Thread: Fan speed resistor change T5

Fan speed resistor change T5

My low speeds on the air con went to lunch the other week so decided to replace it , ordered one from ebay seller in Victoria $11.99 . Arrived today and whilst there was only crap on TV decided to change it at 10.50PM tonight , ten minutes later and all fixed . Only dumb part is VW using a 5.5 mm headed screw to retain the resistor to the fan housing , pleeeeease VW either 5mm or 6mm would make so much more sense after all its just a gorified self tapper screw going into plastic . For anyone contemplating the job is a piece of cake to do {unlike some of VW parts changing processes } remove 3 torx screws from the under dash trim pass side remove end of dash cap at side remove 2 torx screws holding second dash trim at outer end and remove two plastic trims where a pass airbag would be , unclip the facing panel and just pull it out from top you can see the resistor quite clearly through the gap remove the plug and remove the two dumb sized screws and then refit new part and put panels back job done .

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Sunny.
    Been thinking about doing mine for a while.
    Have you changed a window switch?
    Got one on its last legs too.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

No switches as yet I am afraid , but they do come out fairly easy from the trim once the trim is removed I have seen them in place when fixing the door locks .

Hey Sunny, mine took hours to do and was a complete bitch of a job! But I did have the simple satisfaction of a DIY job I guess to look back on....

Quote Originally Posted by petenkaz View Post
    Hey Sunny, mine took hours to do and was a complete bitch of a job! But I did have the simple satisfaction of a DIY job I guess to look back on....
    Why ?????

No reason other than the fact it was me doing it! But my recollection was a long painful process that went over a weekend

Users Country Flag
    It's always a bugger the first time.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Mine was the first time as well must have been lucky I suppose , I will admit I did replace the whole fan unit a year or so back so gettting to that part of the dash area was striaght forward . The resistor was almost staring me in the face once I removed the cover parts .

Users Country Flag
    Have you got a link of which one you bought, Sunny?
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Here you go they are in Melbourne , the price has gone up by one dollar to a whopping $12.99 free postage still .Blower Motor Heater Fan Resistor VW T5 Transproter Multivan Touareg 7E0959263C | eBay