Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: t4 auxiliary belt tensioner bolt

t4 auxiliary belt tensioner bolt

Hi Guys

I noticed my T4 1997 2.5LTR LWD was starting to squeak on start up. Knew it was coming from t4 auxiliary belt tensioner. Sprayed some WD40 and squeak went away.

OK so I got another tensioner pulley, I have replaced a few of these but a mechanic did the last one on mine and didn't replace the bolt for the tensioner, I went to change it this morning the Bolt is rounded so I have no way of releasing the belt.

Q: I am tempted to just cut the bolt head off bit I would like to release the belt first, Any suggestions ideas on either another way of getting the bolt out or another way to release the belt so I wont have any tension on the pulley.

Also anyone know what size bolt is used for the pulley.

Cheers,
    D

As that bolt is easily got at I would grab ther bugger with a good pair of Vise Grips , if you cut it off then you will probably need to remove the whole thing to replace it .

Users Country Flag
    Those tensioner arms are known for seizing up, and not working against the spring at the back. The spring minimises the oscillations in the belt, and also prevents over-tightening, which is why your pulley bearing is stuffed.

As above, vise-grips will probably get it off. It's a pretty common metric bolt, so a replacement should be easy to source.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by touch107fm View Post

Q: I am tempted to just cut the bolt head off bit I would like to release the belt first, Any suggestions ideas on either another way of getting the bolt out or another way to release the belt so I wont have any tension on the pulley.
    You should be able to release the tension & remove the belt using a large adjustable wrench on the arm that supports the pulley.
    However you may find that after removing the belt that the tensioner arm, once the spanner is removed, will move into a position that makes it harder to get to the bolt.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Is it possible to loosen the hex bolt with belt on??

I would say yes, however it would be harder to undo with the side load. Try releasing tension with the spanner, hold in this position while trying to undo the screw.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,

Users Country Flag
    I just replaced my belt and the damn thing is still squealing, it looks like the tensioner is not playing the game and won't really move freely. Bugger is going to cost me $238 from the dealer, couldn't find a part number from a quick look to try and save some money and shop around.

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    Vagcat is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ades View Post
    it looks like the tensioner is not playing the game and won't really move freely.
    Is the tensioner arm stiff or the pulley bearing? If the former, it may need to be removed, cleaned & lubricated. As Umai Naa has said a common problem. It may not need to be replaced. It's a big job to remove with the engine mount needing to be disconnected to allow the engine to be moved down & forward from what I understand.

Silly question has any part been removed from that area ? my sons T4 before I sold it had a squeak as I had to replace an air con bearing and I forgot to fit the correct spacer/washers in the various points leading to the belt not running true over the pulley , after refitting the air con it was perfect .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast