Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Harold - the T25 van (1.8T content)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    Hey Sunny
    I'm sure the your van would have been epic, I'm surprised the gearbox held up with all the extra power haha?
    I fitted the Powerglide auto that was already built for those 6 pot motors it came with the whole engine from a wreckers .

Users Country Flag
    The Resomat's main quality is that it reduces the sound, which it really has helped, i would guess the aluminium reflective layer helps retain a little heat and the insulation with the 10mm Closed foam with reflective layer helps with the heat lost.

The only real thing that fixes condensation in cold climates is little air flow, which means some form of heating with a hatch or window ajar to reduce condensation build up.

Im looking at getting a diesel heater for next winter, as you can have all the insulation in the world, but if there is no heating, then its still going to be cold, although less cold and wet than without insulation.

For the time being, camping with enough bourbon reduces feeling the cold
    2017 VW T6 3200KG GVM LWB 132kW 7 Speed DSG (Campervan Conversion)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    I fitted the Powerglide auto that was already built for those 6 pot motors it came with the whole engine from a wreckers .
    Oh sorry mate, I guess I'm not very familiar with the Holden brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn23 View Post
    The Resomat's main quality is that it reduces the sound, which it really has helped, i would guess the aluminium reflective layer helps retain a little heat and the insulation with the 10mm Closed foam with reflective layer helps with the heat lost.

The only real thing that fixes condensation in cold climates is little air flow, which means some form of heating with a hatch or window ajar to reduce condensation build up.

Im looking at getting a diesel heater for next winter, as you can have all the insulation in the world, but if there is no heating, then its still going to be cold, although less cold and wet than without insulation.

For the time being, camping with enough bourbon reduces feeling the cold
    Hahahaha, that would fix a lot of issues that's for sure.

How exactly does the diesel heater work? I'm assuming its just a generator of sorts? I've seen quite a few heaters under the seat where it hooks up to the engines coolant system and it gets its heat from there... which sounds like a normal car heater anyway haha.

I found that when I was in Hotham (well almost), that being under the blankets wasn't cold at all for me. Only early morning having to get up and dressed was freeeezing haha. I actually got a little butane heater, but the issue is it needs an open window otherwise it uses up all the oxygen in the van - which essentially defeats the purpose I guess
    Last edited by GeorgeMK1; 17-08-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

I get my sunroofs from a huge worldwide company called Webasto they manufactuer and sell heaters for RV's and cars as well , whilst that department is separate from our sunroof side they sell all their products via a dealer network or maybe you can get one direct from their Australian office in Kirrawee .NSW .Here is their heater page , small note they are a bit dearer than some others so do your homework .Webasto: Retrofit Parking Heaters From memory when i was last at the RV and Caravan show , the unit runs off the cars own fuel and its external with the heater element part blowing heated fresh air into the cab no fuel fumes etc .Short video here not certain if this the right style for you .Webasto parking heater - functioning - YouTube
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 17-08-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah Sunny is on the ball, Webasto are the big brand of air heaters,

Im looking at the Webasto: Recreational vehicles heating solutions: Air Top

It is slightly different to the parking heater sunny lined, the air top is used a lot in Europe, its a simple heater that taps into your diesel tank, or seperate tank, its designed for long term running

Ill be using a seperate tank for the 2000 STC as i don't have easy access to my tank, and with a 120ml-240ml diesel draw per hour i can get away with a small under floor mounted tank.

There are a heap of cheap copies available on eBay that would do the job as well, as long you can buy the servicing parts.
    2017 VW T6 3200KG GVM LWB 132kW 7 Speed DSG (Campervan Conversion)

Users Country Flag
    Looking good fella, I had a T25 in the UK with a mk2 golf gti engine, 8v, shifted very well indeed! On the look out for another panel van here in Melbourne.
    I would advise against that roofing insulation though, as it does collect and hold moisture against the panels, I know its behind a vapour barrier. If you want to use it, bag it first. I insulated my van too much, (50mm and 25mm celotex) its so much now that it holds the heat in the summer!
    May see you if you get to one of the next vanlife meets (I couldn't make the one you went)

Few pic's of 'gay steve'

Harold - the T25 van (1.8T content)-img_0365-jpgHarold - the T25 van (1.8T content)-img_0364-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Regarding heating, I run an eberspacher d2 heater, 12v for the fan and glow plug, uses minimal power really, and if its on all night a coke cans worth of diesel. I plumbed it into the fuel tank sender on its own pickup (few cms off the bottom of the tank). Once you have a heater setup like this, you wont look back. I went without for years, but now i couldnt imagine winter camping without it! Keeps the mrs happy too! Chris Jeffs has just installed one in his LT, ordered a new one from the UK, same week delivery, cheaper than anywhere else.

Thanks Sunny and Bryn, will have to look into that when some cash rolls in as the van has drained my pockets. Hopefully will look into it before next winter as if it only drains as little as you say, that's a small price to pay for a comfy warm van!!

Hey Abyss, gay steve looks surprisingly straight! I've always loved panel vans, I secretly wished I found a panel van instead haha. I'm glad to hear the 8v went hard, I can only hope the 20vt will be even better.
    Mate there is a vanlife meeting happening next month which you should def check out! Unfortunately I wont have Harold on the road just as yet.

As for the insulation on the roof. I have stuck it firmly to the roof, but I do understand condensation and moisture can f*** everything up. During summer we have all windows down anyway, so hopefully that solves the moisture issue. Time will tell.
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

After dropping the engine on the weekend, I had some time on Monday to work on Harold. Figured I would split the gearbox and engine right there and then to make it easier to move them around. Engine has been put aside for now until I can figure out what to do with it. Gearbox has gone into my little assembly area.

Then Tuesday after work I cleaned the engine bay and removed things that arn't needed.

Then we get to last night were I was pretty productive. To my surprise all the parts I ordered came in yesterday at the same time.
    So we got - radiator, adaptor kit incl. flywheel, drive flange seals, and alloy fuel line.

I borrowed the VW seal remover from work and removed and replaced the seals with new ones.

While I was working on the gearbox I went by the instructions of the adaptor plate kit and cut off 7/16" off the input shaft to allow the custom flywheel to do its thing. So I used a clamp for accurate measure.

This is what the adaptor plate and custom flywheel looks like. After some testing it turns out I can't use my 228mm VR6 clutch and pressure plate as I'd hoped as the flywheel is made to work with the standard 228mm bus clutch. So I've ordered a new 228mm SACHS clutch and throw out bearing. Also did a quick test fit of the adaptor plate and everything lines up well.

On Tuesday I unexpectedly sourced a K03s turbo (in the background) from a forum member Peter, just to add in a bit more torque to the motor when driving. So will be cleaning that and throwing it on along with all new gaskets and such. Currently at my desk at work and looking on ETKA for new washers and o rings for all the turbo feed/return lines

In the picture you can also see the engine mount I was planning to use. Came off of a Audi B4. The passenger side fits fine, but the issue is on the drivers side. The turbos on the AGU and B4 Audi are both different, meaning I cant use the drivers side engine mount. So I'll have to custom make that side of the engine mount once the motor is in the van.

You can see the issue here. The turbo would go straight onto the engine mount bracket.

And that's how I ended the night last night. This is my little work space to assemble everything, at least it keeps the rain away
    Cheers!

Last edited by GeorgeMK1; 18-08-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    I borrowed the VW seal remover from work and removed and replaced the seals with new ones.

Just wondering, do you work on VWs for your day job?
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast