Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAF to ecu help needed

Users Country Flag

MAF sensor

I'm after a MAF sensor part No: 038 906 461 for a 2002 T4 2.5 TDI. If anybody has one they would like to part with can they please let me know. Thanks.

Whilst a second hand one might be an avenue to explore there are several new ones on Ebay from the US or Uk for less than $100 just put that part number in agoogle search with the VW letters after and you will be presented with avariety of places to source one .

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

MAF to ecu help needed

I tried another MAF sensor in my '02 T4 TDI today but fault is still showing on the vagcomm done by Pete at Newcastle VW Center. Now I need to check the wiring. So would anybody know which pin connects the MAF to the ecu please? After replacing the MAF it cleared the fault code, and it does run a bit better power wise but the fault showed up again. Any help at all would be appreciated in regards to this. What it seems I have to do is use an ohm meter to trace the wire and replace it by splicing into the wire both ends and bypassing the original one. I'm hoping I can do it without taking it to an autoelectrician and save me some costs. I'm only on a disability pension so funds are hard to come by after repairs I already done to it.

Users Country Flag
    Maf sensor pin
    3 goes to pin 49 in ECU. wire colour Orange/brown
    4 goes to pin 30 wire colour white/silver/vi
    5 to pin 68 orange/Vi
    2 connects to fuel injection timing solenoid which connects to ECU
    Last edited by Transporter; 15-08-2017 at 05:06 PM.

As these vans get older, the wires running in the sheath along the top of the engine can rub through the insulation causing all sorts of problems.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Thanks guys ��

Got a used one from Camden GTI but it still shows up as error so now gonna get a multimeter and test the wiring. Bummer though as I was hoping this would fix it...

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    What it seems I have to do is use an ohm meter to trace the wire and replace it by splicing into the wire both ends and bypassing the original one. I'm hoping I can do it without taking it to an autoelectrician and save me some costs.
    This is the next step I would do, but would add to carefully remove the wires [not disconnecting] from the sheath inspecting the insulation on all the wires for any damage. You won't need an auto electrician, it's DIY job.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    This is the next step I would do, but would add to carefully remove the wires [not disconnecting] from the sheath inspecting the insulation on all the wires for any damage. You won't need an auto electrician, it's DIY job.
    Yes it is as long as it really is a maf sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Whilst a second hand one might be an avenue to explore there are several new ones on Ebay from the US or Uk for less than $100 just put that part number in agoogle search with the VW letters after and you will be presented with avariety of places to source one .
    A word of caution here. There has been several reports on the T4 Forum of people buying the cheaper brands on Ebay only to find they needed to replace them with better quality ones like the Bosch. I replaced one on my first T4 [Bosch] that wasn't cheap but work perfectly for at least the many years that I owned it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast