Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine management light

Users Country Flag

That's how they're setup.

Brake light switch ties into many things.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    That's how they're setup.

Brake light switch ties into many things.
    Thats pretty bizarre for a brake switch to trigger an engine fault , how many people would pull over and then as the book would suggest contact a dealer for service , yes i do know the brake light switch would disable cruise control and stop brake lights from working but hey its todays technology so anything is possible I suppose . Thanks for clarifying that anyway .

From memory a faulty brake light switch on a T4 shows as a glow plug light.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    From memory a faulty brake light switch on a T4 shows as a glow plug light.
    See in the good old days other courteous drivers would tell you your brake lights were not working , so you would check the bulbs or check the fuse or the switch itself , if this is todays way of showing a fault how many would have replaced their glow plugs or EGR or one of a dozen other things before getting to a switch on the brakes . Don,t worry guys I am not long before shuffling of this mortal coil and you wont have to worry about me griping about car technolgy on the Forum -------------------------------------------But not for a long time yet only a young 65 so plenty of time to keep annoying the crap out of the purists , unless I kill my self Moto Cross riding . HA HA .
    Oh and Happy Australia Day from an original POME bastard [Prisoner of mother England ]
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 26-01-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Users Country Flag
    ... and back then, if it was a Pommie Ford, there was only one fuse to worry about.

Users Country Flag
    I got sick of people telling me I only had one headlight working...............during the day..............or I had my lights on when the daylight running lights were both working..................so I took the globes out!
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    if this is todays way of showing a fault how many would have replaced their glow plugs
    When this appeared on the dash of my first T4, I thought it was a dud glowplug & actually phoned the dealer for a price. I can't remember now how I worked out what the real problem was, probably got the stored codes read.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12