Thread: Rns 510 maps nav drivin me crazy. (Awesome pun)

Rns 510 maps nav drivin me crazy. (Awesome pun)

Howdy. Does anybody out there have the nav system guide you on what appears to be the long way round. I've played with what I think are all the settings, and be on an established sealed, and system recognised road, with my destination 10 km away, but it still suggests 3 routes all the same that turn it into a 75km journey. It picks the freeway in the opposite direction over the road I'm on, I've selected and deselected freeways, roads, tolls, ferries, bridges etc but to no avail. I even had the vw dealer update maps and system.. and I noticed improvement with rendering and that's about it.
    Have I set the system up incorrectly or is system a lousy map reader? When using nav I mostly use google maps on my ph. I love the detail picking up forest trails that i like to explore.

Can I update the system to read other maps like the hema series?
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Cheers frank.
    Forgot to add.. Am I supposed to be able to explore the maps by tapping and moving my finger on an area?
    Last edited by Franco; 15-03-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Must be something in the settings still wrong and No you cant use different mapping in the unit. Wish we could almost anything would be an improvement
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Yes been a few complaints in the media and also over on VW,s Facebook page about the GPS in various models , some years back a Toureg driver was complaining that after spending 70K on his SUV the navigation was nearly 3 years out of date when it was delivered . He was upset because at the time the mapping did not show the Clem 7 tunnel that had been open for 2 years or more . My Chinese unit came with the IGo primo software shows 3 D imaging and off road tracks as well up to a point , the only thing it doesn't have is street names being spoken but there is a work around if you have the time to experiment .Oh and I can upgrade anytime to the latest system and maps with out a dealer being involved , bonus is that it has all three Brisbane Tunnels as well .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 15-03-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I reckon even if I ended up with a VW with SatNav, I'd still use an independent one.

My TomTom up beside my rear view mirror is in a substantially more useful location as it doesn't require me to take my eyes away from where they need be & I can check speed & rear view simultaneously. Oh, and it has lifetime maps, regularly updated.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiels3927 View Post
    I reckon even if I ended up with a VW with SatNav, I'd still use an independent one.

My TomTom up beside my rear view mirror is in a substantially more useful location as it doesn't require me to take my eyes away from where they need be & I can check speed & rear view simultaneously. Oh, and it has lifetime maps, regularly updated.
    Just be aware that in Qld at least your Satnav should be located as low as possible and out of direct line of sight on your windscreen, preferably in r/h corner. With spoken directions there really is no need to look at it. My Tomtom is nearly 9years old and gives spoken directions.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Just be aware that in Qld at least your Satnav should be located as low as possible and out of direct line of sight on your windscreen, preferably in r/h corner. With spoken directions there really is no need to look at it. My Tomtom is nearly 9years old and gives spoken directions.
    I checked with the local Police. They're happy because it is out of normal line of sight there, while it can be if installed on the lower screen.

Wish my speedo was accurate like yours. Until it is, I'll stay with the GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Howdy. Does anybody out there have the nav system guide you on what appears to be the long way round.
    Check your settings for quickest route, fastest route etc... don't know if "scenic" route is now an option lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Forgot to add.. Am I supposed to be able to explore the maps by tapping and moving my finger on an area?
    Yes... you can use it as a touch screen and scroll to where you want to go then mark it as a destination. handy if you know where it is but don't know the exact address - especially in new areas or renamed areas.
    hth
    1974 1300 Beetle, 1997 Golf GL, 2003 New Beetle Cabrio, 2014 Audi A4 quattro

Users Country Flag

10km into a 75km journey is pretty crazy, is it just this one particualr place or does it happen everywhere?

Have you tried google maps or something on your phone to see if the phone is capable of doing the right thing (which would show there is some glitch in the VW map??)

Also what maps and firmware are you running?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit