Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do anyone still change the oil after the first 1000km on a new diesel?

Users Country Flag

Do anyone still change the oil after the first 1000km on a new diesel?

Just thinking out loud,

Does anyone still change the oil out in after the first 1000km on a new engine anymore?

From what i gather, VW doesn't run mineral break-in oil, just 507.00 oil. (i may be wrong on this)

Wouldn't it make sense to drop the oil at 1000km, throw in a new filter and new 507 oil?

Waiting until the fixed service, on original oil, whether 7500km to 15000km doesn't seem like a good practice.

I noticed Craig's heads up about the Castrol Edge 507.00 oil on sale at Supercheap Auto on his thread and at $56 for 5 litres, it seems like a no brainer.

Users Country Flag
    No we follow VW's recommendation and use APPROVED full synthetic oil only

The $56 one in the unusual shaped bottle is the correct one
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 25-12-2016 at 08:57 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    No we follow VW's recommendation and use APPROVED full synthetic oil only
    This oil is VW Approved 507.00 Oil Hillbilly, i did look at the rear of it to see the oil codes.

The question is if anyone still does the 1000km oil change anymore?
    Last edited by Bryn23; 25-12-2016 at 09:00 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah that one's fine.

Honestly, I don't think there's anything to gain from dropping the oil so soon, otherwise it'd be part of the service schedule to protect the warranty, etc. As it stands with VW, they don't recommend a premature oil change anyway, especially if there's an oil consumption issue.

15,000kms or 12 months, is what they say.

Off the record, the 504/507-approved oils are supposedly good for 30,000km intervals, but I wouldn't take that chance under warranty.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn23 View Post

Thats the one i was talking about Its the only one for $56

I've changed oil my Honda outboards,, tractors, Can am Commander and Subaru's, its really not that hard to work out what grade, regardless if it engine oil, trans oil, diff oil. the oil code requirement is all there in the owner manual.

Same goes for using the correct grade grease, but that normally in the service manual.

15000km is a long time to drop oils, a premature oil change shouldn't be an issue if it not using a break in oil?

As for Oil Consumption issue, id like to think that that is a rare occurrence on a new engine...

I've always found, dropping the oils, diff oil makes a huge difference, well the diff normally sounds smoother with a better oil.

I've normally dropped the engine oil at 1000km, as there is normally crap still left in the engine (but this is in Gas engines), i'd rather that stuck in the filter and changed out than spending another 14000km of forcing oil through a filter with small metal shavings.

But if it isn't worth it in these new Diesel engines, then i might not do it...

Have you cut open a filter and looked at the oil in a new VW diesel after the 15km service???

Users Country Flag
    Its your vehicle you can do whatever you feel you should. Most of us follow what VW recommend.

I have owned 42 cars in my life and always followed the makers instructions. Only one fried a motor and that was not the oils fault.
    Have serviced cars, light trucks, chainsaws, several petrol and diesel tractors, 4 different outboards, Lister diesel generators and a Hamilton V8 jetboat that had a habit of dropping valve seats and tappet tensioning nuts regularly.

I should also point out, the plan is to run it in 1000km in the first week with a leisurely drive though the mountains, well the little back hills of Brisbane, Scenic Rim, Buyna Mountains then through Mount Mee avoiding highways to keep the speed and load on the engine variable and below 3000 rpm

I don't believe sitting at 100km on a highway the best way to run in an engine but people do it.

Then in to the shed for a hopefully three month Campervan build and then a 8000-10000km trip out to Ayes Rock (Uluru) via South Australia and back via The East Coast starting in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Its your vehicle you can do whatever you feel you should. Most of us follow what VW recommend.

I have owned 42 cars in my life and always followed the makers instructions. Only one fried a motor and that was not the oils fault.
    Have serviced cars, light trucks, chainsaws, several petrol and diesel tractors, 4 different outboards, Lister diesel generators and a Hamilton V8 jetboat that had a habit of dropping valve seats and tappet tensioning nuts regularly.
    Chainsaw's, i had this Stihl, its was like an old car, had a certain start up, worked every time, but if you followed the manual, it would flood it self. best chainsaw i ever owned.

I'm wondering if VW have a run in oil additive in the oil, that might explain why VW don't drop the oil... ill have to check on this, as this may be why VW don't recommend as Umai pointed out..

I normally buy the service manuals when i buy a car, bike, as has all the info needed to re-torque bits and pieces... i do what they recommend...just as using the oils spec'd for the engine.

Its just hard getting around in my head, having oil with potential swarf in there until the first service.

properly overthinking it, it's just a habit to change over at 1000km.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast