Thread: Repair Labour time. Reasonable?

Repair Labour time. Reasonable?

Hi Folks
    My 4Motion Diesel Caravelle has 2 oil leaks which I have been quoted to resolve.

One is to replace the turbo return gasket
    The other is a to replace the fuel pump gasket.

I realise that both these are in relatively awkward positions but the 19 hours labour I have been quoted does seem a bit excessive, particularly when speaking to the mechanic likely to do the work reckoned 8 hours for the turbo gasket (which he has done previously).
    I can't see the fuel pump gasket taking 11 hours.

What do you reckon? Reasonable or not?

John

Users Country Flag
    I assume the fuel pump gasket is the one on the end of the cylinder head? If so, they're maybe a 20min job to do.

As for the turbo gasket, I've not done a 4Motion one, but the ones I have done took around 6 hours. Maybe slightly more for a 4Motion.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks for the reply.
    Not sure of the fuel pump position although I was told it was on the front side of the 2.5 diesel engine.

Users Country Flag
    Oh ok, this must be a T4, in which case yes it will be on the front side. Probably only a couple of hours work there.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

IF the mechanic is part of your states Automobile Chamber of Commerce (VACC for us, I guess it is the QACC) then ther is a book with recommended time
    Those times tend to be longer than the could be done in (especially if an expert does it), but they do include cleaning and all that sort of stuff that doesn't add to your job, (but is part of theirs)

jjhobart. what car/engine is it?

In another thread he says he has a T5.
    T5 Engine Oil Leak - most likely source?

This is probably a good time to remind people to include their model of vehicle & engine when starting a new thread.
    Last edited by jets; 22-08-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

[QUOTE=jets;

This is probably a good time to remind people to include their model of vehicle & engine when starting a new thread.[/QUOTE]

And also relevant info like year / manual or auto kilometres travelled as each small piece can make keyboard diagnosis easier .

As a comparison on my 2007 T5 2.5L tdi auto I had a new turbo charger installed, Fuel & Vacuum pump and the DPF replaced and was charged 10 hours in total at the start of July. This also included washing the whole engine/transmission and engine bay and it was cleaned so well I actually initially thought they had replaced far more parts then invoiced....and the thing is a rocket...in a van-world type of way.
    Last edited by Tornado T5; 26-08-2017 at 01:07 PM.