Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lift up roofs

Lift up roofs

Can some of you please give me links to companies that do lift up/pop top roofs for a T5?
    When we come over i am going to purchase a T5 multivan and would like to put a pop top on it.
    This would allow us to sleep the 4 of us in the van.
    I could put a Reimo one in our container when we pack but its the fitting that worries me!!!
    Cutting a big hole in a $40 vehicle
    We are going to be in Adelaide but driving somewhere is not a problem as long as its not Perth
    Thanks Rob.
    Ps i have now sold our house in the UK so i hope the visa comes soon

Quote Originally Posted by rob64981 View Post
    Can some of you please give me links to companies that do lift up/pop top roofs for a T5?
    When we come over i am going to purchase a T5 multivan and would like to put a pop top on it.
    This would allow us to sleep the 4 of us in the van.
    I could put a Reimo one in our container when we pack but its the fitting that worries me!!!
    Cutting a big hole in a $40 vehicle
    We are going to be in Adelaide but driving somewhere is not a problem as long as its not Perth
    Thanks Rob.
    Ps i have now sold our house in the UK so i hope the visa comes soon
    hi Rob, this mob is a campervan hire company in Sydney that now do conversions, don't know what they are like, but if you work through the links they do lifting roofs for $5500 to $5600 hope this helps
    http://www.camper.com.au/pg_conversions.php

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
    hi Rob, this mob is a campervan hire company in Sydney that now do conversions, don't know what they are like, but if you work through the links they do lifting roofs for $5500 to $5600 hope this helps
    http://www.camper.com.au/pg_conversions.php
    Just realized you are bringing your own roof !! they do say they will do what you want so maybe can help you

congrats on the house sale !!
    Last edited by jimmyd; 09-02-2009 at 08:19 PM.

no reply ?

Sorry if i did not explain properly.

I am thinking of bringing a Reimo roof but did not know if this was cost effective?
    I have never fitted a roof but would be confident of doing in the UK.
    Lots of friends to help and know where to get bits from.

If i did it in OZ i would have to hope people would come round and help!

So i would be interested in any other companies that could do the whole job or just fit a roof.

I am also looking into the costs of bringing a roof over..
    Would i not have to pay import duty on this item?
    What is the cost of the duty?

Cheers Rob

You might be able to get away with no duty or GST if you buy it a while before you travel (there are rules somwhere on personal effects which are generally not liable for GST or duty when emigrating to Oz).

The other thing to consider though is if you buy it nearer to when you travel you may be able to get a VAT refund on it, though I expect this could be quite tricky!

Cheers

David

Users Country Flag
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Rob, I would probably get Trakka to install one of theirs, depending on price of course.While I haven't seen some of the others, I know Trakka do top work with quality components. I am not impressed with the roof on the Kea camper, having used one for 3 days. You may have trouble getting someone to install the roof you bring with you. I would approach some of the people on the link.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Last time I talked to Trakka (a couple of years ago), they were only interested in doing a complete conversion (roof AND interior), they wouldn't just put a roof on.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Yesterday I went to the Caravan & Camping show & spoke to David Greenslade from Dario & he inbicated they could fit a roof for you Rob.
    http://www.dariocaravans.com.au/
    The laws in Aust. are probably tougher than in the UK. When I sold my last van to I guy in NSW, he phoned the Road Traffic Authority & they were talking about an engineers cert. if a pop top was fitted. I told him he wouldn't need that because the conversion was done by a registered company & an approval plate had been fixed to the door pillar.
    I don't know how you would feel about buying a used camper that has been hired. A company called KEA has a number of ex rental vans for sale starting at $ 46,000. They are around 2 years old, 100.000km to 150.000km.
    They are LWB 2.5 96kw autos complete with HWS & shower handpiece, solar panels,flip down DVD screen etc. IIRC they were around $85,000 new.
    While IMO they are not as good as a TRAKKA they are better than the Sunliner.
    http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automo...reviousSite=AT

http://au.kea-rv-sales.com/VehicleLi...ge=1&special=0
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast