Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Harold - the T25 van (1.8T content)

Users Country Flag

Mate 2 thumbs up loving this thread please keep us updated
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    Thanks for sharing. It looks like you are enjoying your van & visiting some great places. Including people in your pics. really enhances them. Keep posting any more work you do, we don't get many T3 owners here.
    Thanks Jets. Yep, loving it a lot, it gives us a lot of freedom to go where we want and stay where we want really.
    Also I have been on this forum for many years and not seen any T25/3 builds either, so I thought I'd have to share the build for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Can I suggest one more thing to enhance the comfort , I would look into lining the inside of the roof with first some sound deadner and then some "Hull Liner "carpet , you will be amazed how much insulation it gives and the noise reduction as well [especially in the cool climes of down south] I know the original roof trim was on metal bows but a better option would be to do a hull liner job and you can do it yourself fairly easily . Great job by the way I havent got the patience to do nice woodwork like yours , the only woodwork I have done on a few vans is the stuff where I can trim over the wood with hull liner to cover my ****ty carpentry skills LOL. I would love to show you the inside shot of one van I did but those money hungry grubs at Photobucket have now rstricted me from sharing MY photos on this site .Attachment 30081Attachment 30082
    Hey bud! Thanks for that, we actually have been looking into it as well. This is only 3/4 of where we are up to in the build, I still have a few more pics to add over the weekend. We actually ended up filling all gaps with Amatelin sound/vapour/heat barrier. I did a Mt Hotham trip last weekend before the engine blew up, and was super warm!! Will post pics over the weekend.

Ps. I was using photobucket too and got caught out. I have been suggested a new link to use when uploading pics, I'll make sure to link you to it when I'm home and on my computer

Quote Originally Posted by Kachingg View Post
    Mate 2 thumbs up loving this thread please keep us updated
    Thanks mate! There's still a bit more to go until we are up to date, will add a few more details over the weekend
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Have a look in the general discussion section on the Forum I have discovered a way of getting my photos back from the mongrels as they wont allow me to retrive them from their site as per normal , but as they say where there's a will there is a way .

Have a look in the general discussion section on the Forum I have discovered a way of getting my photos back from the mongrels as they wont allow me to retrive them from their site as per normal , but as they say where there's a will there is a way .
    VWWatercooled Images < -

Theres the link I wanted to show you mate. That is what I now use to upload pics
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Just before we started adding proper insulation to Harold, there was a Vanlife Melbourne meeting held at Rubicon River, with 2 forums members from here (Brook and Elton). In total there was maybe 10 vans, with majority of them being super cool T3s. It was a pretty sweet weekend, with a projector and screen being hooked up to watch Top Gun of course.

Some pics I got (thats toms cool T3 in the background)

And this is Ty's camper next to ours.

After that weekend was a bit of a break from any camping as I pulled the whole interior back out to re insulate it for winter.

We used Amatelin 7mm thermal break sheets first, then backed by wool insulation, and finally a reflective sheeting at the end. Im no expert but this final sheet should also help against vapour.

Thermal break first on all panels

Including on the roof too. And then followed by wool

Tried to get it in as much places as we could fit it. This was us for a lot of the colder nights these past few months.

Then finally the reflective stuff on last.

After doing that step of the build, we went out for a quick weekend getaway to Mt. Macedon to test the new insulation. It was pretty damn warm to be honest, with no real concern during winter camping. We also woke up to an awesome morning full of fog!!

About a month ago I found a bike rack to suit hatch backs, here on the for sale section. I had a feeling I could modify it to better suit Harold as I wasn't happy with the current bike carrier. We were using the tow bar carrier, but that meant we couldn't open the boot if we needed to. With this new setup, it allows me to open the boot no worries.

It all worked so good minus a few slight modifications I had to make. I intend on going away for some weekends in search of Victorias best MTB tracks during summer, so should be fun.

Anxious late night quick test shows a few small mods needed to make it work.

And thats it, all finished up and ready to go.

I've got a few more things to update as per our build, stay tuned!

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by GeorgeMK1; 12-08-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

I spent the past month playing around and adding some additions to Harold again.
    I was on the fence for a while what to do with the stance, whether to lower it by 80mm all round and run some BBS RS with widened lips. If this option was taken, the van would be a strict beach cruiser and camper only, as getting off road would be hard. The other option was to have a lift kit and big muddies on widened steelies. Full roof rack set with over head fog lights etc. Issue with the second option is the engine was too weak to run any larger sized wheels at all.

Here is a quick test fit of my 17x8 BBS RS I had laying around. After this i decided against it, as much as I wanted to have a proper stance on him, I knew that practicality would be thrown out of the window.

I also did two minor upgrades that made a huge difference. I installed a proper set of Morel splits at the front and tweaters mounted on the dash. (I dont have many pics for this part unfortunately). Second install was a cup holder. We got the idea from the net of some folks in the U.S that used Honda CRV folding cup holders. We went to the local wrecker and found the cleanest one. Its so funny as it fits like a glove. Fits perfectly around the handbrake assembly and all, we were stoked! 2 bolts and it was on solid.

Then i started designing the next over head shelf before I set off to Mt Hotham for snowboarding. I made the shelf to fit small, light weight things - in this example it was my gloves, beanies, thermals, tops etc. I set out making the frame and then re-enforcing it with 6mm marine plywood. Then I finished with a door, handle and a spot for an extra speaker too!
    Its on pretty sturdy and holds plenty of useful things. Really happy with this particular addition.

My gf then gave the idea to do a nice feature wall with 'Harold' on it. So she drew it up, and then I finished off the staining. Turned out awesome and we love it!! All coming together nicely

Last edited by GeorgeMK1; 16-08-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

So this is the post where things went badly.

About 2 weeks ago I took off for a weekend in Mt Hotham to snowboard and test the van out in full blown winter mode. I took off straight after work and everything was going perfect. Stopped in Bright for a bite to eat and decided to keep going all the way to the top in the same night. After Harrietville the hills start to become like a rally course ... I was loving it. Music full pumping and me smashing through the gears going uphill.

I hadn't noticed but the water temp gauge was slowly increasing. By the time I noticed it, I had no where to stop as the road to Hotham is very tight and winding. Just before I stopped I heard a big POP and I knew that a rad hose has blown. I was now in the middle of Harrietville and Hotham with 0 reception at 12pm. So I started the motor for 20 seconds, did a u turn and then coasted the entire 15km downhill with the engine off and my butthole clenched super tight. Made it safely and from there organised the most expensive tow in my life. Regardless still have a super fun weekend boarding and my gf came all the way from Melbourne on Sunday to pick me up haha, what a champ.

At the time I was reaaaaaally pee'd off but after a day or two I was actually super excited as now I get to swap in my 1.8t from a MK4 GTi that I had initially intended to use in my MK1 GTi. I will be using a Kennedy Engineered adaptor plate (already ordered) to match the gearbox and engine. 228mm custom flywheel with VR6 clutch and plate. I've already pulled the motor out and am now replacing anything and everything I can get my hands on. Have also ordered a new radiator as I have a feeling that was a big culprit in the over heating issue. Adaptor should be here next Monday-ish and then I'll start making the custom mounts from there

No engine hoist needed in my driveway, no thank you

Last edited by GeorgeMK1; 16-08-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

How much adaptation did it require to do the swap of engines mounts electrics etc . I did a major one back in the early 80's to a Toyota Hi Ace van I owned , it had a poor little 1.6 engine or less from memory . So with no former training or qualifications I reefed out the 4 pot job and shoe horned a Holden 186 6 pot job along with its powerglide auto the two speed one . Handmade my own engine mounts and new crossmember for the auto , Fitted the Holden diff [wheels stuck out from the side by a fair bit but at least it looked mean ] shortened the tailshaft again no balancing worked fine . Lastly had to add an extra radiator to increase capacity , the original was up under the body vertical infront of the engine but did not get enough cooling for the big six . Mounted a Holden one from an EH but placed it horizontally under the front and connected it to the heater hoses . Went like stink on the road great fun at the lights . Love the work you have done so far keep up the updates on the project .

Users Country Flag
    Loving the Thread, good to see a old van get some love.

looking forwards to the review once you put in the new engine.

Good to see the insulation working, i used the 4mm Thermalbane Amatelin closed cell on my floor on top of resort found deadening and it will be used on the internal Panels as well when i get around to carpeting them (i have Resomat sound deadener and 10mm closed foam everywhere on internal walls and roof)

2017 VW T6 3200KG GVM LWB 132kW 7 Speed DSG (Campervan Conversion)

How much adaptation did it require to do the swap of engines mounts electrics etc . I did a major one back in the early 80's to a Toyota Hi Ace van I owned , it had a poor little 1.6 engine or less from memory . So with no former training or qualifications I reefed out the 4 pot job and shoe horned a Holden 186 6 pot job along with its powerglide auto the two speed one . Handmade my own engine mounts and new crossmember for the auto , Fitted the Holden diff [wheels stuck out from the side by a fair bit but at least it looked mean ] shortened the tailshaft again no balancing worked fine . Lastly had to add an extra radiator to increase capacity , the original was up under the body vertical infront of the engine but did not get enough cooling for the big six . Mounted a Holden one from an EH but placed it horizontally under the front and connected it to the heater hoses . Went like stink on the road great fun at the lights . Love the work you have done so far keep up the updates on the project .
    Hey Sunny, I haven't gotten to that stage just yet. Engine mounts will have to be custom made, I am hoping to re0use the original moustache bar and modify some longitudinal audi engine mounts to fit. Electrics should be pretty easy, this motor is the earlier 1.8T with fewer sensors and DBW so relatively easy. This particular engine came out of my old mk1 cabby, so I have already ore wired it all.
    I'm sure the your van would have been epic, I'm surprised the gearbox held up with all the extra power haha?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn23 View Post
    Loving the Thread, good to see a old van get some love.

looking forwards to the review once you put in the new engine.

Good to see the insulation working, i used the 4mm Thermalbane Amatelin closed cell on my floor on top of resort found deadening and it will be used on the internal Panels as well when i get around to carpeting them (i have Resomat sound deadener and 10mm closed foam everywhere on internal walls and roof)

Hey Bryn, yeah mate so far the amatelin has been pretty decent. How do you like the resomat? Any good for vapour and condensation?
    Theres quite a bit of brain work involved in insulating a van, I don't think I'e done it the correct way at all, but time will tell haha.

I'll be sure to update it for sure with the new engine
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast