bought the chinese fold on lock kit.

My question is can i fit this kit from just the drivers door side?
    If the answer is yes which wires and colours coming from the drivers door do i need to splice into?
    I would like to fit the kit under the dash close to the BCM.

Any help will be gratefully received
    regards
    Patrick
    Im a pom in Liverpool England

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    This is a tricky one. In your 2011 Multivan the mirrors on each side are folded and unfolded by a LIN-bus command via the electric window motors, so there is no direct electrical connection to the mirror motors going to the inside of the car. The command travels via the CAN bus into the door.

The neatest option I can think of the top off my head, is to take off just the drivers side door panel, and then capture the existing OEM switch input cable that sets the mirrors to fold, as well as the door lock/unlock signal. But you'd have to somehow set the Chinese module to "hold" the switch input the whole time you wanted the mirrors folded/unfolded - because that's how the OEM original solution works.

If you want to do it without complex electrical trickery, then you'd have to take off both door cards, cut the mirror motor wires before they enter the window motor, and then just interface the Chinese module to those wires (completely disabling the current OEM system with it's LIN bus and CAN bus stuff) ... but this involves pushing the wires through the door-to-car loom tube which is a major pain.

Ultimately I think your whole issue of just wanting the auto-fold-on-lock is a different animal to the one in this thread, and the Chinese module is not likely the solution:

The neatest solution would be a simple chip plugged onto the CAN bus wires (high and low), which listens for the "door lock" CAN command, and sends the "mirror fold" CAN/LIN command, and vice versa. Is there such a solution?

It's stupid that VW don't just have this as an option in the menu... it would be three simple lines of code in the BCM CPU
    - 2011 Multivan T5.2 - 2,0L 135kW BiTDI. Mod info here
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for your reply, I didn't think my van would be any different than yours, with you going through the BCM, but now i realise that was just to pick up the lock-un-lock wires...when i saw you had the same switch on the door card and had changed the window motors, it made your van work the same as mine....boo hoo!...glad i only spent £7 on the Chinese kit the same kit you used on your van.
    so the only option would be to cut wires at each door, when i saw the wiring diagram it showed the switch using the signal wires to the chinese modual...well thanks again for getting back to me!

regards
    Patrick

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowLemon View Post
    This is a tricky one. In your 2011 Multivan the mirrors on each side are folded and unfolded by a LIN-bus command via the electric window motors, so there is no direct electrical connection to the mirror motors going to the inside of the car. The command travels via the CAN bus into the door.

The neatest option I can think of the top off my head, is to take off just the drivers side door panel, and then capture the existing OEM switch input cable that sets the mirrors to fold, as well as the door lock/unlock signal. But you'd have to somehow set the Chinese module to "hold" the switch input the whole time you wanted the mirrors folded/unfolded - because that's how the OEM original solution works.

If you want to do it without complex electrical trickery, then you'd have to take off both door cards, cut the mirror motor wires before they enter the window motor, and then just interface the Chinese module to those wires (completely disabling the current OEM system with it's LIN bus and CAN bus stuff) ... but this involves pushing the wires through the door-to-car loom tube which is a major pain.

Ultimately I think your whole issue of just wanting the auto-fold-on-lock is a different animal to the one in this thread, and the Chinese module is not likely the solution:

The neatest solution would be a simple chip plugged onto the CAN bus wires (high and low), which listens for the "door lock" CAN command, and sends the "mirror fold" CAN/LIN command, and vice versa. Is there such a solution?

It's stupid that VW don't just have this as an option in the menu... it would be three simple lines of code in the BCM CPU
    Hi Robert, its so very frustrating, having everything i need already in the van just the wrong modules....mine are as follows:
    Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels:. 7H0-937-08x-09.clb
    Part No SW: 7H0 937 087 F HW: 7H0 937 087
    Component: BCM T5GP H+4 H47 0230
    Revision: BO047001 Serial number: 0396 071110566
    Coding: A8B079BA0E61241393204ED07CEA9ED4F08041FF60A4000030 0000000000
    Shop #: WSC 02754 790 12345
    VCID: 37282170EF4414CFABB-8062

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1K0 955 559 AH Labels: 1K0-955-559-AG.CLB
    Component: RLS 100311 05 54 0403
    Coding: 03302E

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 7E0 959 801 C HW: 7E0 959 801 C Labels: 7E0-959-80X-V1.CLB
    Component: J386__TSG_FT 003 3311
    Serial number: --------------------
    Coding: 050000

Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 7E0 959 802 C HW: 7E0 959 802 C Labels: 7E0-959-80X-V1.CLB
    Component: J387__TSG_BT 003 3311
    Serial number: --------------------
    Coding: 040000

I believe this module can't be coded through VCDS, as you said above, you would think someone clever would have made an a timed adapter that plugs in to the wiring from the door switch and the lock/unlock wires in the drivers door....maybe one day.

I don't fancy butchering the original wiring to the motors to fit the Chinese module, i thought i might be able to tap into the wires from the BCM and use the Chinese module just to link the door lock/unlock to the BCM to trigger the door motors.

thanks for your great info Mate

patrick

Could I just throw an idea in here ? if from what I am reading these mirrors only need a pulse to trigger them to fold / unfold is that correct ? Now from having mucked around with various elctronic things maybe if there is a positive signal that locks the doors and vice versa why not just run a single power wire from the fuse box fit two 12V relays that are triggered by the lock signal as they dont require a full 12 v signal to activate the relay . We used a similar setup for our trailer lights . Whe tapped into the factory tail lights and used the signal from indicators brake tail lights to trigger a relay for each of the trailer lights so the can bus did not read any foreign signal , might be worth a shot .

Users Country Flag

Question

Hello there, I would love to arrange something like this on my (hyper cuddled) New Beetle from 2006, but I have really little clues on how to achieve it. Despite having managed to self-instruct around a number of tasks in the past, and having by now succeeded in completing a few not so elementary jobs between mechanics and general maintenance, I unfortunately remain dramatically underprepared on the electronics side, hence my ask for some help here (by the way, I write form Italy, and ended up in this forum after failing to find anything on the subject within my national pages and language... be merciful with my inperfect english!).

Coming down to the point, I'd be be eager to implement the automatic folding of mirrors and having them behaving like described above. As well as I'd like to avoid opting for the purchase of the overpriced specific VW window motor.
    At the purpose, I located a few aftermarket control modules over the Internet, but I have absolutely no idea on how and where to connect their cables (nine) in order for them to work in the same (or at least similar) way described in the munificent post by Yellow Melon.
    Here are a couple of control modules I stumbled upon:
    T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-control-module-jpg T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-control-module-b-jpg

Going just a little further, I can report that the New Beetle manual folding rearview mirrors have an 8 pins connector (1 unused pin), while the electric folding types feature an additional 2 pins connector on the side (pictures following):
    T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-connector-manual-folding-mirror-jpg T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-connector-electric-folding-mirror-jpg

The proper folding mirror switch (1J1 959 565 E), instead, appears to share the same identical connector than its simpler colleague for manual folding mirrors (1J1 959 565 B):
    T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-switch-electric-folding-mirrors-1j1-959-565-e-jpg

Moreover, the door lock module is connected (to the mirror motor, or with some of its cables going straight to the the central ECU?) through an 8 pins connector (this is its code 3B1 837 015 AS):
    Attachment 47962 Attachment 47963

That said, just in case the details might result of any "scientific" utility, I'm adding a bunch of VW codes of the window motor (please, mind that all of them apply to vehicles with driving wheel on the left, but I could provide the equivalent for australian, right hand vehicles):
    Window motor, left 1C2 959 802 A
    Window motor left, electric folding 1C0 959 802 B
    Window motor, right 1C2 959 801 A
    Window motor, right, electric folding 1C0 959 802 C

...And, at last, I'm also attaching a couple of pictures of the inner side of the door. Just in case...
    T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-door-panel-left-[img_1628]-jpg T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-door-panel-right-[img_1391]-jpg

That's the starting point, but I've no ideas on what to connect to what else... Every contribution will be hugely appreciated.
    Feel obviously free to ask for any additional detail or picture that might become relevant, and a BIG thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-door-lock-connector-01-[img_1657]-jpg   T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install-door-lock-connector-02-[img_1661]-jpg  

Last edited by tortilio; 21-02-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    New Beetle 1.6 (MY2006)

Users Country Flag
    You could consider my aftermarket approach on T6T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install

Wysłane z mojego SM-G973F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Quote Originally Posted by beny140 View Post
    You could consider my aftermarket approach on T6T5.2 / T5GP OEM folding mirrors install

Wysłane z mojego SM-G973F przy użyciu Tapatalka
    Can I ask is that a relay work around you used , I posted similar option earlier as I used the same method with trailer lights .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast