Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Restoration of black bumpers on T5

Users Country Flag

I use the 50/50 mix on my Volvo C30.
    Coupla times a year............comes up a treat!
    (They are black though..........I'll try it on the T5 when it comes out of the panel shop)
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag
    As mentioned by Sunny43.5 - the Turtle Trim Restorer doesn't last that long - I didn't get 3 months - probably less than 2 months.
    It looked good but it's not much time for the effort.

The stains on the bumper have gotten worse too - now it's apparent they are hand prints - so either the auto elect or the previous mechanic
    No point asking them what it was.
    So I gave them a going over for about 30 minutes with paint thinner - seemed to reduce the stains - and I wanted to get the bumpers completely clean before the next try.

So have just used Autosol plastic cleaner as also recommended here - doesn't look as nice and shiny as the Turtle Trim Restorer.
    I'll see how long it lasts.
    Last edited by aSimpleLife; 05-06-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

ooops, forgot about this thread
    Painted front bumper with Pot Belly Black.
    Rear, as a test, was done late 2014, still ok, could probably do with a refresh, but didn't bother.
    Below is half painted, half as is

Attachment 29367
    Last edited by Rebuild; 05-06-2017 at 01:59 PM.
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Users Country Flag
    used this in Anthracite on mine 2 years ago and it still looks awesome its pricey but its Wurth it.
    https://eshop.wurth.com.au/Product-c...gid/en/US/AUD/

On my T4 i used "Forever Black" but i cant find it for sale in average auto shops anymore. that stuff was great too. it was a dye and it worked great on the cab floor plastic too.
    Forever Black Car Care Bumper & Trim Reconditioner 118ml - Polish Up Store

Users Country Flag
    Still plenty of products to try
    I think if the Autosol doesn't last long enough I might just try the linseed oil and turps 50/50.
    I take it there is no going back from that black option?
    Am also thinking about just getting the front and back bumpers painted white to match the van?
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

Users Country Flag
    Well the autosol is showing signs of wear after only 1 week and a bit of rain (not garaged).
    I must have left the bumpers go too long without any conditioning - slack - looks a bit like my last cars japanese red paint - looked great after a cut and polish but was already oxidising again after a couple of months.
    I'll try another coat of autosol to finish it off - then maybe use up the turtle - then i'll give the linseed and turps a go - why not.
    Seems like one of the black paints is gunna be the go...at least it should match the new black bra I've ordered...to hide the damage to the bonnet paint work.
    When all else fails I assume I can still get the bumpers painted white...although matching the rest of the 7 year old paint will probably be a problem.

Users Country Flag
    Never thought of that............looks pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebuild View Post
    ooops, forgot about this thread
    Painted front bumper with Pot Belly Black.
    Rear, as a test, was done late 2014, still ok, could probably do with a refresh, but didn't bother.
    Below is half painted, half as is

Attachment 29367
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag
    I had let my bumpers go quite badly instead of looking after them.
    I tried the Turtle Trim Restorer and found it didn't last long.
    I then tried the Autosol and found it didn't last long either - and I applied it twice.

A few months ago I decided to use up the last of the Turtle Trim Restorer - and this time it's doing really well.
    Maybe I just needed to get it established first.
    I'll keep going with the Turtle Trim Restorer now.
    Last edited by aSimpleLife; 20-02-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Yes maybe once you have a foundation of the product a second application would last longer .

Users Country Flag

Thankyou yet again for the advice

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123