Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new or used multivan

Users Country Flag

Just a little thing that you may not know that may let you get what you want in terms of those luxury items for your price range.
    I had just the same issues as you and probably did the same as you haggled with the dealer re price.
    Where I work allows me to salary package a vehicle as part of my salary, having done this before and worked out the math it wasn't an appealing option!!!
    However if you are eligible to do so, you are also eligible to get "fleet" discount. This is how it works, when you salary package a car the company you deal with arranges a fleet discount with VW you then pay all there fees etc and a standard rate of repayments, the story goes on.
    You can do this yourself, I got a letter (the VW garage have a formatted letter for you to use) from my employer to say I'm "eligible" for salary packaging my cay and thus a fleet discount.
    I took this to the VW garage and they send this to VW as proof of how they justify their discount.
    Thus my 2013 multivan which should have cost $57,000 end up at $48,000.
    I don't know where you work but it may be worth enquiring if you are eligible???

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    thanks Freo Boy my workplace goes through sgfleet and the $55000 price for the new car is thee fleet price sgfleet got through its tendering. also why did you feel the packaging is not worth it? I don't get the math but everybody keeps telling me it is worth it.

Users Country Flag
    It's only worth it if you do lots of k's, really about in excess of 25,000 per year then it brings down your tax threshold according to your earnings.
    The reason I didn't go with it is that when I looked at the package including the rego, insurance and service costs I found that I could negotiate this cheaper myself especially when you use the fuel savers from the supermarkets.
    The too big things why I didn't go for one again after my last lease, were that I could negotiate a better deal on finance than the salary package people, I got rate of 6.5% fixed for 5 years(be careful to negotiate the fixed rate deal with VW and not go down the road of their 0% option as all they do is stick another $5,000 on to the cost of there car to cover the interest costs, it's a con essentially but it looks good!! . The salary people could only get to 9% variable. Also when you finish your lease you have a balloon payment to own the car if you want to. Usually about $15,000 on a $55,000 car over 5 years. With my rate using VW finance I will own the car outright after the 5 year period.
    So all in all although you may save $8000 in tax savings but you will be worse off over the 5 years by about $10,000 net and you won't own the car. Which if you wanted to would still be worth about $30,000 give or take. Also if you wanted to change jobs in the lease period you wouldn't be faced with paying out the total price of the loan to the lease company, remember that you don't get the full value of the monies you have paid until the end of the lease period.
    If thou have got a good accountant its worth showing them the lease costs and they will explain if it's worth your while.
    hope this helps??

Thanks Freo Boy

I will check with an accountant.

Quote Originally Posted by Freo Boy View Post
    It's only worth it if you do lots of k's, really about in excess of 25,000 per year then it brings down your tax threshold according to your earnings.
    The reason I didn't go with it is that when I looked at the package including the rego, insurance and service costs I found that I could negotiate this cheaper myself especially when you use the fuel savers from the supermarkets.
    The too big things why I didn't go for one again after my last lease, were that I could negotiate a better deal on finance than the salary package people, I got rate of 6.5% fixed for 5 years(be careful to negotiate the fixed rate deal with VW and not go down the road of their 0% option as all they do is stick another $5,000 on to the cost of there car to cover the interest costs, it's a con essentially but it looks good!! . The salary people could only get to 9% variable. Also when you finish your lease you have a balloon payment to own the car if you want to. Usually about $15,000 on a $55,000 car over 5 years. With my rate using VW finance I will own the car outright after the 5 year period.
    So all in all although you may save $8000 in tax savings but you will be worse off over the 5 years by about $10,000 net and you won't own the car. Which if you wanted to would still be worth about $30,000 give or take. Also if you wanted to change jobs in the lease period you wouldn't be faced with paying out the total price of the loan to the lease company, remember that you don't get the full value of the monies you have paid until the end of the lease period.
    If thou have got a good accountant its worth showing them the lease costs and they will explain if it's worth your while.
    hope this helps??

Users Country Flag
    another thing to support the 'new' case is that VAG do running updates to common components all the time without particular annoucements. For example, when a new-design airbag sensor comes out, it goes into airbags for entire model range. Thus a newer car can have a bunch of newer generation parts throughout, whereas seemingly the same model of a few years ago is running with the older parts.
    Multivan MY12 TSI350 Red. Previous: 2008 Tiguan 103Tdi. 2010 Tiguan 125TSi.

Users Country Flag
    New is not always the best option, particularly from a depreciation perspective. I would say any 2nd hand Multivan with some factory warranty remaining is a better bet than a new one, especially considering that you can extend the remaining warranty out another 3 years if you wish.

Multivans depreciate at a massive rate ... I was offered a ridicoulous trade in on a 2yr old 30K km, $65K RRP Multivan (with options and factory warranty), yet managed to sell it 2nd hand at a price that both I and the buyer was more than comfortable with. He managed to save more than $20K of the new price and I managed to beat trade in by $10K.

Look at around at 1-2 yr old Multivans, its worth it as you may save many $$$ that way .... I for 1 would not buy a new Multivan ever again, yet a 2rd old I'd certainly consider ....
    Last edited by Sharkie; 08-11-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    I'm not saying that it's your case, but, It could also be a very unfortunate buy for some, since not everyone who is selling a 1-2 year old vehicle has a genuine reason for sale.

Thank you all for your advice.

just ordered a new comfortline, with table, electric doors, towbar, tinted windows, bluetooth and the coloured multifunction screen (we needed the car before xmas and the only new comfortline with electric doors available had the premium screen). we are going to do a novated lease and the second hand car was going to come to the same price when you take out the gst from the new one.

next step is to get and install the nav the navigation and reversing camera system. see you all on the oem audio thread with more questions.

Users Country Flag
    Congrats, When you are ready for the Nav and camera check out the JKU website. They are buy far the best priced and very helpful too.
    If you speak to the guy there I think he's called Martin he will give you names of local installers in your area that are far cheaper than VW.
    I just got one fitted $110 bucks an hour.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Freo Boy View Post
    Congrats, When you are ready for the Nav and camera check out the JKU website. They are buy far the best priced and very helpful too.
    If you speak to the guy there I think he's called Martin he will give you names of local installers in your area that are far cheaper than VW.
    I just got one fitted $110 bucks an hour.
    Sorry mate, I don't agree, just got an H model RNS510 out of Europe with latest firmware and v6 maps for under $900 delivered .... And it's the 3rd of these units I purchased from the same seller in 5 years, no issues at all. Saved more than $500 off JKU prices and paying for fitment is simply ridiculous if you have even the slightest ability to do it yourself. It is that easy .....

eBay is the answer ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast