Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new or used multivan

Users Country Flag

new or used multivan

Hi all

I am in the market for a multivan for the family and have to decide between a new van (comfortline 340 wih electric doors) or a 2010 model highline on 49000 km (approx) I think I can get the highline for just under $50000 and the new with electric doors and tinted windows costs jjust undder $55000.

I feel like I should go with the used highline but want to know if there is anything specific that would make that a bad idea (assuming the car has been serviced and well kept and gets good NRMA inspection report)

Any ideas or information would be most appreciated.

Thanks guys and girls

IN2VWS Guest
    IMO, I would go for the new van @ $55k. Mainly for the peace of mind with the warranty.
    Also, Is the new and the used prices quoted, drive away prices? If not, you can at least another $2k on top.

Users Country Flag
    So, almost 4 years or already 4 years old van with 50,000km on it, for a sake of just $5,000 ?

It's not brainer, I would buy a new one.

It will last you longer and in the 4 years time, you will have the van that is 4 years old not 8 and you should get more for it than for the 8 year old one (certainly more than $5000). Should you decide to upgrade.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks guys

so the fact that the used is a highline and the new one is a comfortline is not a big enough deal to make a difference? our main need is the electric doors and the comfortline does have them I can add the navigation radio so that only leaves the leather and the seats and 400 engine as a significant difference

One thing just ask the dealer how old the navigation software is , some VW owners have been complaining that the software in 2013 VW is up to 3 years old and they want $700 for an update . Leather is a nice option as long as you have kids who behave and keep you up the maintenance , trust me on this one as I am a motor trimmer with over 40 years experience and for me I would never fit leather into a car . The environment is just too harsh well maybe for us Qld people , also watch out for dealer fitted leather as opposed to the leather that comes from the factory . There is a huge market that has grown up around leather conversions in Australia and again with very close contact with at least 3 companies here in Brisbane who do the conversions I can say without fear that the quality is at best ordinary compared to the European stuff , all the kits that are dealer fitted here in SE Qld come from Thailand or some other Asian country so buyer beware . There is no substitute for quality leather sourced from Europe as in my old business we sourced all of our leather back in the 80's and 90's from Europe only . The best comparison of quality is that European leather sold by the square metre was around $160 if you add up nearly 10 metres for a car $1600 then the labour to fabricate covers nearly two days the average cost for us to do a conversion was around $2400 with door trims etc . The Asian kits only cost the companies here around $1100 completely made up and only need to be fitted so the dealer will pay around $1650 and you will pay between $2500 and $3000 so the mark up is huge .

IN2VWS Guest
    What do you plan to do with the van, tow heavy trailers etc.? If no, then the 103kw engine will be fine.

There haven't been many major problems with this series of the T5, except the EGR valves failing. If you had to pay to get it replaced at VW, you will be up for approx. $2500-$3000. A new van will be under warranty, so it won't cost you a cent to get it replaced.

Thanks Guys

It looks like 'that little bit of luxury' is slipping through my fingers before I even experience it

Hey don't let my comments put you off , if leather is what you desire go for it I only wanted to let you in on some industry tricks . The one thing is never let a dealer upsell you on anything you probably can source from an outside supplier yourself .

Hi Sunny 43.5 its not just your comments it seems the consensus is I am much better off buying new. the seats in the highline aas faar as I know are factory fitted leather, but I was considering aftermarket leather with the comfortline so I appreciate the info

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Hey don't let my comments put you off , if leather is what you desire go for it I only wanted to let you in on some industry tricks . The one thing is never let a dealer upsell you on anything you probably can source from an outside supplier yourself .

No problem hope you enjoy your ride keep us up to date with progress . Oh yes as was told go for new get the comfort of a warranty for 3 years .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast