Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T4 rear hatch tent

T4 rear hatch tent

Not sure if this is the right section to post??
    Im wanting a rear hatch tent after seeing one on a T5 at xmas. I contacted trakka but they stopped doing stuff for T4s "years and years ago".
    So talking to Steve from kombi rescue and he has one for a T4 that hes using for a template to get more made.
    Theres no idea on costing yet but Im sure with more orders the price will be reduced so anyone interested please contact him about ordering one.
    Nik
    I tried to upload a pic but its not working right now I,ll try again later.

Unhappy

Trakka used to charge around $950.
    Last edited by jets; 18-01-2010 at 08:59 PM.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

hatch tent

Hi Nik,

I have the Trakka rear hatch tent for my T5, but I find I don't use it much. It is quick and easy to erect, but,
    1. It's not self supporting, so you have to pack it up to drive away.
    2. You can't even close the back door (for security) if you leave, or for overnight, without again collapsing it.
    3. If you use it for the shower, you have to wait for it to dry before doing any of the above.
    4. Mine is a really tight fit in it's bag, so a pain to pack up.

I've just bought one of those little shower shelters (for about $50), which I hope will be easier to use. If I wanted more space to accomodate a family, I think I'd try to find a regular tent, that could be left in place, and where the rear door could be opened under the fly/awning to make it 'connected' to the van. That would also likely only cost a couple of hundred dollars, rather than nearly a thousand.

Your needs may be different of course.

Brian

Yes it all depends on cost.
    I have a canvas awning on the side so I cant drive away anyway
    When camping at xmas in the constant rain a hatch tent wouldve been useful as on arrival it was very hard to set up the van without putting anything out in the rain, plus the ventilation would be very welcome as I only have one sliding window.
    I have been thinking about somthing like you described tho, I already have a brand new 2 bedroom plus awning dome tent which would be good, atleast to mark your spot so its still there when you get back. But again theres not much security in a tent?
    Lots to think about.
    Nik

How about something like this...

This was my idea on this principle.

It took a little work to get it to fit.

The shelter is a Kyhan quick erect awning it takes one person 5 mins to put up.

The only problem with it at the moment its somewhere in a container with other items between the UK and Adelaide.

Rob
    Last edited by rob64981; 19-01-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Bad spelling

That the go very nice, lots of room and you can still drive away!
    Im thinking now how I could make up somthing similar.
    Nik

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    That something similar would be called an Oztent. Or you could go with a normal tent and the Oztent Foxwing

www.oztent.com

Even so we went with the Campmor Bella Vista canvas dome tent and a plain old tarp. Better quality tent, smaller package to carry http://www.diamantina.net.au/welcome/page15.php
    Last edited by Seano; 20-01-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Trakka rear tail gate annex tent available

I have a used Trakka annex available for a T4. It has a small burn hole from hot exhaust pipe, but is otherwise in good condition. It isn't as elaborate as the tents pictured above but is very simple and quick for one person to put up and it provides very good ventilation for sleeping. No mossies. It appears that the new Trakka tents for the T5 are not made of the same heavy duty material, but I could be wrong. This would make sense given the price for the T4 was around $950 while the T5 price is just $580...

Hi everyone,

I have been following this thread for a while because its so difficult to get a simple van tent or van screened room in Australia.

We have settled on the OZtent screened room for our free standing side tent with our Kombi Beach. The sides can be rolled down for light rain or wind, but its a light weight tent and mainly for shade and keeping the flies out.

We used to try to connect its awning to the van, but if you left and came back you can never get the van in the same spot, so now we are using our tarp to pull accross the tent roof. To drive away just drop the tarp off the van (it has ute tonneau cover hooks) and rehitch when you return, position isn't critical.

Here is a couple of pictures of the setup at Queen Mary Falls recently.

This is the Oztent product, and if you look at slide 3 & 4 you will see our van using it without the tarp:
    http://au.oztent.com/products/viewPr...p?productid=11

Brian

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels View Post
    Hi Nik,

... I've just bought one of those little shower shelters (for about $50), which I hope will be easier to use. ...

Brian
    Thanks for the review Brian. I initially was considering the Trakka tail gate tent just for a shower shelter when parked up on site. I was concerned about how much effort it was to set up but more importantly how secure or insecure it left the van.

I tend to stay at one place for anywhere from 1-3 days. I usually deploy my awning and shelter - it's a Howling Moon affair. I cannot drive away but that's Ok as my van is secure whilst I'm out in field (on foot). I can leave the van all locked up.

I've gone with a cheap shower tent too.

Cheers, MM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast