Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: t4 auxiliary belt tensioner bolt

Users Country Flag

Just changed the tensioner and it was a lengthy job for something so simple, the book calls to drop the engine to remove it, I removed the pan, the alternator then fan-belt and pulley. The rod seems to bind up in the shaft through to the tensioner, remove the tensioner (three Allen bolts) then gently drive out the tensioner shaft, clean it up, lube it and refit. just make sure the shaft is facing the right way and not the wrong way like did initially. Prior to all this the shaft was really stiff to move and the tensioner had stuff all tension in it.
    Now it has tensioned right up and will take up the tension as the belt stretches.
    Refit sll the bits and run the engine to make sure that you missed nothing, no more squealing for me, but I will be spraying that tensnioer with a bit of WD40 from time to time.

Users Country Flag
    Drop the engine what a heap of rubbish, the tensioner spring is held on with two bolts and a third in the end to hold the tensioner arm in.
    A good modification of the bracket is to drill and put a grease nipple on so you can continually lube the arm to stop it seizing. It had seized on one of my recent purchases from NT due to the dustcap on the arm not being fitted, like in your picture, it has no dustcap, a bit of heat shrink will also work.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah........mine was seized up in my T4.
    The mechanic charged a couple of extra hours to get it out!
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag

My T4 has the tensioner in this position, above the aircon. The belt was originally routed as in the first pic. That means the tensioner is permanently hard against the loosen direction. So doing nothing. After discovering this I Routed a new shorter belt from the drive then under the tensioner up to the alternator and around. A 1460 looks OK now but as it wears in it could touch the tensioner rod, I will watch it, and may have to eventually go a little shorter . I am no expert, but at least this way the tensioner is doing its job. To fit a belt this way you have to loosen the tensioner rod cap screw about 4 turns, tap it in to give you clearance between tensioner pulley and timing belt cover, fit belt, and retighten.
    Last edited by Philip Diemar; 13-12-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12