Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T4 alternator with ac belt size?

Users Country Flag

Question T4 alternator with ac belt size?

OK so long and short is I've transplanted an AC system onto my 2.4d from my 2.5L, brackets the lot. The 2.5L is happily running the non ac bracket and belt setup. But I'm having a few drama's on my 2.4d, the belt (6pk1575) from the 2.5L seemingly is too small, now If you look at my picture, do I have the tensioner arm in the wrong place thus causing this? All the pulleys are the same size from both vans.

In the pic the eagle eye'd will notice I have been stitching old belts together to make up a new size! I'm at 6pk1615mm-1620mm

T4 alternator with ac belt size?-20170813_203355-jpg

thanks

Question is the tensioner moving when you lever it as it requires a fair bit of leverage to rotate it from the stop point . Then are the two air cons the same as VW used a couple of different suppliers so the moiunting point for one could be different from the other , I know I had a similar problem with my sons conversion .I just had another thought measure the distance between the centres of each pulley maybe the diesel block and the petrol block have different positions so the pulleys would be different distance around the way the belt runs . Also the alternator is on a pivot as well maybe check its position .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 14-08-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    oh yeah the arm moves just fine, i've cleaned it out, re-greased it and the spring is quite new so is still very strong, and heck yes it does need a lot of force to move it up. The bracket is the complete VW bracket, so it houses the alternator and air con pump. The blocks are both 5 cylinder so everything bolts across, but yes the only thing could be that the bottom crank pulley 'sits' further away, thus making the belt need to be bigger, but the pulleys measure the same size, and looking at the gap between the crank pulley and the power steering pulley is next to nothing..

the only picture i have of it when it was on the petrol van. Note the arm was actually seized on this when the pic was taken, and I am wondering if the previous owner just bought a belt that fitted...I know the bottom pulleys are different but they are actually the same size..

T4 alternator with ac belt size?-img_20170321_175708-jpg

Anyone got any pictures of their belt setups on a 2.5l or a 2.4d? thanks

Users Country Flag
    It looks right, there appears to be sufficient wrap on the pulleys.

As long as the tensioner does what it's supposed to, by being able to apply and release tension of the belt through its travel.

Rule of thumb with these is ton always firstly ensure the tensioner works, and then order a belt that fits. Due to the seemingly infinite combinations of engines and A/C compressors, there's no actual listing for them. Most of the switched-on parts places will know this, and tell you to bring measurements or a sample belt. Thankfully, a 6PK1620 does exist from Gates.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

I experienced the same problem on my previous 2.5TDI. The inside had started to develop small cracks so I picked up a Gates belt from a bearing supplier before I had taken off the worn belt. It didn't fit & so a long drive to change it for the next size. I just had a look at my records & I must have passed the old invoice to the new owner. Now I realize I should have kept a record for when I need a replacement for my current T4.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag
    Chances are, it'll still be wrong.

Easier to just consider them all to be unique.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

My tensioner is only a few years old, man its super strong, it takes a good effort for me to push that bugger up! My issue is with the belt ive come up with, 6pk1620 or 15 (will get both) the tensioner arm is at its lowest range of motion, so its like 98% of the tensioner range is doing nothing...kinda hard to explain..but i put a white dot on the arm and on the timing belt cover to see if it moved much from resting, and it hasnt really..

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Chances are, it'll still be wrong.
    Not if you take the old one in as a sample.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast