Support VWWC

Thread: Looking at purchasing a T4 (NSW)

Users Country Flag

Looking at purchasing a T4 (NSW)

G'day Folks,

So I'm looking at buying a Van for work / play purposes - for work I print shirts & other things, no real heavy items to cart around just bulky that's the main reason I want a van

For play I kayak fish - my kayak lives on it's own small trailer which weighs 300kg all up, so a T4 should be able to tow that easy right?

I've had a little mechanical experience with Holdens over the years (I know I know, bogan cars) but looking at what's on the market is confusing me to no end, the more I look the more I get confused!

My only requirements (so far) are;

- Under $10k (lower the better)
    - Not keen on anything with massive k's
    - Manual (I've had enough Auto boxes crap themselves over the years so I'd like to avoid putting the Auto Trans guys kids through school, again!)
    - Prefer 2nd row of seats but I understand it's not hard to find aftermarket seats?

Things I'm not sure about;

- Petrol or diesel? What's the diff?
    - SWB or LWB? More room can't help right????

Is there anything I should be wary of? anything that would turn you off buying? Any suggestions folks?

Does anyone in West Sydney own one that I could come have a look/perve at?

Cheers,
    Dave.

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    For your budget and skills, I'd reckon a petrol 2.0 SWB would be the better bet. But then I'm not entirely sure I'd recommend a T4 at all given your needs & budget...especially if you need it to help you earn a crust.

Whilst it'll do everything you are asking of it...it may let you down on occasion if you are unlucky. Many of them would be hammered ex commercial hacks for starters.

Have you considered a station wagon (of any breed), a japanese 2wd dual cab or a toyota hiace? While they offer no gaurantee of reliability...they are often easier for a local to look after and source parts for.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the opinion mate, much appreciated.

I've had a look at the Jap equivalents and spoken to a few of the couriers / delivery drivers the drop stuff off to me, been told to avoid the Express on many occasions, Hiace are OK when new but aren't without their fair share of problems.

I spoke to the local (non dealer, independent) mechanic that services my car now, turns out he used to work for the local volks dealer group and knows the T4 pretty well, gave me a rough idea on things to look out for, reckons a Petrol 2.5 is the go????

I'd really like to avoid the Express & Hiace, one of the reasons it the ride, I'm 6'2 & I've got a permanently broken leg (I'm partially disabled) so I find "climbing" up into a car is easier than climbing out if that makes sense. Everyone I know that has the Express reckons it's a bloody uncomfortable ride and the Hiace just doesn't seem to have the cabin room the T4 has???

For the work use that I will be using it's not like it will be time critical deliveries / courier and stuff like that, it's more when I go to pick up stock from suppliers, pick up a some timber supplies etc. so the occasional let down is manageable

Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
    For your budget and skills, I'd reckon a petrol 2.0 SWB would be the better bet. But then I'm not entirely sure I'd recommend a T4 at all given your needs & budget...especially if you need it to help you earn a crust.

Whilst it'll do everything you are asking of it...it may let you down on occasion if you are unlucky. Many of them would be hammered ex commercial hacks for starters.

Have you considered a station wagon (of any breed), a Japanese 2wd dual cab or a Toyota hiace? While they offer no guarantee of reliability...they are often easier for a local to look after and source parts for.

I'll be selling by LWD TDi Synchro soon.
    It's nice to have that extra traction I reckon.

I would also go with the 2.5 litre engine its a real goer my sons 97 T4 with 2.5 leaves my 2.0 lt T5 for dead even though the dealer told me that it was the same kw output as the old 2.5 Fing LIAR he was, all VW did was lower the final drive ratio so the bugger spins 450 rpm higher at 100km than the T4 .

with the dust and flies in western Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by dirtypig View Post
    Thanks for the opinion mate, much appreciated.

I've had a look at the Jap equivalents and spoken to a few of the couriers / delivery drivers the drop stuff off to me, been told to avoid the Express on many occasions, Hiace are OK when new but aren't without their fair share of problems.

I spoke to the local (non dealer, independent) mechanic that services my car now, turns out he used to work for the local volks dealer group and knows the T4 pretty well, gave me a rough idea on things to look out for, reckons a Petrol 2.5 is the go????

I'd really like to avoid the Express & Hiace, one of the reasons it the ride, I'm 6'2 & I've got a permanently broken leg (I'm partially disabled) so I find "climbing" up into a car is easier than climbing out if that makes sense. Everyone I know that has the Express reckons it's a bloody uncomfortable ride and the Hiace just doesn't seem to have the cabin room the T4 has???

For the work use that I will be using it's not like it will be time critical deliveries / courier and stuff like that, it's more when I go to pick up stock from suppliers, pick up a some timber supplies etc. so the occasional let down is manageable
    Oh there's no question that the Jap vans are ergonomic nightmares. And they'd be even more so with your height and disability. If you do have a good mechanic with a VW background then all the better....and I'd forgotten about the 2.5 petrol motor.

If you can find a tidy one with a 2.5 engine then it'd be worth a shot. Just get your mechanic to have a look and listen.

I'd still consider the Toyota Tarago, Kia Carnival or Honda Odyssey (or plain jane station wagon) if you come across a decent one - just pull out the unwanted seats.