Thread: Recovery gear for 4 motion.. suggestions?

Recovery gear for 4 motion.. suggestions?

Howdy. After all the excitement and a few drives on the beach and bush tracks, and now wanting to do more.. i thought I'd ask the question.. what does everyone keep on hand for the just in case scenarios? I know the 4 motion van is a soft off roader and I'm not looking to go rock hopping, but isolated beach and bush tracks is definitely on the cards. One thing I'm curious about is the plastic 😉 wheel jack that came with the van.. does anyone use it.. i was thinking a small hydraulic jack would b better.
    Hoping to get lots of ideas for piece of mind.
    Cheers franco

Users Country Flag
    Recovery gear for 4 motion.. suggestions?-rec-jpg

Sorry. The devil made me do it!

Does it come in black?😁

I just have to add this one , many years ago we stayed at the now gone Orchid Beach resort on Fraser Island . They had a small ski boat on a trailer and the used to tow it up the beach with a Land Rover Defender , then across the sand dunes to Ocean Lake a kilometre inland from the beach . The day we went the trailer got a flat and they tried to winch the trailer with boat across the dunes as it could not be towed as the axle was dragging in the sand , well the bloody winch got ripped off the front of the Defender and we thought that skiing was off the menu . The people with the Defender went back to the resort , an hour or so later we heard this roaring sound coming through the bush as we had walked to the lake rather than sitting in the dunes in the heat . Suddenly this monstrous Army truck came into view towing the Defender on the end of a short cable with the boat and trailer attached to the tow bar of the Landy . It was a brand new world war two Studebaker 6 x 6 all wheel drive with dual rear axles . They had bought the thing from storage as it had been mothballed since WW2 . NOTHING stopped this sucker . Apparently they used it to haul 44 gallon fuel drums across from the other side of Fraser where the barge used to unload , the Defender and the trailer barely made this thing sweat .
    Recovery gear for 4 motion.. suggestions?-studebaker_us-jpg

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    Just get a jacking plate. The first, last and only sand recovery we did with our T4 used a cast iron fry pan as a jacking plate. Worked a treat. The jack itself will be fine for a quite some time.

Sand ladders or corduroy would be useful. Maxtrax or the like.

Shovel, jack, compressor, tyre plug repair kit, snatch strap, knowledge of your vehicles recovery points, maxtrax or similar, jacking plate.

A shovel makes short work of moving material. Also means you can **** properly in the bush.

The OEM jack doesn't inspire me with confidence, I'll be replacing mine.

Tyre plugs are simple and awesome, the few flats I've had in recent years I haven't even taken the wheel off. Just plug and reinflate.

To be a good off road citizen have your own snatch strap as they degrade with every use, it's not nice to burden someone elses equipment. I remember a guy who used to carry a new snatch strap and sell it to the people he recovered. He didn't wear out his own equipment and the recoveree had their own for next time. I also carry a long static tow strap as it's better for some situations.

Knowing where your vehicle can be recovered/towed from make the job of someone helping you much easier. It's really annoying trying to work out how not to destroy someone's car. If you have a tow bar you can use the towing pin as it's a rated piece of equipment. I believe the Transporter has a front tow point behind the passenger fog light cover?? Might want to get a d-shackle to suit.

Jacking plate can be made from strong ply glued and screwed to the shape of your jack base. Scrap form ply from a construction bin is perfect.

Users Country Flag

Also the saw or even better the chainsaw can come handy.
    Big carry bags, so you can at least recover your belongings , if you get stuck and have to leave.