Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T4 transporter gear box rebuild

Users Country Flag

They're very hit and miss at the best of times.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    there's always a big question mark as to how long these transmissions will last.
    One of the problems in have anything rebuilt is there will probably be parts that have some wear that will be reused, after all it won't be a new box. It also depends how it is treated. After reading about them on Vortex I used to treat mine very gently. They also need regular oil & filter changes + the pan & magnet cleaned. If you intend to do any towing or head up north in the summer a cooler should be fitted.
    In fact, one of the rebuilders in the USA won't guarantee their work unless a cooler is fitted.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    They also need regular oil & filter changes + the pan & magnet cleaned. If you intend to do any towing or head up north in the summer a cooler should be fitted.
    In fact, one of the rebuilders in the USA won't guarantee their work unless a cooler is fitted.
    This goes to the heart of many Europena car makers problems in recognising our climate . You see all these ads on TV and in print with carmakers driving around the deserts in Nevada for just a few weeks at best doing testing , sorry the real world is in our back yard . Six months of the year searing temperatures in the high 30's long distance and hills to boot and these supposed smart engineers think a few weeks will be ok for a test ? I am afraid sometimes overseas car makers use us as their guinea pigs , when they finally realise there is a problem they make another design . Classic example Tiptronic versus DSG Tiptronic no fluid change Sealed for Life . DSG change fluid every 60000 km Tiptronic filter INSIDE the box DSG on the outside . I cannot see how these engineers can ignore how hot it can be and not fit any sort of cooler for the auto , our fluid was burnt black when they rebuilt our Tiptronic so much for Sealed for Life .

Users Country Flag

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    My previous T4 was an auto. & while it was trouble free I do remember to have one rebuilt at the time [pre 2008] was around $6000. I don't remember if that included removal. The company recommended at the time was in Melbourne.
    EDIT Here's the company.
    A & B Automotive Remanufacturing | A & B Automatics | VW Volkswagen Remanufactured Automatic Transmissions | A&B Automotive | Automatic Transmission Remanufacturing, Repairs and Exchange Australia
    I have a 2008 T5 Multivan which had a drive line issue, I followed up A&B Automotive from your advise and I was very happy with the outcome. Thanks for your help Jetta.

Users Country Flag

I recently used A&B Automotive from Jets post. I was very happy with their workmanship and the price charged. Thanks Jets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12