Support VWWC

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do anyone still change the oil after the first 1000km on a new diesel?

Users Country Flag

Bryn you're not over thinking it as it does make sense. The choice is yours really and how much is it gonna hurt? It's not like VW are going to analyse the oil at the first service, it's just gonna go in the bin! Do it if it makes you feel more confident.
    I'm going to be doing mine between factory recommended services due to the issue with my model and the EGR breaking down internally and allowing aluminium particles to score the bores causing excessive oil usage. I'll be getting the oil tested and monitoring the usage if any, hopefully not.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Cheers, Markee

I does make sense from my prospective, I do plan on keeping this van for a while.

The key is finding out if the initial oil has a run in additive. i'll hit the service department up in the new year as this could be the defining answer.

I don't really believe VW, has the customers best interest art heart, they make a heap of coin from parts, and once the warranty is over they are looking at making more money.

Some of the prices and discussions on this forum point to VW making a lot of money from charging replacement parts for parts that have known issues.
    Last edited by Bryn23; 26-12-2016 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling error

Users Country Flag
    Yes mate I'm just going thru the process of buying parts from OS to update what is a known problem, VW AUS want $400+ for some vacuum hoses that I can get for half the price elsewhere. It's ridiculous but it's the price you have to pay with out of warranty vehicles like these unfortunately.

Keep us posted re the type of oil.

Users Country Flag
    As far as I could find out it doesnt. Its just plain 504/507 Castrol Professional III or maybe in a petrol it will be 502.505..

I run both of mine on the 504/507.

No one on here has ever mentioned run in oil in a VW that I can remember

All car dealers are similar I can remember when an EH Holden was less than $2500 and if bought in individual parts was something like

$14,000.

If you want to do it, do it you seem to be hell bent on doing so.

I asked when I bought mine about a 1500k change and they said No VW say first change at 12 months or 15,000k so thats what i did and have had no problems
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

[QUOTE=Bryn23;1211590]I should also point out, the plan is to run it in 1000km in the first week with a leisurely drive though the mountains, well the little back hills of Brisbane, Scenic Rim, Buyna Mountains then through Mount Mee avoiding highways to keep the speed and load on the engine variable and below 3000 rpm

I don't believe sitting at 100km on a highway the best way to run in an engine but people do it.

Not sure which way you traversed the road up to Mt Mee and beyond but it does note quite qualify as "little " that's quite a good climb from Dayboro with lots of twisty uphill climbs . As for the highway speeds this time of year around Brissy you would be hard pressed to sit on any fixed speed for too long traffic / speed cameras etc will guarantee the traffic will be up and down all over the shop .

Hi All, Hope you had a Merry Christmas.
    Just a quick question re: the Supercheap Castrol 504/507 oil on special.
    Is there a "shelf life" regarding un-opened oils?
    Considering purchasing a few 5lt containers.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robjohns2424 View Post
    Hi All, Hope you had a Merry Christmas.
    Just a quick question re: the Supercheap Castrol 504/507 oil on special.
    Is there a "shelf life" regarding un-opened oils?
    Considering purchasing a few 5lt containers.
    Thanks
    As far as i know, oil doesn't go off if unopened. if you had it lying around for 5 years, then maybe it could turn, but it is oil and it shouldn't.

Users Country Flag
    Someone said 2 years a while ago Will be on special again well before then
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

[QUOTE=Sunny43.5;1211723]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn23 View Post
    I should also point out, the plan is to run it in 1000km in the first week with a leisurely drive though the mountains, well the little back hills of Brisbane, Scenic Rim, Buyna Mountains then through Mount Mee avoiding highways to keep the speed and load on the engine variable and below 3000 rpm

I don't believe sitting at 100km on a highway the best way to run in an engine but people do it.

Not sure which way you traversed the road up to Mt Mee and beyond but it does note quite qualify as "little " that's quite a good climb from Dayboro with lots of twisty uphill climbs . As for the highway speeds this time of year around Brissy you would be hard pressed to sit on any fixed speed for too long traffic / speed cameras etc will guarantee the traffic will be up and down all over the shop .
    The hills we have here are nothing compared to ones i have driven in NZ and Europe...Mt Mee is a little bump compared to what i class as a mountain i lived up that way when i was young, know the road pretty well. The Hills around here will give the engine a good workout, plus they are more enjoyable than on the highway.

The road to Mt Glorious from Samford is a nice little climb, i'm surprise how little use Mt Glorious get, but QLD seems to be a beach first culture first before forest.

You right about the traffic at the moment, took over 3 hrs from the CBD to Coolum on Xmas day....stop start the most of the way

Re 1000km oil drop.
    I've got a petrol RS.

I requested this in the contract when I bought our RS.

The reply was "can do that, never done before."

Also requested a cylinder compression test and a full wheel alignment.
    Same reply as as above. ie never done before.

Car goes for its oil drop tomorrow in fact. I will try to get them to kept the oil/filter to have a look.

My background tells me this is the right action and I am happy to have it done.

Re run in:
    I bought Skoda 100km from home, so I was 2nd and 3rd gear runs down the motorway (80% throttle) and taking every off ramp. That was the first 100, then flogged it till 1000km. And I'm just back from a mountain run. Now at 1300 ish and service tomorrow.

My 2 cents anyhow.

Skoda RS 230
    SG-TP-AB RS230 - Timeline
    Last edited by HPRS230; 27-12-2016 at 04:22 PM.
    Skoda RS 230
    "The Grey Ghost"
    SG-TP-AB RS230 - Timeline

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast