Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am sad. My T4 has been eviscerated

I read that you used a SMF. How's that going? Please report back after a while if you notice anything negative with driving/noises etc.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by LogicprObe View Post
    T4s always need CV boots.
    I think it was a design fail.
    I haven't experienced that. Over the last 14 years of T4 ownership [2 vans] I have only replaced one boot. In the last year replaced one on our Mk5 Golf, none on a previous Mk2 GTI & a couple on numerous Mk1s. Boots can vary in quality, so I have always used Lobro brand & have never had one fail while in my ownership.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    Following up on this...

There's been a couple of issues, mostly to do with the gutting and refitting. One headlight not plugged in while the other lost its bottom adjuster, spotlights and second battery relay not reconnected to earth.

The main one was one of the bolts connecting the rear drive shaft to the back of the gearbox came loose and it would strike something in reverse setting a bang clunk in the driveline. Also didn't help driveline vibration. Fixed now!

The SMF is noticeable. Higher NVH all round. As the boss says it sounds and feels rougher, more truck like. But otherwise the driving experience is fine.

Unfortunately, the shop did not pick up on a noisy input shaft bearing before they gutted it. So it's still noisy...oh well.

You can pull the transmission out without pulling the engine as well, even the slightly difficult access to the flywheel is preferable to pulling EVERYTHING off the front of a T4. In all the T4 TDI autos I replaced we only pulled 1 engine, and found that was more messing around than the official way, which we weren't using either, we just muscled the things in and out.
    270k is very good life, my old Sprinter work van destroyed it's DMF and clutch at just over 150k, and I'm a tad worried my current Citroen is going to need attention in that area in the near future, only 60k on it. Granted the Merc and Citroen are automated manuals, I laugh when people say that style of transmission is easier on the driveline, the computer treats the clutch, and thus the DMF, as a fuse.

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    You can pull the transmission out without pulling the engine as well, even the slightly difficult access to the flywheel is preferable to pulling EVERYTHING off the front of a T4. In all the T4 TDI autos I replaced we only pulled 1 engine, and found that was more messing around than the official way, which we weren't using either, we just muscled the things in and out.
    270k is very good life, my old Sprinter work van destroyed it's DMF and clutch at just over 150k, and I'm a tad worried my current Citroen is going to need attention in that area in the near future, only 60k on it. Granted the Merc and Citroen are automated manuals, I laugh when people say that style of transmission is easier on the driveline, the computer treats the clutch, and thus the DMF, as a fuse.
    Yeah I know that from reading the workshop guides but try telling that to a mechanic. Especially when they get that info out of their subscribed workshop guides. Oh well...

Mind you...the syncro drivetrain adds to the perceived complexity so maybe that's what triggered it?

Users Country Flag

Synchro is a little trickier to work with, but as far as pulling the gearbox out, it's a little more work compared to a front-wheel drive one, but not to the extent of dropping the motor out.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12