Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Identifying T5 Transporter Part

Users Country Flag

Help Identifying T5 Transporter Part

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if anyone can help me out by identifying what the following part is ? I found it under my T5 Transporter Runner 2012 recently. It was found underneath the spare wheel at the back of the car.

Help Identifying T5 Transporter Part-img20180224162809-jpg

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Tom.

It's the handbrake tensioner , I crawled under ours and if you look forwards from the rear you will see the two cables going to each rear wheel . If you look on the cross member the spring attaches to the body and then onto the part that the two cables are retained on . I will post a photo shortly .
    Help Identifying T5 Transporter Part-hanbrake1-jpg
    Help Identifying T5 Transporter Part-handbrake-jpg
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 24-02-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    It's the handbrake tensioner , I crawled under ours and if you look forwards from the rear you will see the two cables going to each rear wheel . If you look on the cross member the spring attaches to the body and then onto the part that the two cables are retained on . I will post a photo shortly .
    Help Identifying T5 Transporter Part-hanbrake1-jpg
    Help Identifying T5 Transporter Part-handbrake-jpg
    Thanks a bunch for helping me out. Going to crawl under the van now and see if I can get it back on.

I would suggest that the black plastic part might have thread inside check to see if its stripped , hard to imagine it just came undone so a good look will make certain its ok .

Users Country Flag
    Good work Sunny............I was gonna have a look when I changed the oil today but it's too wet.
    (the part did look familiar though)
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Yes I went down late last night between rain and had a look , it was a squeeze with my fat gut and lowered van conspiring to make it hard to get under LOL . So I took multiple photos and chose the best .

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yep looks like the thread inside the black plastic attachment is stripped. Thanks again guys for your help.

Now to try and source this part.

Seems like a parts store in the UK has them:
    Last edited by xcal_au; 25-02-2018 at 02:31 PM.

No Problem it never hurts to ask a question regardless of how strange it may be .I put the part number into a Google search like this 701711367VW and it gives quite a few places that stock the part , now I would suggest checking local VW dealer first as a few places I looked at want around $40 to $50 for freight alone !! Small items are unfortunatley expensive to send it seems , I buy a lot of parts from overseas and even though they can be up to half the cost of local suppliers the freight has to factored in before purchase .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 25-02-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Users Country Flag
    You could just about knock up something to replace that plastic coupler with the right sized nut, a bit of strap & a steady hand on the welder.

Another idea put a cut down each side of the threaded part with a hacksaw and then refit with a couple of stainless steel clamps to close the sides onto the thread , might be short term fix at least .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast