Support VWWC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insulating T5 "Another wet weekend and someone is getting a makeover"

Very tidy sunny, out of interest, how is the ply flooring fitted? Screwed and glued or just glue? I'm keen to finally finish my fit out in my van, any hints for ply figment on floor and walls would be great.

Hi Foxpuppet the ply is cut to shape first the main thing to do is before fixing to the floor is to plot where the raised ribs are this prevents putting screws in to a hollow section where they may miss the floor . What I do is to put some measurments on a piece of paper and then mark the same positions to the ply . I used some strips of sound deadener in the hollows [helps keep down noise] and then use liquid nails along the raised ribs it then stops any movement and keeps it all tight . You can fit some extra pieces of ply at the outer edges as there are no ribs this way you will not buckle the ply when screwing it down . The side walls are a bit more work again lots of measuring but once you get the ply cut to size I used lots of sound proofing glued to the outer wall skins and everywhere else as well I also used some small blocks of foam to fill out the area where there are blank windows it helps to stop any vibrations , you only need some thing like an old foam cushion to cut up . If you are fitting the ply over the original side trims I also glued some thin foam strips to stop any rattling as well . Once you have screwed the ply just make sure it does not rattle before covering . Hope it goes well don't hesitate to ask any other questions . Howard

Definetly take sunny43.5 advice, I have been driving the van for about 2 weeks daily now and it is an absolute dream to drive and so much better then I had ever hoped! Thanks again sunny43.5

Thanks H glad to hear your enjoying the peaceful drive . Are you doing the three round Supercross series just about to start ?

Hey sunny43.5 yeah mate planning to!!! Will be awsome

Hi Howard, what length screws do you use for fixing down the floor? Any spots to avoid or are the floor ribs free from things mounted to the other side?

Hi Foxpuppet I used 12ml ply and the screws were 18mls or there about's from memory , like I said further back make sure to plot where the ribs are or the screws will be in mid air make sure to use a few off cuts to make the outer sides the same height as the ribbed area or you will buckle the ply when screwing it down . There is nothing under those ribs to worry about just avoid the welds in the flat areas the screws will break off . You can easily see the line of welds which indicates where the chassis is welded to the floor , good luck with yours lets see some pics as you go .

I used 12ml ply
    Hi Howard, please don't take this the wrong way, and I know that I'm being pedantic, but I can't help noticing that you always refer to mm (length) as being ml (liquid volume).

I know that this doesn't distract from the knowledge that you bring to this forum, and I recognize the input and the advice that you continuously contribute, but I can't help myself anymore!

Aww come one is that the worst I can do , jeez 62 years of age gives me the right to stuff up the short cuts as I was bought up in the middle of the metric imperial conversion and I am STILL trying to work it out . See I see it this way the word for measurement is Millimetres and the word for liquid is Millilitres both have the letter "L"so I unfortunately use the L instead of the M . Whenever I want ask a person to pass me a certain size screw or bolt I say in speech I want a 15mil screw , if I was to say it the correct way I would say could I have a 15mm ?? duh it just doesn't rhyme . Now as I have never from memory used the word millilitres it never crossed my mind . Now as a good boy I will try and do better next time . You see part of the problem for this old bugger is that I still have problems with people who tell me something is 55cm long in my mind I would say its 550ml's oops 550mm long as I can only break down a metre long item into 1000 mm's [ nice chocolates by the way ] . Okay end of prattling on I am sure everyone knows the sizes any way . Be warned I will be watching your postings in the hope of catching you out Ha Ha .

You can't blame age Howard as we're not that far apart!

Dam'it I knew I should added a few more chocs!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast