Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoration of black bumpers on T5

Restoration of black bumpers on T5

My '11 model T5 has had a fairly unsightly stain on the front bumper ever since The week I picked it up from the dealer. I didn't spot it when I got it as I think they had gone over it with something like armour all to hide it.

Looks like something as spilled on it or splashed onto it at some point and discoloured it. At first it didn't seem so bad and I just kept using armour all and it would go away but once that wears off it always comes back out.

So I'm wondering what, other than painting it I could try to restore it. I tested a little cut n polish on it the other day and it's kind of made it look ok, but don't want to use that if it's gonna ruin it further.

Here's a pic

Restoration of black bumpers on T5-imageuploadedbytapatalk1416647690-227648-jpg

The section I used polish on is to the right nearest the wheel arch from top to bottom. The stain is still visible but very faint. The run marks are the untouched part and that's what it looks like all the time.

How interesting our new T5 also had a mark on the front bumper which did not show up until quite some weeks later as well , and like yours they had done a clever job of disguising it until whatever they used just wore off . Fat chance of getting it fixed under warranty as they will probably say that the mark was your own fault . Now we used Turtle Trim Restorer on our older T5's and it works a treat . It does not have a dye like some others so you are not putting a coloured based product on the parts . Works best if left on for ten minutes before wiping and then maybe a second coat to really give good coverage Here are some reviews from overseas Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Turtle Wax T-125 Premium Grade Trim Restorer - 10 oz.

Users Country Flag
    I found using a heat gun will restore your bar cover to new....be careful and it takes a long time...you need to apply the gun heat very very close and watch the affect...try under the the bar cover as you can melt some plastic....after a short run you will get the hang of it, low low cost solution which works better than any spray on restorer.

Not sure about the heat gun as my mate was a vinyl welder repairer and the one thing he used to tell me was the bumpers were very hard to do as the pattern will melt out if you overheat it , he used to make silicone copies of different pattern vinyls and bumpers so he could "reprint"the area if damage was filled with compound . The Turtle product is wipe on with an applicator . The only other issue with heat is it can accelerate the aging process so even though the heat gun may restore it in the short term the area affected may show signs of difference to the surrounding area down the track . IMO.

brush painted my faded rear one(it is a 2004), as a test with Pot Belly Black few months back.Can't really tell it's painted unless you get real close
    Worked well.Will do the front eventually
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Users Country Flag
    It's time I did something about my realy tacky looking front and rear bumpers - they just seem to have gone downhill all of a sudden - but then I was not looking after them.
    Had a dent repair person around recently and he did mention trying a heat gun - but he did say to be careful - didn't mention issues down the track though.
    He did say his first choice would be cutting compound with a foam pad on a drill and keep lots of water up to it - that was going to be my starting point - once I've got the major damage resolved then it sound like Turtle Trim Restorer

Restoration of black bumpers on T5-20160805_121145-jpg

Restoration of black bumpers on T5-20160805_121151-jpg

Restoration of black bumpers on T5-20160805_121241-jpg

Restoration of black bumpers on T5-20160805_121137-jpg

Restoration of black bumpers on T5-20160805_121130-jpg
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

Users Country Flag
    Mix 50/50 linseed oil and turps.
    Carefully paint it on and wipe any excess off with a rag after about half an hour.
    You have to redo it about every 12 months unless it's garaged and you might get a couple of years out of it.
    I'd tried all the expensive products and this treatment is magical and cheap.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag
    I've tried many products incl. Autoglym and the Autosol works for me the best. Plastic & Fibreglass Cleaner 75ml | Autosol Australia

Users Country Flag
    Try Solution Finish on faded black plastic trim, it is amazing stuff.

Solution Finish Trim Restorer
    08 Golf GTI - SOLD

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    Try Solution Finish on faded black plastic trim, it is amazing stuff.

Solution Finish Trim Restorer
    The bumpers on most T5s I saw were actually grey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast