Support VWWC

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Harold - the T25 van (1.8T content)

Users Country Flag

i have successfully soldered cables together, the crimped single tube swages for added strength!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    How about a piece of clear plastic tube just enough to cover the join cut a slit down the side and fit it over , but hey its not that big a deal I suppose . Car makers do some pretty ordinary things so up to you .
    That's a good idea mate, I'll have to see if I have some tube left over from an old job. Will keep the dirt away too!

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    i have successfully soldered cables together, the crimped single tube swages for added strength!
    My dad and I were contemplating soldering it together, but wasn't sure it was possible. I was actually going to drop a blob of weld on it
    Maybe I'll drop a blob of solder as a precaution. Thanks Eric!
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

I shouldnt go anywhere, this what we used to do to make handbrake cables shorter for beach buggies.
    Widebody Cayman S Turbo, 83 ur Quattro
    2000 996 C4 cab,12 Scirocco R OEM+ STG2+
    72 914 (3.2S boxster pwr), 92 G60 Corrado
    76 Scirocco(TFSI and DSG) 2018 Tiguan,Eureka,81 924.

We used swages for the Stainless steel cables on my racing catamaran guy wires and they held thousands of pounds of strain .

Quote Originally Posted by aprr32 View Post
    I shouldnt go anywhere, this what we used to do to make handbrake cables shorter for beach buggies.
    We used swages for the Stainless steel cables on my racing catamaran guy wires and they held thousands of pounds of strain .
    You guys are making me feel confident the swages weren't a bad idea haha. Thanks!!

I was at WTAC this weekend so not much progress, but got back on it on Monday.
    I started on the radiator. Took the van off the car ramps to level it out a bit and make it easier to work on the front end.
    Radiator was pretty easy to get out took only 20 mins.

New vs. old

Fan shroud removed and installed, and also added a new genuine thermo fan switch, a bloody expensive $89.

Before I installed the radiator, I realised that each 3m rad pipe might have old coolant and other crap inside.
    So I added an old coolant hose and jammed in the garden hose, then proceeded to pump it at full blast. I forgot to take a pic of all the ugly brown/green crap that came out!! Luckily I did it before adding the radiator, phew!!

Now it was time to install the radiator, but noticed it was missing the rubber dampers. So I improvised with a bit of fuel hose to add to each end, and on she went! Nice and snug fit.

On she goes

Ok, time to move onto another task I have been struggling with - intake pipe and box.
    I've really been picking my brain over the past few weeks with the intake pipe and how I can make it work. The normal mk4/audi intake pipes don't work here, and I couldn't figure anything else out. Decided to order a cheapo silicone hose from ebay and chop it up for test purposes.

After cutting it and playing around with it, I realised I needed another 90deg 2"-3" silicone hose.
    Ordered it, and was happy to see it had worked out in the end! A quick PVC pipe to test fit it all, shows good results

Action shot - and rough finished result.

Still very rough at this stage, but atleast I have an outline of how its going to sit, and from there I can finalise it with time.
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Have you got a pilots license for that , because it looks from that engine the bugger is going to fly .

Users Country Flag

ost site

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    Yeah I know mate, I've been having so much issues uploading images. I FINALLY found a site that does it, and now the images are cut in half. Grrrrr it's just so frustrating as I've got so many photos and struggling to upload haha. I've been through 5 different image hosting sites and none work aceept for ctrlq.com, but it seams to cut images for some reason. I'll keep trying
    login - cubeupload
    The road is my favourite resturant!

Have you got a pilots license for that , because it looks from that engine the bugger is going to fly .
    Hahaha, I think it looks fast because I've used a lot of blue! But no I actually anticipate it will be pretty slow as the van is a heavy bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by kombivan View Post
    Thanks I'll give it a try !
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Wiring and coolant plumbing is really the last big tasks that remain, so I figured adding fluids now is as good a time as ever.
    That 5L bottle is distilled water. No, I don't really need it - but VW has recently released a bulletin with some apparent research that in different states/countries water can vary and some of the chemicals (I'm no scientist) can leave deposits and build up when mixed with coolant. I have actually noticed this on a few engines I've work over the years, so figured what's $5 for some clean distilled water.

In order to undo the drain/fill plug for the transmission - I didn't realise I needed a special hex. I didn't have one, so welded up a nut and bolt together and used a socket to undo it. Worked well.

Then it was just a matter of filling it till it overfills a tad and putting in the plug. Strange as I read that it takes 3.5L however I used almost 4L and it still didn't overflow out. I decided to stop anyhow just incase. Will have to research a bit more.

Also topped up fresh engine oil, decided to stick with genuine 5w30 for now to see how it will take it. (I used to run 10w40).

After checking atleast 5 autobarns and supercheap auto's I managed to find some rad hoses that could work.
    The issue I have is the pipe that runs under the car is 40mm, and the rad pipes off the engine are 32mm.
    I have searched hi and low, but without breaking the bank there is no way to get an adaptor to fit that. So I decided to settle for 40mm hoses, and just add an extra bit of hose inbetween it (I'll try demonstrate it in a pic further down.)
    Found the right shapes too which was good. Just a quick test fit here.

I got some 32mm hose and a quick look to see if it fits into the 40mm hose well.

Test fitting the cut out.

.. and on it goes. I ended up putting one side on lastnight. It seams super tight, especially with a nice fat clamp. I don't think there is enough pressure for it to pop off (I reallyyy struggled to get it on). Time will tell though.

I'm very glad as this was the most cost effective method out there - I had friends suggesting to get stainless pipes made up, and then reduced down to 32mm, but that was super expensive.
    Now I just have to do the smaller 90deg hose and the rad hoses are done!!
    Last edited by GeorgeMK1; 20-10-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

As long as it's all tight. I had to do this one a VR6 in a maccas carpark at GAD one year.

It's still going 2 years later.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast