Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T5.2 Service costs

In laymans terms it could be described as a Beejeesus part because when it goes the cost will frighten the beejeesus out of you . No really its a complex piece of the DSG Auto it has been a fair sort of a problem in the smaller DSG autos the 200 series and the 250 series . The bigger model which was designed to cope with high torque engines is the 500 series and so far has been relatively reliable but as it is approaching its 3rd birthday the future is unknown . You can read here what it does Volkswagen DSG – 6 Speed Mechatronic Control Unit | my-gti.com If you need to know what some symptoms and results of mechatronic failure are read down further on the page for owners comments from around the world .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 01-10-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I've just had my T5 serviced for 30000km at VW Camberwell, it cost me just under $500. There were some recall parts & software upgrades all done under warranty. It wasn't as costly as I thought it would be.

They did mention that the brake pads & discs will need replacing shortly. Don't they just replace the pads and machine the discs? I'm not really keen on spending $1000 on brake pads & discs.

Whats your experience on this?

Users Country Flag
    Don't machine the discs. They're designed to wear down with the pads.

If they need replacing, they'll probably be too far gone to machine anyway.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

I replaced the rotors and pads on our 2005 T5 and it was only $641 for the lot front and rear , GSL Rally Sports are Forum sponsors Matt is the guy to contact . If you only have done 30.000 kays I would consider only doing pads , I inspected ours the first time and just did pads as the rotors were still in good shape . They lasted right up to 130.000 before I replaced the rotors and pads , I will admit that 130.000 was pushing the limits as there was a reasonable lip on the rotors when removed .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 05-10-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Users Country Flag
    The dealer said that the brakes pads are of a firmer compound, and the metal on the discs slightly softer, designed to wear together, and aggregately improve brake performance. That sounds like a sales pitch for the brake work.
    Why not use aftermarket softer pads & harder discs to lower the cost and potentially improve braking with a better pad?

Users Country Flag
    Why would a dealership use aftermarket?

We got the same story on our T4 many years before the T5's , it was in for service and they told my wife it would need pads at the next service , well the warning light came on after only another 2000 kays so I broached the service guy about that they got it wrong . The cost to replace then was around $1200 and I spat the dummy , he spun the story about the "soft " pad compound which gave a certain "feel" to the brakes . They did eventually do the job for half the cost and it was the last time any dealer got brake work out of me . I fitted aftermarket ones for the next ten years on my sons T4 and our previous 2 T5's . the new one T5.2 is only at 15000 kays so no worries just yet .

Users Country Flag

The pads and rotors ARE soft as standard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12