Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EGR Blanking

EGR Blanking

Hi, I did a search on EGR blanking but couldn't find anything...Has anybody blanked the EGR on a T5 2L diesel?
    Any information would be much appreciated.Thanks.

Regards Stevan

Hi again,not sure if the 'moral issue' is getting in the way of a response here or nobody in Australia has an opinion on extending the life of their diesel engine? After reading some of the horror stories regarding EGR and Particulate filters etc I would have thought it was worthy of a chat...
    Cheers

probably not many with a 2L T5.No moral issue with me.
    Blanked mine off with a small plate, on my 2.5L a while back, after seeing the crap built up in my intake after 130K km-ish
    EGR Blanking-intakemanifold002at126k800x600-jpg

Mine's a vacuum operated valve only, not electric like the newer ones, which can possibly throw codes
    Last edited by Rebuild; 02-09-2014 at 09:39 PM.
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Users Country Flag
    I had the EGR replaced under warranty recently. Personally i wouldn't know where to find it...
    It had thrown a dash light fault and resorted to a limp home mode.
    But I'd like to know more
    Are there any schematics on T5 engines?

Users Country Flag
    I probably wouldn't do it on an electronically-controlled EGR, such as those found in the later T5s.

Earlier vacuum-operated ones, I'd probably fit a restrictor plate and see how it goes, before blanking it completely.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    In a few posts I have read on the interweb I am starting to believe a few pple in what they have been saying about erg blanking, they say the fuel consumption will go up with a blank because the way they tune these engines is to run them lean and when you blank the egr this changes the fuel burn and in turn causes mpg to go up.
    2011 T5 4MOTION Duel Cab Optioned up.

Thanks for the input guys.Yes it would seem more complicated with the electronics involved.The EGR was replaced on mine at 18,000ks while it was under warranty.In my old school diesel blanking was the first thing I did...Now faced with all this new emission control business EGR and DPF it may be Im stuck with heavy black cholesterol and no cure!

Users Country Flag
    Some of the ECU tunes do offer a change in EGR duty cycle, which may have an effect on the carbon build-up.

I think more research is required that is applicable to your engine.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

@stevan why not get your ECU remapped & EGR blanked? The way I see it is it's best of both worlds.
    You've obviously already had a bad experience with Diesel EGRs & are doing your research. I think your on the right track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, thanks again.I will get back soon when I find out more about the 2L.Remapping etc.
    Volkswagonist or anyone, do you Know of a good place around Sydney who may be able to enlighten me or perhaps do this work?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast