Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Harold - the T25 van (1.8T content)

If I ever find the guy who invented cable ties I think I could be tempted to give him a big hug or maybe a kiss {no I'm not leaning towards the darkside either " As for your neighbour if you hear the sound of a chain saw starting up RUN like HELL . Keep up the updates loving it so far .

I'm not sure what size pipes you are dealing with are but I recall the earlier Golfs used to have a coolant pipe that ran down low across the front of the engine (from the water pump?) that was about 1'' at one end and then tapered down to a narrower diameter. It might have been a heater hose off the top end of the cylinder head, I just can't recall. I think Falcons used to run a pipe like that as well that may be cheaper.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    If I ever find the guy who invented cable ties I think I could be tempted to give him a big hug or maybe a kiss {no I'm not leaning towards the darkside either " As for your neighbour if you hear the sound of a chain saw starting up RUN like HELL . Keep up the updates loving it so far .
    Hahaha if I hear a chainsaw I am running in the opposite direction. If the updates stop..... you know where to to look for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    I'm not sure what size pipes you are dealing with are but I recall the earlier Golfs used to have a coolant pipe that ran down low across the front of the engine (from the water pump?) that was about 1'' at one end and then tapered down to a narrower diameter. It might have been a heater hose off the top end of the cylinder head, I just can't recall. I think Falcons used to run a pipe like that as well that may be cheaper.
    Do you know from what year or engine possibly? If only I had some spare time to go and play in my local wreckers and find the right sized pipe. I have friends in SCA/autobarn/repco etc so might go play in their back rooms to try and find the right size.

Anyhow, moving onto PART 2 of yesterdays update.

Got the rest of the intercooler parts needed from VPW. Wow....does it add up to a small fortune reaaaaaal quick.

Then got to work. Needed to trim the 2.25-2.5 elbow a tad to fit nicely. A tip for anyone doing this, use a clamp like this to get a perfectly straight cut.

Got some of the piping trimmed and started piecing it together. Like lego really.
    Once I had it taped together, I passed it over to a welder friend who welded it together for me. Going to pick it up from him tonight and finish the install.

After that was sorted I needed to work out the throttle body section. The issue I have here is there is not much room in between the TB and the chassis. So I thought I could just chop a 90deg pipe in a pretty extreme angle, and use silicon joiner to hold it together.
    Sort of like this

As you can see, I would still have to get another bit of alu pipe welded on to the end of that, just making it all the more complicated.
    So I grabbed a spare 2.5 90deg silicone hose I had and trimmed the life out of it to test fit it on.
    Heres how it came out.

It's a much better outcome I think? A lot easier to install too.
    Just before I put it all together, I grabbed some pliers and gave the pipe a quick roll around just to make sure the pipes don't burst off (hard to imagine with 8pis hahahaha).

All finished

Also needed to mount the catch can. I ran a catch can in the cabby before and it stopped quite a bit of oily crap from going back into the intake, so was very happy to have it installed again.

Made a little bracket to hold it, and on she goes!
    Only issue is I'm struggling to find the correct hose to fit on. My local bunnings is closed for renovations and no other automotive hose is around the 21mm mark. But I'll keep searching.

Also just touching on yesterdays hose, I've fitted it all up nicely. Seams to hold very well - but time will tell.

- Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Just before I put it all together, I grabbed some pliers and gave the pipe a quick roll around just to make sure the pipes don't burst off (hard to imagine with 8pis hahahaha).
    Don,t be concerned with the pipes popping off with your mods VW wern't that crash hot with their high tech intercooler connections, with our 2.5 T5 they use a steel circlip to hold the section together problem is the clip is mounted onto die cast alloy and with every sudden acceleration deceleration is move minisculy to the point where it wore out the groove and would just pop off without warning with loads of black smoke and no power . A low tech repair fixed it forever , two screws one opposite each other around the collar stopped it from coming apart and cheaper than a new $600 plus part from VW . Those blue pipes remind me of my sons desire for new heater hose for his Moto Cross Race Bike , I paid for them begrudgingly as I kept pointing out to him that they looked good but did not make the bike go faster !

I did a quick Google search. I’m pretty sure the one that I’m thinking of is from a Mk1 Golf. I did a couple of screen shots. You might get something out of these. Enjoying your thread by the way.

Harold - the T25 van (1.8T content)-93cf1a33-1c50-4c0c-8153-e8625089756b-jpgHarold - the T25 van (1.8T content)-0f2abfe2-6b3f-40b6-b211-437ece0302c7-jpgHarold - the T25 van (1.8T content)-c5f10504-f7b8-4901-aeb0-b254146b8553-jpg
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Don,t be concerned with the pipes popping off with your mods VW wern't that crash hot with their high tech intercooler connections, with our 2.5 T5 they use a steel circlip to hold the section together problem is the clip is mounted onto die cast alloy and with every sudden acceleration deceleration is move minisculy to the point where it wore out the groove and would just pop off without warning with loads of black smoke and no power . A low tech repair fixed it forever , two screws one opposite each other around the collar stopped it from coming apart and cheaper than a new $600 plus part from VW . Those blue pipes remind me of my sons desire for new heater hose for his Moto Cross Race Bike , I paid for them begrudgingly as I kept pointing out to him that they looked good but did not make the bike go faster !
    Haha I have claimed those c clip pressure pipes for warranty before. They are pretty rubbish aren't they!! We tend to replace a lot of the spring type clamps with screw type ones as we've seen plenty of issues with them.
    Sunny you obviously don't realise that blue makes the car faster! And If your son painted the bikes callipers red, well he then would be breaking speed records in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    I did a quick Google search. I’m pretty sure the one that I’m thinking of is from a Mk1 Golf. I did a couple of screen shots. You might get something out of these. Enjoying your thread by the way.
    Thanks for that man. I actually have a mk1 and had a look at them once you brought it to my attention, it does have a pipe that enlarges a little bit, but its still too small
    Thanks for looking into it !!
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Small update alert.

Got my pipe back from my buddy and installed it. All the intercooler plumbing is now routed and complete! Hooray.
    It’s all tucked away nicely, and I’ve also left some room for the cooler to wiggle when the engine moves side to side etc.

Here’s a wonky birds eye view.

Another small, but very vital step was taken yesterday.
    I had a brainstorming sesh on Saturday and came out with a plan for the throttle cable. Essentially, the original throttle cable is too short, and I am not going to be paying for a whole new cable. So I came up with a very simple solution.
    Off to the wreckers to find the longest cable I could find, and it happened to come out of a `88 DA6 Integra.

Cap removed and cut down to the correct size needed.

Cap back on, and trimmed down to a round shape.

Made a little bracket to hold the cable out of spare aluminium.

I then found the perfect spot to join the two cables. I measured then cut the old cable off here.
    It was important to do it here, as the old throttle cable already had a bracket that would hold the cable in place.

Because the cable was from a different car, I couldn’t exactly just mount the throttle cable on to the flap. So I drilled a tiny hold and added a small bolt and nut to hold it all in place. Works perfect!!

Once that was set in its correct position, I ran the cable through and cut to size.
    I hope it will start to make sense in these few pics below. I needed everything to be very tight and make sure nothing was loose or dangling, or there would have been too much slack for the pedal.
    This was the only way I could think of without breaking the bank for a custom cable to be made up. Both new and old cables are held tightly in place by the brackets, ensuring no movement – for a perfect pedal feel.

All up the throttle cable setup cost me $16 and I’m really pleased with how it feels and works.
    All the updates are getting smaller and harder at this stage of the build as it takes me 2 days to research/find parts/test fitment etc for all the tiny little things that remain.
    But I’m in the home run and planning to have it running by the end of this month I HOPE.
    Thanks for reading ��
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

The ultimate finish to that join would have been some heat shrink wrap .

The ultimate finish to that join would have been some heat shrink wrap .
    I was actually thinking about it, but then would be hard for me to inspect for any damage or wear in the future. Perhaps I can figure another cover for it somehow?
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

How about a piece of clear plastic tube just enough to cover the join cut a slit down the side and fit it over , but hey its not that big a deal I suppose . Car makers do some pretty ordinary things so up to you .

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast