Thread: 4 Motion Tail shaft

4 Motion Tail shaft

Hi All,
    Well I noticed a noise the other day that sounded like interference while listening to AM radio, you know old mans radio!!, a whine/squeak that changed with vehicle speed. Thought it may be a wheel bearing but had a quick diagnosis by VWCC belconnen and he said that the tailshaft bearings were a bit notchy, he hadnt heard the noise before and only had time for a quick drive and check on the hoist so is unsure if that is the real problem but said it wasn,t wheel bearings as the noise seemed to be at a different speed to the wheel motion, more like driveline.
    So a quick call to VW, tailshaft is a complete unit, three piece with two bearings, sealed unit $1600 thanks!!
    Ah the joys of modern engineering!!
    So a major service due, brakes nearing replacement add in a tailshaft, not to mention the heater dial needs replacing and the old girl is losing her shine
    I suppose 175000 ks aint too bad but I dont see her staying around too much longer.

2006 AXE 2.5 4 Motion 6M
    06 T5 4Motion
    aka Lola the Tranny

Users Country Flag
    Remove the tail shaft and take it somewhere to check balance. The Repco machining shop should be able to do that.

Users Country Flag
    It's possible that the centre bearing is the same as a Touareg, for which there are aftermarket kits to repair them.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Had similar noise some time ago not a 4 motion though I would have sworn the front wheel was about to fall off , turned out to be a half flat tyre . I think that the lower pressure on one side was creating havoc with the Traction control system .Good luck with the repairs .

I will check that out and cross my fingers, surely a bearing can be changed!!
    06 T5 4Motion
    aka Lola the Tranny

It's a VW Tron nothing is as it seems, but if there is a will then there is a way .With a bit of hunting around sometimes you can beat the manufacturer at their own game . Is there a number on the bearing you could be lucky to get them from a local supplier or off the net .