Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T4 2.5 ACU petrol timing belt replacement - tensioner adjustment

Users Country Flag

T4 2.5 ACU petrol timing belt replacement - tensioner adjustment

I,m in the process of changing my timing belt, water pump and tensioner. I finally managed to stretch the belt over the tensioner, but am unsure on how to tension the belt, there is a big black nut under the bolt, and a tab which is spring loaded. when you push this tab it tightens against the belt, but just springs back to it's normal spot.
    any advice greatly appreciated. there are youtube clips, but their T4's have a different tensioner, plus an extra idler bearing.
    cheers
    eric

Last edited by ericcs; 16-06-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Loosen the bolt, turn the black hex clockwise until the silver pointer lines up to the slot in the other silver part, and tighten bolt to lock it in place.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Loosen the bolt, turn the black hex clockwise until the silver pointer lines up to the slot in the other silver part, and tighten bolt to lock it in place.
    awesome, will do it tomorrow!
    thank you

i turned the black hex clockwise to the point where it wouldn't go further, the belt was super tight, but the pointer didn't move to the right with it. i can push it across with a screw driver with the nut loose. there is not enough slack in the belt to allow the hex to rotate 360deg. I'm now at a loss!

also, do you know the torque setting for the large bolt that holds the harmonic balancer on?
    the one supplied is about 40mm too long, so it will need to be cut down.
    Last edited by ericcs; 14-06-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Users Country Flag
    If a bolt needs to be cut down, I'd hazard a guess that it's the wrong bolt!

I was just reading about mine (which is a totally different motor) and it says there can be two different tensioners which are not interchangeable.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag
    It's possible you have the wrong kit.

It might be a 2.4D AAB kit. They're similar, but don't work.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by LogicprObe View Post
    If a bolt needs to be cut down, I'd hazard a guess that it's the wrong bolt!

I was just reading about mine (which is a totally different motor) and it says there can be two different tensioners which are not interchangeable.
    the tensioner is identical to the one i took out, and yes there appears to be two types of tensioner setups for the ACU motor. the youtube clips are for the other type(typical)

i had another go, and still no result. i can turn the hex nut 360deg and while it tightens the belt, it then slackens off on the back 180. at no time does it pick up the pointer and drag it around?
    the small 6mm bolt that holds the tensioner in place, does it need to be loose or tight when adjusting the tension, as it moves along it,s slot when tensioning while loose?
    belt and tensioner are the same as what was taken off.
    do you have a copy from a manual of the tensioning process?
    thanks, eric

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    i had another go, and still no result. i can turn the hex nut 360deg and while it tightens the belt, it then slackens off on the back 180. at no time does it pick up the pointer and drag it around?
    the small 6mm bolt that holds the tensioner in place, does it need to be loose or tight when adjusting the tension, as it moves along it,s slot when tensioning while loose?
    belt and tensioner are the same as what was taken off.
    do you have a copy from a manual of the tensioning process?
    thanks, eric
    it looks like incorrectly fitted tensioner to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    it looks like incorrectly fitted tensioner to me.
    your dead right, literally just worked it out 5mins ago. the slot in the tensioner should be over the dowel pin around to the right. iv'e been looking at that dowel pin for days, but kept going back to where it is in the photo. will be kicking my own arse for days now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast