Support VWWC

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery noise from under the hood

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

whats the DPF?

Whats the DPF?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    From what has been reported on the Brickyard forum faulty EGR valves seem to be common and it can cause DPF problems as well , add those two together and you have a nice chunk of your retirement fund spent .

Diesel Particulate Filter its a component of the exhaust system that is fairly common on diesel cars these days , its primary function is to cut down diesel exhaust soot and unburnt diesel fuel from entering the atmosphere . The DPF collects the soot etc and as long as the car is driven from time to time at highway speeds or other methods it will automatically burn off the collected stuff inside by injecting fuel directly into the filter which ignites burns off the stuff inside . If the vehicle does not achieve a certain temperature it can then start to block the DPF triggering first a warning light and then eventually loss of power . You can by driving at the highway speed avoid the problem or as been reported engage 3rd gear and drive at approx. 80kmh for 10 to 15 minutes and it will what's called "Regen " itself which clears the problem . From what I have read the EGR {exhaust gas recirculation} cause DPF problems as well , not sure of the reasons why maybe someone else will have a better explanation but it has been reported on the UK VW website forum the Brickyard . I found this bit on the net but I am not sure it can be done to the T5 EGR valves How to Clean Your Dirty Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve This will help as well Diesel particulate filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Sunny, I knew you'd have some good detail

Further to the noise issues I've been having- after having been told that if the van looses power and goes into "limp home" mode, that turning it off and on may temporarily clear that fault. So i've been doing that several times a day. Today,after a long run on a highway, it randomly seems to have auto-corrected the diesel coil light and the engine management light. The rest of the day I haven't had the 'limp home' mode at all. I hope that continues, but I will take the van to get the EGR valve replaced under warranty.

I've had some info from VW about that noise. Apparently it's the vacuum hoses. There is a internal VW technical bulletin on the matter, and at least in my case, VW are covering it under warranty.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Zaskar
    My noise seems to be more frequent, and I loose power. I did have limp mode come on last week then it went away. My Vw was out of warranty in march, I hope this fix is not costly?
    Last edited by REVHE4D; 27-07-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    2011 T5 4MOTION Duel Cab Optioned up.

Users Country Flag
    Well just had my t5 serviced, my vaccum hoses were replaced, and now I am up for a new Egr Valve as well, I hope Vw come to the party for this, as mine is out of warranty. The vaccum hoses cost me $385 fitted. Drove today after picking it up and no more mooing and no more loss of power, I also had a software update done, no word on what this did. To make matters worse my CV boot shat itself yesterday and left green goop all over my driveway, and this is going to make me another $275 poorer for install even though the part it only a few $$. All this just when my warranty has run out. I really hope this EGR gets covered.
    I still love driving my thing, but it can be costly when things go wrong.
    I am now driving around with my check engine light permanently on bwahahaMystery noise from under the hood

IN2VWS Guest
    Is this your first dodgy EGR valve on the T5?
    Only reason I ask, is that mine is on it's 3rd EGR valve. Replacement parts are covered by a 2 year warranty.

Users Country Flag

This will be my first replacement, the mechanic said they have a new part number so this must mean it is a revised part.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast