Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I accidentally disabled the gear stick in the T4

with the dust and flies in western Victoria

I accidentally disabled the gear stick in the T4

Was 'negotiating' with the child in the back seat from the front seat whilst parked in town. My manoeuvre pushed weight against the T4's gearstick which I felt shift under my weight and I thought I'd simply pushed the stick out of 2nd and into neutral.

Nope.

When I came to getting underway the lever had gone well floppy and there was no notchy gate feeling. A quick play made me realise I had 3rd and 4th but nothing else. Pox! We got underway with the intention of hitting up my mechanic before I realised that Old Mate has Friday's off. Double Pox! So I had to do a block and get the DOKA up to the VW dealer (triple pox?)....no mean feat in 3rd with numerous roundabouts and the odd stop sign but I only stalled it the once.

Rolled into their carpark and the hit up the desk to find the VW mechanic was a lunch. Tried to track down the missus for a lift but no go - out of office. Quad Pox!

The child and I had nothing better to do so after peering underneath to find linkage in place but wickedly floppy I though to lift the bonnet and see what I could see over the gearbox. Sure enough...the T bar end of the selector rod (bottom of diagram) had been displaced. The ball (41) side of the T situated over the selector plate (50) had been pushed out of the clevis socket (49).

A simple grab with one hand and squeeze got the parts back together with only well greasy fingers being the cost. And I had full functionality again though some of the easiest least resistant shift feel one is ever likely to experience.

I suspect that since it was so easy to both break and fix that worn parts are distinctly likely. So the VW bloke can have it next week and I suspect some wear parts (balls, bearings and clevis can be renewed...

Damn glad though I was sufficiently aware to manage to avoid a rather hefty taxi bill...

Job well done I know what you mean about the T4 selector gizmo I did two of them on my sons T4 .

Yes, replacing of balls on linkage comes up quite frequently on higher mileage vans on the T4 Forum.Yours may have gone bit longer if it hadn't been for your mishap, worth changing though. Thanks for sharing.

I know you are getting VW to replace them Seano but here's a link for anyone else reading this thread with the same problem.

Gearshift Bushes - how to - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum
    Last edited by jets; 16-02-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Thanks for the link. The smaller ball end has to be knackered...it was too easy to relocate. I'm not wedded to the idea of the dealer fixing it but current lack of a suitable press is a concern. I do have a bench vice that could suffice if I did the small ball end of T bar first.

The key will be sorting the right part numbers (though I suspect that most noughties T4 will be the same) and sourcing the parts...might be worth checking out the dealer parts counter tomorrow...

There's a wrinkle with my DIY plan....

The parts diagram for the selector rod is actually this one...

which in itself is no big deal. However, my suspicion that there's not enough bolts for part 52 was borne out when I realised upon inspection that a transmission mount/strut is bolted in over the top of it. It runs across towards the battery box and it seems to be required to prevent lateral movement rather than up and down movement. It's part 8 in this diagram...

So I suspect that I need to support the engine whilst I'm playing...which can be done but it does make it a bit more complicated...
    Last edited by Seano; 18-02-2013 at 08:48 AM.

A follow-up to this little tale. I've established that replacing the bushes 'should' be a methodical arm wrestle so I set about hunting the parts.

The parts I needed are labelled 27 (2 of), 40 (2 of), 43 (3 of), 46, 47 and 53 (1 of each) in the Vagcat image. Turns out they are all still available. I turned up three of the parts in the UK and none were much more than a couple of Oz dollars each . However, shipping was expensive and three parts couldn't be IDed.

I left a couple of messages with Inchcape and ASV but got nothing back. Camden GTI got back to me saying they couldn't help. So I trundled down to the local VW parts counter this morning and walked away $123 poorer. That's right - ten pieces of engineered plastic with an average price of $12.30 each. Like....wow. Even allowing for $10 freight...that's still what can only be described as an adequate markup...<sigh>

Hopefully I'll have them mid next week.

I feel your pain whilst I don't deny that companies have to make a profit its widely known that Australian customers are paying an inflated price compared to other countries . I recently priced up a air con blower fan under the dash for my van Aussie price over $500 I did some research and found out that in China they make parts for VW and the same fan was less than $20 naturally I would have to buy at least a hundred to get that price but it shows up the difference . Naturally I would expect the part from Europe would have been made in Europe but the difference is too much in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
    The parts I needed are labelled 27 (2 of), 40 (2 of), 43 (3 of), 46, 47 and 53 (1 of each) in the Vagcat image.
    Just wondering why 3 off no43.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

That'd be a typo...42 is the widget I meant.

True the price is a bit eye watering when you consider I could have bought a rather swish (and far more complicated) rear derailleur for the mountain bike for the same sort of money. On the upside...the gear selection should be good for another decade. The only way I'd get a decade out of a derailleur is to hang the bike on the wall!!!

Success. Four hours.

Only fail was that I couldn't change the bush on the shift plate (48 in the image above) because there wasn't enough leverage available to get the thing off the gearbox...and by the time I realised I might've been able to push the bush out and in by hand...I'd already replaced the shift lever and clevis which blocked access to the bush. Never mind. All the similar bushes were in good nick.

I'll write it up properly later with some pics as there's the odd trick with the ACV/02G combination that hasn't been covered by other similar threads. Suffice to say that access through the engine bay is...compromised and you need the odd 'special' tool to get the parts in and out.
    Last edited by Seano; 15-03-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast