Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery noise from under the hood

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    boost control valve was the first hit when I googled it
    OK - thanks for that ... my buzzing noise generally seems to occur when I back off the throttle, even after quite gentle acceleration.
    It's driving me nuts.
    2011 T5 132kw 7spdDSG 4motion, '89 Citroen 2CV, 2006 Subaru Forester SG 5spd

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by greymad View Post
    OK - thanks for that ... my buzzing noise generally seems to occur when I back off the throttle, even after quite gentle acceleration.
    It's driving me nuts.
    does it sound like this? I captured it with my dashcam http://youtu.be/PXl99edCTB8

If so we are in the same boat I posted about it yesterday...
    Weekday: 2012 Multivan Edition 25
    Weekend: 1985 Porsche 911 Targa
    Wife: 2008 VW Toureg V6 TDI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    does it sound like this? I captured it with my dashcam http://youtu.be/PXl99edCTB8

That's definitely the noise I have noticed.
    I've only ever had it happen on 2 occasions and mine were both after I'd been idling in a parking lot waiting for a park on and off the throttle/clutch for a period of about 5 mins. Then when I switched off the car to get out, I would hear that exact noise. More like the second one in your video where it seems to fade out (a lot more like a cow moo-ing)
    No idea what it is, but if it was happening as often as in your video then I would be real freaked out!! It's quite a strange noise.....

Users Country Flag
    I think I can help with this noise. I had a similar problem with my T5.2 and asked the dealer I purchased it from to diagnose the fault. During the 3 hours they had the van they could not find a fault.
    So took my van to my local dealer (Bill Buckle Brookvale. very helpful). Took a tech for a 20 second drive and he diagnosed the fault.
    Turns out it is from a faulty Overboost valve.
    Apparently it is a known problem and there is a prescribed fix for the problem.
    Sounds like a bee stuck under your bonnet.
    If you play around with your throttle you will notice it happens when you slightly lift your foot on the throttle.

Users Country Flag
    As I posted in the other thread, sounds like a faulty Overboost valve.

VW in Brookvale knew of the problem and said there was a prescribed repair for the fault.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post

Thats exactly what it sounds like.
    Thanks for that dash-cam post

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMotion View Post
    I think I can help with this noise. I had a similar problem with my T5.2 and asked the dealer I purchased it from to diagnose the fault. During the 3 hours they had the van they could not find a fault.
    So took my van to my local dealer (Bill Buckle Brookvale. very helpful). Took a tech for a 20 second drive and he diagnosed the fault.
    Turns out it is from a faulty Overboost valve.
    Apparently it is a known problem and there is a prescribed fix for the problem.
    Sounds like a bee stuck under your bonnet.
    If you play around with your throttle you will notice it happens when you slightly lift your foot on the throttle.
    Pretty much exactly the same as I've been enduring on our T5. There at least two other threads here with what sounds to be much the same if not the identical issue. Time they were combined, maybe....?
    2011 T5 132kw 7spdDSG 4motion, '89 Citroen 2CV, 2006 Subaru Forester SG 5spd

Users Country Flag
    Since my noise issue I am also noticing that the t5 Duel cab now lugs in 5th and 6th gear were before this was happening it never lugged. Are any of you noticing the same thing?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    2011 T5 4MOTION Duel Cab Optioned up.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Further to my original post, the noise didn't seem to happen when i was backing off the power or accelerating. It was very random. Then the below happened just today.

I had a couple of dashboard lights today, a flashing diesel coil, and a static engine light. I took to a nearby dealer, who after having plugged it into a computer, diagnosed it as a faulty EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve. That helps with emissions, and instead of blowing black smoke out the exhaust, it recirculates it into something which then burns it off.

In my case its under warranty, which I'm very glad about, as the part costs $2100.

The dealer said that its fine to use until i get it fixed in a week or 2, and if the diesel coil lights up and I loose power (limp home mode), then to turn the car off- then on again and that should temporarily reset to regular power again.

I hope this helps someone with their problem.

From what has been reported on the Brickyard forum faulty EGR valves seem to be common and it can cause DPF problems as well , add those two together and you have a nice chunk of your retirement fund spent .

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast