Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T5.2 Auto Headlights Retro Fit?

Users Country Flag

Hi I have a T5.2 Multivan Comfortline that came with the rain sensing wiper but no Auto headlights. I would like to fit auto headlights if possible. I have pull out my headlight switch part no. 6R0941531G It has the large plug. All the switches I have seen with the auto setting appear to have the smaller plug. Has any one seen a switch with the larger plug that has the auto setting. Alternatively does any one know if you can gat a converter for the plug large to small.Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Hi guys
    I am looking to fit Auto lights as well. Been reading the post and wondering if anyone was successful?
    My van is as follows:
    autowipers
    fogs front and back

I live in Melbourne and will be getting a Ross-tech VagCom next week.

Thanks
    Frans

Users Country Flag
    Hi
    Just checking if you ever got thr auto lights on the Multivan to work.
    Thanks
    Frans

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by fransnz View Post
    Hi
    Just checking if you ever got thr auto lights on the Multivan to work.
    Thanks
    Frans
    Best bet would be to visit your friendly local VW parts dept and get them to find what switch you need. Once you have the switch, given that you have the autowipers and the sensor, it may be as easy as coding the car with VCDS to enable the auto headlights.

Hawk, did you end up finding out what the part # is?
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Sharkie will give it a try

Users Country Flag
    Keep us posted, I'm in the same boat. I used an underground carpark during the day and forgot to turn my lights off when I got home during to kids yelling and rushing to unload the car. The result......

a flat battery and a very helpful neighbour jump starting me again.

i miss auto lights, you'd think a 2011 tdi400 would have them!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Best bet would be to visit your friendly local VW parts dept and get them to find what switch you need. Once you have the switch, given that you have the autowipers and the sensor, it may be as easy as coding the car with VCDS to enable the auto headlights.
    I'm afraid it's not that simple: The reason VW don't put the 'auto lights' in the T5.2 Multivan, even at MY2011, is because the light wiring setup is entirely different compared to the Golfs post mark V, and as mentioned above, the T5 is based on the Polo 6R electrics, which itself is based on the Golf Mk4 electrics.

The T5 actual switch with the 'big' plug carries the full current of the headlights and parking lights and DRLs. But the BCM powers the fog lights, reverse lights and number plate lights. Whereas the Highlines with auto headlights, and the models 2012/2013+ then have all the lights running via the BCM as per the latest Golfs etc....

You will also notice that "Coming Home/Leaving Home" also don't work in the T5 ... even though the Comfortline BCM has bits in VCDS to activate CH/LH!!

For a 2011 there are basically two options:

1) Buy one of these aftermarket custom light modules that translates the old 'big' plug to the new 'small plug' and has a separate little light sensor and works with the new light switch. Available for ~$50 from AliExpress incl. new switch. The old version of this module you had to run a wire to the BCM for CH/LH function, but now the Chinese have some other logic to detect unlocking (the indicator lights perhaps??) which makes it plug&play.

Link: Aliexpress.com : Buy Volkswagen Auto Light Sensor Headlight Switch Automatic induction Control For VW Golf 4 IV Jetta MK4 6 VI Bora Polo 5ND 941 431B from Reliable switch touch suppliers on SFMD Company | Alibaba Group

2) Possibly you can swap the BCM for a later version, and essentially rewire the entire lighting system (and any other changes with the BCM)

I got one of the chinese ones after accidentally leaving the lights on at night and having the cops knocking on my door because someone reported "a suspicious white van parked on the street with it's lights on" (I'm used to the Tiguan where the headlights go off after 1 minute as part of the CH function)

Disclaimer: Info gleaned from the German Transporter forums here: Warum ist im T5 EZ 09/2011 kein CAN Bus Lichtschalter verbaut? | T5-Board
    - 2011 Multivan T5.2 - 2,0L 135kW BiTDI. Mod info here
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED

Users Country Flag
    The ones on AliExpress and eBay are VW specific and plug-and-play

Search for "polo auto headlight"

Like this one: FOR VW Golf MK4 NEW Bora Polo Lavida Jetta Auto Head Light Sensor Switch Module | eBay
    - 2011 Multivan T5.2 - 2,0L 135kW BiTDI. Mod info here
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLemon View Post
    I'm afraid it's not that simple: The reason VW don't put the 'auto lights' in the T5.2 Multivan, even at MY2011, is because the light wiring setup is entirely different compared to the Golfs post mark V, and as mentioned above, the T5 is based on the Polo 6R electrics, which itself is based on the Golf Mk4 electrics.h

The T5 actual switch with the 'big' plug carries the full current of the headlights and parking lights and DRLs. But the BCM powers the fog lights, reverse lights and number plate lights. Whereas the Highlines with auto headlights, and the models 2012/2013+ then have all the lights running via the BCM as per the latest Golfs etc....

You will also notice that "Coming Home/Leaving Home" also don't work in the T5 ... even though the Comfortline BCM has bits in VCDS to activate CH/LH!!
    I had a 2011 T5GP Comfortline with factory fitted auto lights as an option. Even Coming home worked, so there is a possibility if the sensor is present. Yes, may need a new BCM and switch though.

The Chinese option for those without sensors looks like a brilliant solution though, I'd go with that
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast